Home Pipes & Tools
Options

What to light a pipe with

Comments

• Options
    Continued:

How and Why to Bleed a Lighter Before Refilling

Butane lighters offer a great deal of efficiency and reliability but there are occasions on which they will fail to light. This could be for many reasons but the most common is that there is air trapped in the reservoir. The air, of course, interrupts the fuel supply to the jet which results in a lighter that either fails to light altogether or which lights and then immediately goes out; this may happen over and over. 

Most often, a lighter that is failing to provide a sustained flame may have air trapped in the reservoir, fuel supply line or both. On some lighters, one will be able to see these components. Most high-end cigar lighters, however, have cases which makes this impossible. To determine if this is the problem, one can simply hold down the fuel release and listen for the hissing sound of gas escaping. It there is no hiss audible, there is likely a fuel problem and the lighter will need to be professionally serviced/repaired.

One can hold the lighter up to their ear while holding down the ignitor button to ensure that fluid is flowing out of the reservoir. There may be a sputtering sound which generally indicates that air is being discharged from the fuel line. This can be done until the sound is an even hiss which means that fuel is flowing evenly from the lighter and that it is ready to ignite.. Be careful when holding lighter to face and ear as to not actually light the lighter.

Never attempt to adjust any of the valves, aside from the flame height knob, without professional assistance. This will generally void the warranty and make the situation much worse than it was to begin with, the last thing one wants with an expensive lighter!

Bleed tank before refilling :

1.) Use a small screwdriver or something to depress the fill valve on your lighter. 

2.) Depress the valve to release the remaining fluid in the lighter. Make sure lighter is upside down with the fill valve facing upwards . Make sure lighter is away from your face or any type of open flame. Be careful as the gas coming out is extremely flammable. Make sure all fluid is out and if you do not hear any more hissing the lighter is now empty and ready to refill .

3.) Keeping lighter upside down with the valve facing up, it is now time to re fill your lighter. Use a high quality ULTRA REFINED butane in your lighter. The lighters these days have a small passage way and filter system and anything under 4x refined or premium fluid can ruin the valve in your lighter. I recommend Ultra Refined fluid with at least 4x refined. My personal choices for butane fluid are Vector, Lucienne, Newport or Whip-It as they are clean with 0 Impurities and work the best.

Push the Butane bottle nozzle onto the fill valve and push down on the valve . Hold down steady for a few seconds then you can give a couple short bursts to make sure lighter is full.

Give the lighter time to reach ambient temperature (WARM UP THE BUTANE) before trying to light. If it does not light it may be because the fluid reservoir is not up to ambient or warm enough temperatures to light properly.

• Options
    Continued:

Quartz lighters not sparking: 

At times your quartz butane lighter may not spark and ignite the butane when you depress the ignition button. (You know the clicker) If you hear a click, then the quartz is working. If you do not hear a click or see a spark when you depress the ignition button you need to buy a new lighter or have it serviced / repaired.

Look and see if the lighter is sparking. Please be careful and keep the lighter away from your face when you try this. It may ignite and burn you. 

If the lighter is sparking, then check to see if it is sparking towards the burner area if it is a model of lighter with one or more burners (Jet Type) or towards the top of the butane release valve on a (soft flame style) lighter. If it is not sparking towards the burner area  (JET STYLE) or the top of the butane release valve(SOFT FLAME STYLE), this is why the lighter doesn't work. The spark is not igniting the butane. Again, using a small screwdriver re-adjust the electrode. (The electrode, as I call it, is the little wire where the spark comes out). Be careful and adjust the electrode wire towards the middle where the butane release valve is or towards the outer holes on a jet flame lighter .Most likely it will work more often if the electrode sparks towards the outer holes on a jet flame lighter . Just move the electrode a little and test for the best results. Little adjustments are all that is needed. After each adjustment, try lighting the lighter. If you break the electrode you will need to buy a new lighter or have it repaired.

Flint lighters not sparking: 

Always check to see if you have a flint in the lighter. If you don't, then put a new flint in and your lighter will probably work. If you do have a flint and your lighter is still not sparking, then try turning the flint around to the side that has not been used.  It may also have an old flint stuck in the flint pathway as this is a common problem with older style flint lighters that have been stored with the old flint installed.

Also, look at the flint wheel (this is the little steel wheel with tiny raised spots that rub against the flint to cause a spark). Is it "gummed" up? If so, take a brush, like a toothbrush (one that you won't use again of course) and brush the flint wheel to get all the flint residue cleaned off.  If you have access to a dremel tool you can use this with best results with a small brass wire brush.

Another possible reason for a flint lighter to stop working is that the flint may not be connecting with the flint wheel. If this is the case, simply take the flint out and stretch the flint spring a little bit. Caution: do not over stretch the spring. Another problem with flint lighters is that if the old flint is left in the lighter for a long time, the old flint can become fused in (turned to powder and become hard ) and the lighter cannot accept a new flint. A fused in flint however can be removed by taking the lighter a part or sometimes able to remove with a pick through the flint channel through the bottom of the lighter. This is mostly a common problem on Vintage Lighters stored with flints installed. Remove old flints when lighters are stored !!!! If you do have a fused in flint, i recommend to send in for repair to have it removed. Fused in flints can also damage and split a flint tube and it allows the flint tube to soak up lighter fluid and it will not light.

I do the repairs to remove fused in flints . Please feel free to contact me  (CLICK HERE) .

VINTAGE FLINT LIGHTER

The most common reason for a Vintage Flint lighter to not work is the old vintage flint gets fused into the flint tube. This can cause damage to the lighter and render it a NON working lighter if the flint tube gets split or damaged from the pressure of the expanding flint over time (worst case scenario). Most of the time 90% it has not done damage and can be readily removed if you know what you are doing. To remove the fused flint it takes knowledge of taking apart the lighter. Most lighters have a curved flint tube so removal of the fused flint will require to take the lighter apart. I always try to access the problem flint from the top of the lighter as that is where it gets fused in. You sometimes have to actually use a dremel and a tiny drill bit on the really bad ones. Most of the time you can just take a small long thin screwdriver or a rod (PAPER clip) that will fit and pick the old flint out (will turn to powder). Sometimes you have to push hard to get it to break up... I then use compressed canned air to blow out the flint tube to clear the remaining powder and flint. Make sure to Take the flint screw and spring and test that it goes all the way in from the bottom before you put the lighter back together . 

(FUEL TYPE FOR FLINT/FLUID LIGHTERS)

I  recommend using a good liquid lighter fluid that burns clean. I recommend and personally use Zippo or Ronsonol as they both work great. Do not use lamp oils, Gasoline, Alcohol or anything else except liquid lighter fluid as they can ruin your lighter and cause problems .

FLINTS

Always use a quality flint in your in your lighter. I prefer Ronson or Zippo Flints as they always work great in standard type lighters. Dupont, Dunhill and other high dollar lighters may require a different flint and by not using what is recommend can void the free repair warranty. Some St. Duponts, Dunhills use a wider than standard flint in their lighters. Some also use a longer than standard type flint.

Read your lighters manufacturers instructions for the proper flint to use.

If all else fails then hey, you can always buy a new lighter !!!!

Cleaning your lighter: 

From time to time your lighter needs to be cleaned. Take a cotton swab or a pipe cleaner and wipe it around the area where the flame comes out (burner area) . You can also use a little rubbing alcohol on the cotton swab but make sure it does not hurt the finish . Be very careful when cleaning around the spark area not to move or bump the electrode (wire that spark comes out) as if is not aligned properly , it can make the lighter not light . Be careful to do this when the lighter doesn't have a flame, after all, you could catch the cotton swab or pipe cleaner on fire.  I recommend to remove the butane or lighter fluid from lighter when cleaning .You can also use some Nevr-dull wadding polish to polish up the metal as it is non abrasive and will remove dirt and grime from the outside. I dont recommend cleaning the outside of most vintage lighters as it will remove the wonderful patina that has been created over time and collectors like the antique original look that it may have from being old.

SOME LIGHTERS HAVE A CATALYST COIL FILAMENT OVER THE BURNER AREA (GLOWS WHEN LIT) . Please be careful when cleaning your lighter. If your lighters does have a catalyst filament coil on it you can damage or break the filament when trying to clean as it is very sensitive and fragile . Just avoid the area and clean as best as possible.

After cleaning this area, gently blow out any dirt, dust, or tobacco particles .I use canned compressed air. Again, please be careful and don't do this when the lighter has a flame or do not blow the compressed air onto the sensitive catalyst coil if your lighter has one . 

Buying a new lighter: 

When you are shopping for a  cigarette lighter, I always suggest that you buy a flint type lighter because they tend to work more often than not and they simply last forever.  For Cigar Lighters I do recommend a double or triple flame jet flame type lighter. For Pipes they make special types of lighters that can direct the flame downwards into the pipe.

• Options
  • Options
    I actually used regular alcohol in my zippo once, it lasted for a week!!
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar  Very COOL,   though I'm gonna guess it's a cheap Chinese piece junk, no reflection on you brother. I hope it hols up.

I

• Options
    @mapletop
    Yep, cheap Chinese, we’ll see if it’s a P.O.S.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    @mapletop
    Were you the one that bought an “Honest” lighter awhile back?  If so, is it still going?  My just won’t light on it’s own.  The valve works fine, there is spark, but damned if it will light🙁
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited January 2023
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Love that lighter even though it Chinese.
    I hope it lasts longer than a week. I want one now you bastard. By the way, I did see these on chinazon for $14 but reviews were like 2-3 stars. 
  • Options
    It might end up being a “cabinet queen”?  Not the Lbgthxrtnipml one either….or whatever the extended string of “identifier letters” are currently?
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar Yes my honest is still working.
    If you still have a spark from the piezo electric module, try checking / cleaning the area around the gas nozzle.
    When carbon and soot get deposited over time, resistance builds and the spark will move to another location with less resistance, usually its not an optimal ignition point.
    It could also be that the insulated wire has drifted and needs to be adjusted.
    Of course at the price point the easiest fix it to order another one; I consider all my cheaper pipe lighters to be disposable but I do fix the ones I like and I save old ones for parts LOL. (cheap bastard)
  • Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited January 2023
    1916 Trench lighter. Nice craftsmanship. Poor design IMHO.

• Options
    Rarely, a lighter not lighting is caused by an overenthusiastic flame adjustment. If it's set too high, the force of the fuel coming out can actually be too great for the piezo to ignite it. Try turning it down.

BTW, two additional resources are:
    https://www.holts.com/clubhouse/cigar-101/butane-lighter-problems-how-fix-them
    https://www.neptunecigar.com/tips/lighter-troubleshooting
  • Options
    @mapletop
    I did move the nozzle around a bit, it was kinda off-center.  It is lighting occasionally, but I guess I need to clean/tweak it more.
  • Options
    Zippos being retired
    These items will be heading to the Zippo Vault - get them before they are gone!
  • Options
    https://ljperetti.com/product-category/accessories-cat/st-dupont

Hello,
    We are delighted to share additional items from a collection of rare, limited edition and numbered lighters from ST Dupont. Lightly used and well loved, these are available in both table and pocket lighter format.

Whether you're a James Bond fan or prefer a classic maduro finish this collection offers something for everyone.

Crafted of the finest, most durable materials with Dupont’s world-class attention to detail, these highly collectible & competitively priced pieces are guaranteed to last a lifetime. 

Available online or call 617 482 0218 or email peretti@ljperetti.com or stop by to see for yourself.

Enjoy!

• Options
    I like lighters, but I’d rather buy a firearm or ammo for that amount of cashola.
  • Options
    @Montecristo
    The figure on the cover... 😬
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

I presume it’s Cthulhu, a Lovecraftian mainstay.
  • Options
    “Quik Wikk Mini is 4 feet of 100% organic hemp wick coated in 100% organic beeswax and neatly wrapped around a patent protected spool in fun colors.”

• Options
    @Montecristo
    And the advantages of this kind o wick?
  • Options
    @Londy3

There are many benefits to using hemp wicking to light a tobacco pipe. Here are some of the most notable:

• Cleaner taste: Hemp wick burns at a lower temperature than lighters, which means that the smoke you inhale is less harsh and has a cleaner taste. This is because the higher temperatures of lighters can burn off some of the essential oils in the tobacco, which gives it its flavor.
    • Healthier: Hemp wick is a natural product, so it doesn't release any harmful chemicals into the smoke. This is in contrast to lighters, which often contain butane, a hydrocarbon that can be harmful to your health.
    • More control: Hemp wick is easier to control than a lighter, so you're less likely to burn your fingers or the tobacco. This is because the flame is smaller and more manageable.
    • Lasts longer: Hemp wick burns for a longer period of time than a lighter, so you don't have to keep relighting it. This can save you money in the long run.
    • Eco-friendly: Hemp wick is a sustainable product, so it's better for the environment than lighters.

Overall, there are many reasons why you might want to consider using hemp wicking to light your tobacco pipe. It's a cleaner, healthier, and more sustainable option than lighters.

• Options
    @Montecristo;
    What do you light the wick with?
  • Options
    @opipeman

Depends. Sometimes, a nearby candle; other times, a BIC.

I can.see where this is going.
  • Options
    I endorsed hemp wicking several years back. Here's the prime source:

https://twistedbee.com/blogs/news/hemp-wick-101

<<By now, you’ve probably heard your friends or budtenders talking about using hemp wick instead of traditional lighters to ignite your flower, but you may not fully understand what hemp wick is or why/how it is being used. Fortunately for you, we’re hemp wick experts here at Twisted Bee! That’s why we’ve decided to spend some time giving you a crash course and answering your most frequently asked questions on the subject with our hemp wick 101 article. 

Is Hemp Wick Actually Better?

Hemp wick is better in a lot of senses. First and foremost, using hemp wick to light your bud helps preserve much of the flavor and experience of your flower. This is because hemp wick burns at a much lower temperature than traditional lighter sources. Terpenes and flavonoids are the naturally occurring compounds responsible for your flower’s taste, scent, and even some effects. The problem with traditional lighters is that their flames burn at insanely high temperatures. Terps and flavs are incredibly sensitive to temperature with some that begin evaporating at temperatures below 200 degrees Fahrenheit. So, when you hit that bowl of flower with a flame burning at 1000 degrees, it is easy to see how a lot of your bud’s flavor will evaporate instantaneously, leaving you with a burnt, charcoal taste in your mouth. On the other hand, hemp wick’s much lower burn temperature will provide you with an experience that you will find much “truer” to the flower’s taste profile. 

How is Hemp Wick Made?

While we can’t speak to everyone’s hemp wick, we can certainly describe the process that goes into ours. When we originally decided to provide a hemp wick product to consumers, our goal was to source the purest hemp fibers available. That’s why we only utilize certified organic hemp fibers that are grown in Europe. We chose our hemp wick based on consistency and quality of its burn, the fact that it is free of chemicals, and lastly because its production maintains a sustainable and organic presence in the marketplace. Typically, hemp wick is made by twisting together hemp fiber extract into a twine form factor. A final step involves coating the hemp wick with a thin layer of organic bee’s wax which not only slows the burn rate to a controllable level, but also provides waterproofing. 

How Long Does Hemp Wick Last?

Depends on how often you smoke! In all seriousness though, a spool of hemp wick will probably last a while. Hemp wick burns really slowly, usually at a rate of around three inches per minute. To put that into perspective, our spools contain 200 feet of hemp wick. At a burn rate of three inches per minute, this would give you over 13 hours of burn time from a single spool!

Is Hemp Wick Legal?

Of course, this shouldn’t be construed as legal advice, but hemp wick is completely legal in most jurisdictions, including all US states. Even though hemp wick comes from hemp plants (which is ultimately just a categorization given to the cannabis plant), any miniscule amounts of cannabinoids that may have been present in the original hemp fiber will be destroyed during processing. 

Is Hemp Wick Healthier Than a Lighter?

It would be disingenuous for us to sit here and try to build a case that smoking anything is “healthy”. That being said, we do feel that there are some potential advantages to lighting your bud with hemp wick over traditional lighters. Like many other aspects of the cannabis world, the failed “war on drugs” has created enormous roadblocks preventing clinically controlled research from being conducted. With more states getting on-board with cannabis legalization programs though, cannabis and cannabis-related research is being conducted at a faster pace now than ever before. We’re hopeful that we will have definitive guidance and data sooner than later around hemp wick serving as a better alternative to lighters. 

Until that day comes though, we’re forced to build our own opinions based on anecdotal reports and what data we actually do have available. The general hypothesis is that hemp wick is a naturally burning flame, in other words, it relies on the organic, natural fibers of the hemp as the fuel needed to feed the fire. On the other hand, traditional lighters utilize chemicals as a way to feed the flame. 

With that being said, consider the steps taken when lighting a bowl of flower. You bring the bowl to your mouth and begin inhaling right before you bring the flame to the flower. In the case of traditional lighters and matches, the chemical byproduct of the compounds used in the lighter (think butane and other accelerants) are likely pulled into the bowl and subsequently your lungs through the process of inhaling to get the bowl going. Some users even report tasting a chemical-esque flavor if their lighter stays on the flower too long or they inhale too intensely. 

If we look now at hemp wick, sure, you’re still combusting (natural) plant matter, but without the use of chemicals to create a flame. Most users report a cleanermore flavorful taste when making the switch from lighters to hemp wick. It is suspected that this is partly due to the lower burning temperatures preserving those tasty terpenes and flavonoids, but also due to the lack of potentially bitter chemical byproducts mixing in with your smoke. 

Is Hemp Wick Right for me?

Naturally, we think that anyone who combusts their bud should have already made the switch to hemp wick, but we also understand that people can be skeptical of making changes in their routines. We’re so confident that you’ll give up ever touching your weed with a traditional lighter after trying hemp wick that we are willing to provide a free hemp wick sample to anyone interested. Our sample packs include six inches of our standard hemp wick and six inches of our thick hemp wick. Most people who request our hemp wick sample are converted before they even finish the sample packs! 

We want to hear from you too! How have your experiences been with hemp wick? Any tips or tricks that you’ve discovered? Drop us a line and let us know!>>

• Options
    So can get thes wicks for my zippo?
  • Options
    Hmmmmm. Never thouught of trying that. There’s a heavier/thicker version available in some sites that might be worth a try. But OTOH,you’d still be burning petroleum, which misses the point.
  • Options
    @Londy3
    The wicks are soaked in beeswax and are meant to burn.  The Zippo fluid might dissolve the beeswax so that the wick….wicks, otherwise it would just burn down into the lighter?  You probably already knew that though and are just yanking our chain.