Pipe refinishing

1747576777880»

Comments

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Received this in the mail yesterday:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    I wanted a pipe from Hungary. Spent 2 1/2 days in Budapest last year but never had the chance to go to a pipe shop.
    I found this one on ebay:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    It's a KOROS. If I'm not mistaken, that is a low grade Szabo pipe. There were plenty of pit fills and charring on the rim. Also some chatter on the stem. But for $2.99 I couldn't pass it up:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Reaming and internal and external cleaning plus preliminary sanding of the stem:

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited May 9
    Finished stem, stained, waxed and buffed stummel.
    Here's the final:
    Note - I'm still looking for a nice Szabo pipe...

• Options
    Zouave1864Zouave1864 Master
    @KA9FFJ what stain is that? Great color on the bowl. Well done!
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @Zouave1864
    Stain = 50 drops tan, 2 drops oxblood ( Fiebing's of course)
  • Options
    opipemanopipeman Master
    @KA9FFJ;
    She traveled a long way for a great makeover. Nice work.
  • Options
    WhoispraWhoispra Master
    This is the result of the dr. Grabow silver duke I’ve reworked. Again can’t get the stem any better but I really didn’t like the black stain I had applied after removed the original so I removed it again which left all these little saw marks and accents if you will. I ordered a set of polishing compounds and some buffing wheels for the dremel have. I realize it isn’t an ideal machine but it allowed me to put some sheen on the pipe with brown Tripoli and super fine blue compound. I already had a food grade block of carnuba so I used it as well. Not a mirror finish but it’s actually quite nice finished out this way I think. I also polished the other grabow and Weber that I had acquired for fixing up. They both look better as well but are essentially original as I posted before. 
  • Options
    edited May 11
    I won an EBay auction a few days ago, and I received the package today.  I mainly wanted the “home” pipe rest, but the “old skool” metal, magnetic “automobile” rest was cool too.  The Kaywoodie Meerschaum lined 50B straight Rhodesian was a bonus.  It’s well smoked, and has a big gouge on the right side, but it should clean up nicely.  I bought a Kaywoodie Flamegrain Meerschaum lined Bulldog 12B years ago, when I first started this pipe journey,  it had a chewed off stem and a heavy cake.  I proceeded to remove the cake with a reamer and cracked out the liner…or maybe is was only being held together by cake?  Anyway, I shortened the stem, filed in a new bit, and hand made a replacement stem logo clover.  I found a meerschaum liner blank at Vermont Freehand.  I turned the liner down with my lathe to fit like a calabash bowl and added a cork gasket to the pipe.  I made a mini meerschaum calabash nosewarmer out of it.  It works fine👍🏻.  I was thinking about getting another meerschaum liner and making a regular meer lined pipe out of it again, the original bowl was small, but my calabash bowl is even smaller.
    These pipes must smoke pretty great, they were both well…I said well, used🙂…..And, they both have their “stingers” intact.

I will post some “after” pictures when I get around to cleaning and spiffing up the 50B. 

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Put that diamond shank on my list...
  • Options
    edited May 12
    Welp….when I went to clean the 50B Kaywoodie Rhodesian there was some loose, partially burned, dried dottle in the bottom of the pipe.  I loosened it with a pipe pick and dumped it out.  The bottom of the meerschaum lining from about halfway down to the heel was gone.  Oh well, I guess I need to buy a couple more meerschaum liners from Vermont Freehand.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master