Home Pipes & Tools

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• I leather dyed a cob. It worked out swell.
  • I modified a speed bit to use to chamfer the bowl tops on pipes.  The first to receive the bowl chamfers with this bit are the Comoy’s #311 and #250B.
  • I just finished modifying a bone screw tenon into a push tenon for this little Peterson Patent 4 Amber NAP stem billiard.  When I received it, there was a layer of transparent tape between the stem and shank to keep the stem from over-clocking.  I did not like that.  Also, the threads were just barely catching in the stem, I did not like that either.  I think the threaded bone tenon was an attempt at a repair in the past and not factory.  There was “Superglue” holding it in the shank👎🏻   I don’t believe they had “Superglue” when this Pipe was made🤔, which I am told is between 1905 and 1915.  It just did not seem right....so I drilled out the old bone tenon and made the replacement.  The replacement I made works like a “normal” tenon with a friction fit in the shank and threads into the amber stem.  This bone screw tenon has the correct diameter and threads per inch, so it fits nice and snug in the amber, and now nice and snug in the shank, and centered as well.
         I had an old wood and leather pipe case that I bought with a lot of other pipe stuff that was nearly the correct size for this pipe.  I had to carefully peel back the leather cover on one edge top and bottom, and also the lining fabric on each edge top and bottom to remove some of the wood.  I needed to give the amber stem some room so I could close the case without putting pressure on the amber.  I reassembled the case and the pipe fits fairly well.  It is a bit too long, and the case was made for an apple shape that was a smidge taller, but it will work to protect this 100+ year old pipe.
  • Beautiful work @RockyMountainBriar They are some classic looking pipes. Well done! 👍
  • edited January 2020
    @KA9FFJ
    Thank you sir.
    I am debating on wether or not to buff and wax, or just wax the little Pete or keep the patina🤔
  • @RockyMountainBriar that is a classy looking pipe. Nice work!
  • I have to say @RockyMountainBriar that is a strange looking button on that stem. Tell me more about it...
  • edited January 2020
    @KA9FFJ
    That is a Peterson Patent NAP stem.  You can read about it on Mark Irwin's Pete Blog petersonpipenotes.org, one of the authors of the book "Peterson Pipe: The Story of Kapp and Peterson".  They recently commissioned pipe maker Silver Gray with help from Brad Pohlmann to recreate a few for a test group.  I was invited to be a tester, but I did not have the funds for the new pipe and stem at the time :(  Silver will still make a NAP stem for Peterson System Pipes for anyone that wants one as a personal commission, kinda pricey though..$250 each I think, unless you can go in with at least three others, then they are $225?  There is a lot of work and skill to making one.  I am excited to smoke this one though, as it is said to be quite a different (in a good way) experience.  A very interesting piece of tobaccianna.  The little billiard I just got may even have had the NAP amber stem cut by Charles Peterson himself or at the very least his first apprentice? Jimmy Malone!  What a piece of pipe history.
  • Tnx @RockyMountainBriar I must admit, I don't ever remember seeing one. And as unique as that stem is,  I know I would have remembered...
    Very interesting...
  • Bad news...after staying in one piece for 100+ years, that amber stem is now broken :(
    I fired it up with some Five Brothers last night and after the charring light and about five draws, a bit of the smoke wafted out of the bowl of that little 4" nose-warmer.....I did not have a hand on the pipe at the time.  Well, that little waft of smoke hit the back of my throat.... I coughed and blew glowing hot ashes all over, I did not drop it....apparently when my jaw snapped closed during the cough it was a bit too much and the top half of that amber NAP bit snapped off :(
    Some conservator of history I am..it took someone 100+ years to crack that rare NAP amber stem...and it had to be me......I should be flogged...
  • Oh, by the way, it was a very unique dissipation of smoke from that NAP bit....while it lasted....pretty smooth dissipation without hot spots....dang....I liked it while it lasted.  I guess I need another NAP to try out.....not amber though.
  • @RockyMountainBriar don't be too hard on yourself, a few years back someone stoped by work to sell a 1920s gold and ebony cigarette holder. Those long ones that I picture FDR using. I told him I would love to but it for the cost of the gold and while I was looking it over I snapped the ebony mouth piece right off the harder gold end. 😞 Not one of my prouder moments. Another piece of tobacco history that lasted a good 70-80 years before my clumsy hands got ahold of it.
  • Bad luck @RockyMountainBriar I really liked the uniqueness of that stem.  I feel bad for you...😥
  • Well here's a Kaywoodie Flame Grain Meerschaum I started. The stem was actually UNDERclocked. I fixed it. It's just that, in my experience,  they're usually Overclocked. Anyway,  here's the before shots...
  • KA9FFJ  OH I got to look at this one up close at the show, I think it might have a new daddy.

• Tnx @RandyB1966 I look forward to seeing you. Let's not forget to hit Leonard up for more TPL pins. 😊
  • Here's  a pipe I think most people would have passed on. Even I was relunctant to tackle this one...
  • After a thorough cleaning and a 24 hr alcohol bath, this is what I was left with...

• After stripping, I was able to detect some "decent" grain, so I decided to 2-tone stain it. The stem wasn't too bad. Anyway, here's the final... another one for the show...
  • @KA9FFJ ~ Not surprisingly, another fantastic job! That pipe turned out beautiful! 
  • Tnx  @motie2 @Kmhartle I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome of this pipe, given its initial appearance. "Silk purse - Sow's ear" comes to mind...
  • KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 2020
    This pipe was part of a lot that I found on Ebay really cheap. Anyway, it had the top 1/3 of the bowl hacked and wacked on, until the guy finally figured out he didn't know what he was doing.  Instead of throwing it away, he threw it in the box with the rest of the pipes.
    I was going to throw it away, but decided to use it to practice on and glean briar dust when needed for fills.
    After almost a year, I started thinking of something I might be able to salvage.  Unfortunately I didn't think to take a before pic or you would have laughed at me for even giving it a thought. 
    So I figured, hey,some people are ok with unique and UGLY, so here it is for your viewing pleasure...😏
    FYI - I went with that "wave" pattern because  it hid most of his hacking. That finish on the bottom was me practicing a "wood-worm" pattern. The original pipe finish was smooth, but no patterned grain to speak of...

• KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 2020
    @RockyMountainBriar Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! BIG change for the MUCH better...