Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Loot! - What's your latest tobacco purchase?

Comments

• Options
    @vtgrad2003, agreed.  I just got an email from them saying they are sold out.  And the drop didn't occur until this morning.  I checked them at 0730 and they were out.
    They must have received about 3 tins.
    Got mine from smokingpipes.com
  • Options
    @mfresa TP had 2000 tins at midnight.  TP is owned by Sutliff.  They were hit hard last night at midnight
  • Options
    @Balisong
    You should sell the rights for that picture to C&D; it would look nice on the front page of their site. 
  • Options
    @AceFour, I guess I have to stay up till midnight on November 30th from now on. 
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003 I saw that you had burley flake #2 on your list and wanted to suggest burley flake #5 and C&D lunchtime blues; as va-burs go they are quite good.
  • Options
    I’m putting both Wilke No. 515 and Rumcake on my Secret Santa wish list. Thanks.
  • Options
    @mapletop I hit that sale as well mainly to do a comparison with 14 year old stuff I have with #192 and #524.   Haven't compared #192 yet.  Here was my notes on #524

Wilke 524 that is 14 years old. Jar note still has that lakatia smell and something else. Perhaps a plum or dark fruit aroma.

First light, Latakia reminiscing of 90s Dunhill blends. Definitely stronger than London Mixture but not quite as strong as Nightcap.

It has a nice mouth feel. There is a brown sugar note in the background. Last half of the bowl, dare I say, reminded me of a Dr. Pepper without the fizz.

Fresh stuff time!

Bag note, well nothing distinctive. Smells like tobacco.

First light and this straight up reminds me of my first love,. Dunhill London Mixture. All the memories are flooding back from late 90s.

Mid-bowl the oriental dominates with spiciness. I could be wrong here, it is entirely possible that it is the Cyprian. Now I am curious if the 14 year old is with Syrian Latakia and this with Cyprian? Anyone remember when the warehouse fire was that destroyed the US supply? Warehouse was in Greenville, SC I think.

Either way, the aged stuff has rounded the rough edges on the blend. That is not to say the fresh stuff is not enjoyable. On the contrary,. Both are excellent!

• Options
    A note of caution with regard to ordering from Wilke; the Rum Cake was so strong that plastic bags might as well be screens, all the other blends in the shipment are now English aromatics.
    Contacted them via e-mail, we'll see.
    Weird because you would have thought this has occurred before and they would have used an aluminized bags to prevent it happening.
  • Options
    @mapletop
    I ordered some bulk Sutliff “California Dream” from smokingpipes a few years ago, it was the only tobacco in the order. It had a very, very strong stench, yes I said stench, of Latakia.  Did I mention, I hate Latakia😖.  Anyway, 2-3-4? years later and that batch is still full on un-smokeable Latakia stench nastiness for me, how guys smoke that stuff is a mystery to me?  At first I though that it may have been stored next to some of that filthy Latakia and that it might “come around” after several years and lose the disgustingness.  Nope!  I wonder now if maybe when they were portioning out bulk tobaccos for orders some jamoke spilled some and mixed and combined the tobaccos?  I order another 4oz. of the Sutliff  “California Dream” right away, it did not have a hint of Latakia and was the tobacco blend I thought it was suppose to be.  I really wanted to stick that mason jar full of the “nasty tobaccy” in somebody’s? at SPC’s “where the sun don’t shine”.  It would not have been worth the effort of a road trip to South Carolina I guess🤔
  • Options
    So Wilke said they normally double bag the Rum cake blend, which in my opinion would do nothing to control that intense of an aroma; any way they are sending a replacement order less the aromatic so I can't complain about the customer service

FYI  I tried the Rum cake blend this evening, after drying it overnight, I can not recommend it, there is a sort of soapy after taste. But who knows may be it better when its wet
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    I concur 100% about Latakia. Now you just have to come around to the fact that Perique sucks too  :D
  • Options
    Recently, I needed to purchase some tobacco to someone. I also included a pouch of Half & Half. After 10 years of smoking a pipe, I have never tried it.  I really enjoy it. My Nic tolerance is going down. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii  For some of us, it's like an obsession, I know I have more tobacco than I'm likely to be able to smoke in my lifetime, but, I keep buying more.
    I would note that the FDA / democrats plans for tobacco are a factor but..........
    I need an intervention, that or a tobacco conservatorship. I wonder if there a 12 step program for pipe smokers / collectors?
    Does that make me a tobacco whore? Oh I'm so ashamed,  (NOT)

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar now that's some well age gum.....
  • Options
    edited December 2021
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Im guilty of the same crime. I have way more tobacco than I could ever smoke.
  • Options
    My problem is, I don’t have a very big house, so storage is a problem.  I have to dig to the back of cupboards and shelves through layers of jars.  I have to remember what I have and where it’s at……right😳.