Home General

Political & Social Debate

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    Where’s the debate? Posts seem one sided.

• motie2motie2 Master
    @Londy3

May I presume you are referring to the one recently posted in The World We Live in folder?

If so, yeah, it makes its point.
  • PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    @Londy3
    I don't know about shit bag. 
    Maybe she is just the contents of said shit bag?
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    Some put an awful amount of faith in a corrupt and broken system such as voting to change what the politicians created.  
  • motie2motie2 Master
    I’m with ya! Let’s get rid of voting altogether. It’s a corrupt and broken system, as you wrote. Who gives a damn about majority rule? 
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited August 24
    We don't have a majority rule system, that's what they are brainwashing people to think, that we live in a democracy.   🤪
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Former President Donald Trump

The former president often brags about appointing the Supreme Court justices who overturned Roe v. Wade, ending the constitutional right to an abortion. After dodging questions about when in pregnancy he believes the procedure should be restricted, Trump announced last spring that decisions on access and cutoffs should be left to the states. He said he would not sign a national abortion ban into law. But he’s declined to say whether he would try to limit access to the abortion pill mifepristone. He told Time magazine that it should also be left up to states to determine whether to prosecute women for abortions or to monitor their pregnancies.

Trump’s mantra for one of his top policy priorities is “DRILL, BABY, DRILL.” Trump, who in the past cast climate change as a “hoax” and harbors a particular disdain for wind power, says it’s his goal for the U.S. to have the cheapest energy and electricity in the world. He’d increase oil drilling on public lands, offer tax breaks to oil, gas and coal producers, speed the approval of natural gas pipelines and roll back the Biden administration’s aggressive efforts to get people to switch to electric cars, which he argues have a place but shouldn’t be forced on consumers. He has also pledged to re-exit the Paris Climate Accords, end wind subsidies and eliminate regulations imposed and proposed by the Biden administration targeting energy-inefficient kinds of lightbulbs, stoves, dishwashers and shower heads.

Trump refused to accept his loss to Biden in 2020, and he hasn’t committed to accepting the results this time. He’s repeatedly promised to pardon the Jan. 6 defendants jailed for assaulting police officers and other crimes during the attack on the Capitol. He vows to overhaul the Justice Department and FBI “from the ground up,” aggrieved by the criminal charges the department has brought against him. He also promises to deploy the National Guard to cities such as Chicago that are struggling with violent crime, and in response to protests, and has also vowed to appoint a special prosecutor to go after Biden.

The former president has sought to distance himself from “Project 2025,” despite his close ties to many of its key architects. He has nonetheless vowed an overhaul of the federal bureaucracy, which he has long blamed for blocking his first term agenda, saying, “I will totally obliterate the deep state.” The former president plans to reissue the Schedule F order stripping civil service protections. He says he’d then move to fire “rogue bureaucrats,” including those who ”weaponized our justice system,” and the “warmongers and America-Last globalists in the Deep State, the Pentagon, the State Department, and the national security industrial complex.” Trump has also pledged to terminate the Education Department and wants to curtail the independence of regulatory agencies like the Federal Communications Commission.

Trump promises to mount the largest domestic deportation in U.S. history — an operation that could involve detention camps and the National Guard. He’d bring back policies he put in place during his first term, like the Remain in Mexico program and Title 42, which placed curbs on migrants on public health grounds. And he’d revive and expand the travel ban that originally targeted citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries. After the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel, he pledged new “ideological screening” for immigrants to bar “dangerous lunatics, haters, bigots, and maniacs.” He’d also try to deport people who are in the U.S. legally but harbor “jihadist sympathies.” He’d seek to end birthright citizenship for people born in the U.S. whose parents are both in the country illegally.

• motie2motie2 Master
    An appeal to decency to my fellow white men
    ELECTION 2024
    Robert Kowles - Guest Columnist

There are many irresponsible things white American men say that we are not held to account for, and in this way, we are permitted a freedom we often fail to acknowledge as exclusive.

When a woman speaks truth to a man, she is dismissed as “nasty.” When a Black athlete questions systems that disproportionately harm those from their community, white folk label them “unappreciative.”

In the wake of President Biden’s endorsement of Kamala Harris for the job he now holds, I’ve heard and read hundreds of pejorative comments about the vice president’s qualifications, patriotism, and even her laugh. Certainly, white men have had their qualifications and patriotism questioned, at times, but the lack of substance and the vitriol behind the attacks leveled at Ms. Harris are uniquely reserved for women and people of color in our society.

In 2016, when he faced a formidable female rival in Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump simply dismissed her as a “nasty woman.” This approach was especially effective amongst white men, as it played upon resentment fueled by a gradual ceding of authority in society.

That same year, Trump publicly stated that “the only card (Clinton) had was the woman’s card,” ignoring her significant track record of political service. In front of a large crowd, he made a derogatory and lewd comment about Clinton’s backside. With that comment, a major party’s presidential candidate reduced the worth of women to their physical appearance.

The crowd laughed, and at future rallies, men showed up wearing T-shirts that read, “Trump That Bitch.”

Today, faced with another accomplished woman, Trump and his followers plan to follow the same pattern of indecency.

When it became clear VP Harris may become the Democratic nominee, the former president went after her laugh, citing it as evidence she was “crazy” and “nuts,” playing upon the historical trope that women who laugh are unstable and potentially dangerous. Recently, in an interview with Fox News, he claimed that world leaders would view Harris as a “play toy” and “walk all over her,” referencing no evidence other than her physical appearance.

Right-wing columnist Matt Walsh followed suit, implying Harris slept her way to the top and “made a career out of begging for handouts from powerful men.”

When have you ever heard of a powerful man’s rise being attached to former romantic relationships? It is assumed that men do what they want with their sexuality, whereas women use it as a means of tapping into a power structure they are left outside of.

What does this say about our society and the cynicism of men who use this power structure to serve their selfish needs?

The attacks directed at Harris do not stop with appeals to misogyny. They also play upon longtime racial fears and stereotypes held by white voters. It shouldn’t surprise us that the same man who baselessly insinuated Barack Obama was born in a foreign land would use the same tactic against Harris in 2020. Trump has never made such claims about a white politician.

‘OUR DEI VICE PRESIDENT’

Republican Rep. Tim Burchett argued that Harris was “our DEI vice president,” — diminishing the role that her work as San Francisco district attorney, California attorney general and U.S. senator played in her selection — while saying nothing of Trump’s running mate, JD Vance, a white man with no political accomplishments in his 18 months in public office.

At a rally in his hometown of Middletown, Ohio, Vance attacked Harris for not demonstrating adequate appreciation toward the United States. That’s rich; Vance, a white man, felt politically safe scolding a Black woman for her perceived lack of gratitude toward America. Unfortunately, there is a crowd that will eat this up — white men.

Are white men the only ones spewing racist and sexist rhetoric? Certainly not, but we have been the greatest promoters of it, and we are the ones who have historically capitalized on it the most.

I’m not asking them to vote for Kamala Harris, but I am asking that white men take responsibility for the role they play in American political dialogue.

Ms. Harris may not care what you say or laugh at, but do you want the women in your life to be defined within the narrow limitations of Trump’s idea of a palatable female? Do you wish to cast doubt upon the qualifications of people of color you know who have worked hard to get where they are in life?

As white men, we have a responsibility to conscientiously utilize, but not abuse, the advantages we have been given. We did not earn this position based on merit, and it’s important that we remember this as we speak of those who have not been granted the same historical and societal privileges.

Robert Kowles is a New York City public school teacher in Harlem who writes opinion pieces in his free time.

• Londy3Londy3 Master
    The United States IS the most corrupt government ever. They do not have your best interest. Believe what you want.  
  • motie2motie2 Master
    Hey, remember this?

AMERICA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

I’ll even say, please.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    Don't misunderstand, I love what America was.  I hate the corrupt government it keeps.  
  • motie2motie2 Master
    You get two choices: 
    1) Win the next election
    2) Riot and assault law enforcement.

And yeah, there’s a lot of hatred.
    Too bad we’re not like Russia.
    Workers’ Paradise.
    Clean streets.
    No crime.
    No hatred….. except for those Ukrainian Nazis.
  • Nope, nope, no comment😖
  • motie2motie2 Master
    No ad hominem attacks? Sick as I am, I’m disappointed. (Since the guy from Vermont fled the forum, you guys are no fun to tease…..)

We all remember January 6, when crazed BLM rioters attacked our nation’s Capitol, carrying Confederate flags and Trump flags, breaking doors and windows, and assaulting Capitol police officers.

No, wait: It was Hillary Clinton who called upon her supporters to march on the Capitol, after winning the popular vote by almost 2.9 million votes, but losing in the Electoral College. What a nasty woman! What a sore loser!

Or, maybe my memories are confused: wasn’t it Al Gore who called for attacking the Capitol after the Supreme Court handed the election to his opponent? 

Trump and his MAGA supporters insist he won the 2020 election (probably by a landslide), so he is now coming to the end of his second term as President. How is he eligible for a third term in office? That goes against the Constitution. 

Oh, right: who cares?

• motie2motie2 Master

HYANNISPORT—Declaring that “enough is enough,” the entire Kennedy family is changing its last name, a spokesman for the former Kennedys announced on Monday.

“It is with deep regret that we have chosen to no longer be known as ‘The Kennedys,’” the spokesman, formerly known as Harland Fitzgerald Kennedy, said. “Additionally, thousands of Kennedys around the world who are unrelated to us have made the same decision.” 

Explaining the impetus behind the switch, the spokesman said, “We could overlook the brain-worm and the dead bear, but this was the last straw.”

He said that the ex-Kennedys had not yet selected a new last name, but added, “At this point, even Lecter would be better.”

• @opipeman
    My "I give a shit well" has run completely dry. 
  • @PappyJoe;
    Now that I have a puppy to frustrate me, I'm less inclined to give a shit as well.
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    🐫🦶=💩🧠
  • motie2motie2 Master

<<I am not a Liberal Snowflake. My feelings aren't fragile. My heart isn't bleeding. I am a badass believer in human rights. My strength is in the service of others. But if my belief in equity, empathy, goodness, and love indeed makes me or people like me snowflakes, then you should know: Winter is coming.>>

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited September 2
    Would you do us the courtesy of a translation or interpretation of your post? I, for one, am too uninformed to understand it.
  • daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    “Would you do us the courtesy of a translation or interpretation of your post? I, for one, am too uninformed to understand it.” 

It’s simple misogynistic meme that the orange guy’s propaganda department generated to feed the sheep. Probably targeted at low dough single or divorced guys who feel passed by. 
  • @daveinlax

Thank you for trying to explain, but I still don’t get the “camel-toe” post. Of course, I’m old and easily distracted by shiny things.