Home Ask an Expert
Options

Etiquette of Pipe Smoking in Public

13»

Comments

• Options
    @jacobramsey74
    Huh, as a boomer, I read your compliment comment “you’re f’in sick man” as ‘you’re sick in the head’…not a compliment to a boomer….ahh, the tides of slang through the ages across generations🙂
  • Options
    @jacobramsey74
    Oh, by the way, as one ages, you’re give a shit factor goes down and you don’t much care what others think of you.  Just don’t be rude and respect other people’s space, and they should respect yours.  Think about it, why should you care if someone else sees you smoking a pipe and giving you the stink eye?  It’s for your enjoyment, not theirs.  Unless you are smoking a pipe just to be different, stand out and be noticed?  If so, you should probably drop the pipe.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Other than at the shop I rarely smoke a pipe in public but I do smoke cigars every week at a summer concert series in the park. My strategy is to get there early set up somewhat apart so that anyone who sits near us knows what’s up. In all the years we’ve been going I’ve only had a handful of comments to which I reply, “I’m keeping the mosquitoes away!”
  • Options
    @mapletop;
    A few years ago my bride and I went to an outdoor flea market. I lit my pipe and some women that was up wind of me looked at me and started coughing. Aside from that experience I haven't really noticed any reactions. I rarely smoke in public, but I do try to avoid blowing smoke in anyone's direction.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

Yeah that compliment came from a high schooler lol.
  • Options
    @TakeMeToTheShire;
    Your statement "At this point in time, with the ubiquity of pot-smoking, I don’t see how anyone could legitimately complain about pipes." is absolutely profound. I never thought of it that way. 
  • Options
    " I smell it now while I’m out and about way more than I smell cigarettes, especially in traffic."

@TakeMeToTheShire dude, where the hell do you live? You do that crap here in NC and they'll bust your ass 
    :D 

• Options
     Since they made recreational weed legal here in Montana, people smoke that $#!+ everywhere.  Freaking skunk smell😖.  I was sitting in a restaurant eating dinner when I smelled skunk.  I turned around and there was an asshole with a hoodie(hood up indoors) toking on a joint then putting it under his hoodie until the next drag.  WTF…smoking/vaping in public places is not legal here in Billings.  A rude muther-fer in my opinion, it made for a crappy evening.  By his interactions with staff, I think he was employed there, but off shift.  I didn’t bother to lodge a complaint, I could see it would go nowhere.  I have not been back since.  It was not a cheap dive hole-in-the-wall either.
  • Options
    @TakeMeToTheShire

I have had a similar occurrence but it was a 20 something adult say that to me. I just looked at him and said, "We are all going to die eventually."

I saw a meme the other day. It read:

Eat Healthy
    Exercise Daily
    Abstain from alcohol...

And die anyway.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Wow.  I’ve yet to encounter pot-smoking in a restaurant but I’m sure I will at some point.  I also think it stinks and makes for a very unpleasant atmosphere.  
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    At my Grandfather's visitation in 1974, his old(90 something) next door neighbor took me aside to give me the secrets to a long life. 1.- get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. 2.- never use tobacco at any time. 3.- never let alcohol touch your lips. 4.- keep your feet dry. I still have some work to do on the first three.
  • Options
    @opipeman
    And yet George Burns lived to be 100 smoking cigars, drinking and staying up late. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    I guess there is no easy secret to living long.
  • Options
    It’s all a matter of luck.
  • Options
    I actually don't care what people think about what I do.  They can look away, walk away and mind their own damn business.  I'm not up into theirs so...