Home Ask an Expert
Options

Etiquette of Pipe Smoking in Public

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2018
    Ah yes, seasons greetings of "screw you" to all those with differing opinions.
    There's no room in this country for independent thinkers!!!!
    Such are indeed satanic enemies of God (Pazuzu perhaps?) and must be condemned and ostracized by us decent Americans, right?
    Let's keep THAT holiday spirit (sorry: Christmas spirit) going......

"Deck the halls with blood of liberals, fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la." <sarcasm should be obvious.>
  • Options
    Forget about "in public." What about indoors? A repost from our own TPL archives.......

https://thispipelife.com/tpl-article/22/

INDOOR SMOKING TIPS

Let us paint a scenario for you. It's the holiday season and you're all geared up to walk outside and enjoy one of your favorite blends in one of your favorite pipes. A quick glance through the window paints a picture so beautiful and serene you could frame it. Opening the door however, exposes you to a bonafide frozen hellscape, courtesy of Mother Nature. It's really cold now. Too cold. Actually enjoying your pipe outdoors is now next to impossible. So, what now?

After you've warmed back up inside, you have a pressing decision to make. Are you going to find a way to brave the elements to smoke, or would you rather figure out a way to attempt smoking indoors?

It's possible that smoking indoors is frowned upon in your home, especially with guests around. It doesn't matter how great your blends may smell because some lingering scents can seep into clothes, carpets, and nearby furniture. Not to mention a lack of consideration for others can turn any warm family moment into a passive aggressive death match. Bothering your potentially non smoke friendly guests may sound preferable to the whole freezing your butt off thing, but it's our thoughtfulness and considerate nature that truly marks a distinguished man of the pipe (that and smoking all these kick-ass blends)

No one can blame you for choosing to stay in your own well heated home, but dealing with the timely influx of family and guests who may not enjoy the effects of your hobby complicates things. Some smokers may opt to spend more time at local smoker's lounges during the winter months, but that might not always be the most economical solution.

We are pipe lifers, and we endure. The solution to this entire holiday challenge is to make proper use of ventilation. In a room where the air circulates properly, the smells never have a chance to set in and smoke is not allowed to congregate around your relatives. As I'm sure the A/C unit in your home is dedicated to keeping the home above absolute zero during this time, you can't rely on that ceiling fan for this one. That's why we think any smoker worth their salt should keep a freestanding household fan or two in the closet for just these occasions. It's best to position yourself near an open window (don't ever let these people say you don't love them) with the fan positioned to blow your smoke outside. You're probably going to need a blanket to enjoy this, but on the bright side it can cover up that god-ugly Christmas sweater you're wearing for a little while.

With this little trick you can smoke as much as you can bear this holiday season, while still in relative comfort, and without disturbing any potential houseguests too much. And now that you've had a good bowl, you can finally figure out why there always seems to be more and more guests every year.

• Options
    Goodness gracious. I went through that scenario over Thanksgiving with family here, but fortunately live where it's almost always comfortable to smoke outside in the winter if I choose to do so.
  • Options
    @Londy3  Completely agree with you.
  • Options
    @Londy3 Moral outrage is the popular thing on social media. If there wasn't a friendly pipe community on twitter, I'd consider leaving it. Everyone is offended all the time, and it's quite frustrating.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2020
    I seldom give the proverbial rat's ass about people who walk around offended, making their grievances widely known. 
    What ever happened to disagreeing without immediately attacking those with whom some disagree. They are as entitled to their femi-nazi beliefs as some of us are our fascist POV's.
  • Options
    Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    @Bloodhound61 point taken, and i try to be polite and conscience of others and promote pipe smoking, and i dont fart at the table or in public,..when i can help it. But like alot of folks, i guess i get tired of people pushing their ideals down my throat. I read a piece not long ago where smokers far outway non smokers in this country still, but they lead you to belive different, like were the leppers or something. They try to make us feel filthy for smoking, well im just not politically correct, so for the ones who stick their noses up, just make sure its not near my flume.....
  • Options
    So THAT'S where snow comes from...
  • Options
    Don't eat the snow.
  • Options
    ...... And watch out where the Huskies go.
  • Options
    And Right About That Time, People
    A Fur-Trapper,
    Who Was Strictly From Commercial
    Had the Unmitigated Audacity
    To Jump Up From Behind My Igloo
    Peak-a-Boo-ooo
    And He Started into Whipping
    On My Favorite Baby Seal
    With a Lead-Filled Snow-Shoe
    That Got Me Just About as Evil
    As an Eskimo Boy Can Be

• Options
    @motie2 We had one neighbor with two Siberian Huskies back when I was a kid, living in Game Bird Village of Eugene, OR. I very well remember the day I saw our cat (named "Fluffy" by my little sisters) chasing those two dogs literally "down the street"!
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin

Sweet! I enjoyed a one day visit to Eugene back in the day. Came to hear Kesey.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @motie2 - You posted 2 documents earlier in this tread I just wanted to thank you for.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    It is my pleasure to share what I've gathered. That kind of explains the free library folder.
  • Options
    Outside of my monthly pipe club meeting, almost all my pipe smoking is alone in my garage / woodshop. Actually, I should call it my smoking lounge with power tools.

Since one of my highest priorities, is the health of my asthmatic bride, Before I start deciding pipe and blend, I make sure I have the time for smoking and shower afterwards. She has told me multiple times, that she doesn't care what I smoke, just wash before I come near her again.

If someone visited and came into my smoking lounge, I would ascertain would the smoke bothers them, does this interaction have to happen now, can we talk from a distance, can my wife answer your question? As an example, our Hispanic neighbors occasionally have a fiesta, into the night. I don't care, but others might be annoyed. Basically, I just want to live in harmony with everyone.  
  • Options
    @Winton
    Fiesta!  I want neighbors like that.  Wait, I guess I kinda do....more of  “redneck-fest’s” I guess?  Heck, I don’t care, fun times are fun times, just like $20 is $20 🙂. It’s good to have great neighbors.
  • Options
    I do all pipe smoking outside, actually prefer it that way.When people get a whiff it’s all been positive.
  • Options
    Very few places where we can smoke in public. I only smoke at home or in a tobacco shop, so I’m able to smoke what I want. 
  • Options
    Earlier last week, my brother in FL, posted a picture of him and a bunch of his friends. They were smoking their favorite tobacco. Some of them in shorts. 

I am still trying to figure out what animal is leaving large footprints in my back yard. I am even more interested in the animal that left tracks in the snow on my garage roof.. I suspect it was a squirrel. 
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 2022
    @Winton
    I hate squirrels! They're destructive little things...
    And besides, they're just rodents with furry tails...
  • Options
    @Winton
    Are the tracks fresh?  If not, maybe they melted to look “large”.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    They were probably sasquatch prints that froze to look small. 
  • Options
    I don't know what it is, but I feel uncomfortable smoking in front of people I don't know. I have had many complements on the fact that I smoke a pipe, even a "you're F'ing sick man", but yet I still feel like people are bothered by it. I can't seem to enjoy a good bowl while in public. 
  • Options
    @jacobramsey74
    Just my opinion, but I feel a lot of that apprehension you're feeling has to do with not knowing for sure how people will receive it.
    Personally, I usually start off by saying, " It really doesn't matter one way or another to me, but do you mind if I smoke (or continue to smoke) my pipe?" 
    That way the determinant is on them after getting their answer(s).
    Of course if the answer is yes, I still try to position myself downwind and keep an eye on their diminear while smoking. Any hint from them that it bothers them, I simply allow my pipe to go out.
    Oh, and I NEVER smoke around children. We have several in th he neighborhood and when they come by to visit, the pipe is always put aside and relighted only after they've gone. A few parents have commented to me how thankful they are for my courtesy and thoughtfulness. 
    Didn't mean this to be so long.  Sorry I got carried away...
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    I couldn't have said it better meself.