Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe refinishing

Comments

• Options
    Tnx @Zouave I usually only rusticate when my choices are limited...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ do you use a ball Burr for the process? Or something else? It looks very good.
  • Options
    @Zouave Yes, I have 3 different sizes. Usually use the largest or next to it. 
    As you know, the final is a result of pattern (or lack thereof), and depth. 
    The last one posted was a shallow depth. Still not happy with the color... may wind up restaining...
  • Options
    Picked up a Wellington system pipe (along with others) at an estate sale a couple of days ago.  Here's a pic of it on the left...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I was just about to comment on the pre refinished picture, on how I liked the shape of pipe #1...then I scrolled down and saw the finished product. Amazing job! I love the work you did!!!! Great pipe, great job!
  • Options
    Tnx @Zouave you're comments are greatly appreciated...
  • Options
    Well here's a pipe from an estate sale.  It's a Frank Medico. Bad shape... really bad shape.
    Dropped the stem in an Oxiclean bath for a day. 
    Next is the stummel...
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited November 2019
    Almost forgot, for no apparent reason, a small hole was drilled in the rim about a 1/16 of an inch deep.?.?.?.
  • Options
    I filled the hole with epoxy and let it cure for 24 hours.
    The front of the bowl, that is to say the bowl side farthest away from the smoker, was TOTALLY void of grain and featureless. I designed a pattern with that and other factors in mind.
    Here's the result...

• Options
    Now for staining, etc...

• Options
    Here's the final for the stummel after light sanding and buffing. The stem still needs work, but it should come out fine...p
  • Options
    Another amazing transformation, @KA9FFJ
  • Options
    @Kmhartle Thank you... Just a other example of a "throw-away" pipe saved to serve again...
  • Options
    This is so cool. I really would love to get into pipe restoration. Seems like such a satisfying and potentially profitable hobby. 

• Options
    @ChaplainCorey
         It is satisfying.  Profitable...for me....not so much.  I have refurbished pipes and sold them for more than I had into them, but I doubt I am ahead.  Since it takes me several hours to clean a used pipe to my standards I might make a $1 an hour if I am lucky.  I admit, I get them clean.  When I am done, pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear come out nearly white through all parts of the shank, and white when passed through the stem (You must be careful with high proof alcohol on acrylic and bake light stems, they will haze and/or melt.  I use detergents or lower proof 40% bourbon).  
         I have bought “cleaned and sanitized” pipes (some from well known EBay sellers) that were nasty as hell.  I would not want my worst enemy to smoke them as is.  Ya, they look nice and shiny from the outside, but the internals were just friggin gross.  The internals are what take time and resources.  I would be embarrassed to sell one of these so called “cleaned and sanitized” germ ridden p.o.s. if they are described as “cleaned and sanitized”.  If they are sold as-is, that’s different...you know it is a crap shoot then and most likely only the outside has been cleaned.
        Personally, I think I have actually given more pipes away to people than I have sold, or made good deals (on more expensive pipes) for people.  This makes me happier anyway.
  • Options
    @ChaplainCorey I have to agree with @RockyMountainBriar.
    It's really more of a hobby than profit. What little I do get, for the most part, goes right back into the hobby.  I sometimes, after a pipe show involving a lot of pipes sold, accrue enough to restock my refurbishing supplies AND pay for a new pipe I have been eyeballing. 
    But for the most part, it's the satisfaction in knowing I have put a pipe destined for the trash pile back into circulation 
    As I've said before, a labor of love...
  • Options
    @ChaplainCorey There is another perk I failed to mention. Once you become somewhat proficient, you'll be able to acquire very good pipes for a fraction of their original cost, refurb them, and wind up adding very nice pipes to your collection without breaking the bank...
    I guess you might say that makes it somewhat profitable...🤔
  • Options
    @ChaplainCorey what started out as a way to remember my grandfather, by restoring his pipes has led to a pipe restoring addiction for me. I still have alot to learn but the guys here do amazing work and share great info. So far instead of selling or unloading any refurbished pipes, I seem to be collecting more pipes than any one smoker should own. 😁 It is a fun and challenging hobby though. Don't be afraid to jump in.
  • Options
    @Zouave
    Strange, I have the same “accumulation” problem.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar ha! It's a terrible affliction to have. I'm not sure there is a cure. 😄
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited December 2019
    @Zouave @RockyMountainBriar You guys are correct. I'm 71 and after YEARS of looking for a cure, I have finally given in to the "disease". 😁

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited December 2019
    Been busier than I've been showing here at TPL. Pictured is approximately 6 weeks, more or less, of work getting ready for the St. Louis pipe show. 
    Have another 25 or more pipes to work on before my goal will be reached for the show... 
    By the way, pipes 2, 3 and 4 on the top tier are Jarl pipes. It was a nice find...
  • Options
    Starting a little Kaywoodie Standard apple. I changed the stem from brown back to black, and have worked up to 1000 grit. Still a ways to go, but on the home stretch. 
    As far as the stummel, I've reamed the bowl and getting ready to clean the outside. Based on those results, I'll see where that leads...
  • Options
    Here's the stummel after cleaning. Decent grain showing so I'll try to restain... I'll have to address the rim charring so we'll see how that turns out...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ man you do nice work. The grain on that is beautiful
  • Options
    Tnx @Zouave The only disappointment was that the stamping is very light. Not from me, it just came out of the factory that way...
    Beautiful little pipe though, and you can't beat the classic apple shape... Hopefully it will find a good home at the pipe show in Feb...
  • Options
    picked up these two pipes to refinish. The top one looks like a no name bulldog with a stem replacement, the other is what I think is a pre 1950s smokemaster? I read on pipepedia that smokemasters had a special dril hole in the stem but I'm still not sure how it was used? Does it just hold a regular pipe cleaner folded I to the two holes and smoke travels through the third?
  • Options
    @Zouave Nice find.  They look as if they will clean up well. 
    Concerning your Smokemaster stem, I have never encountered that drilling before. I'm sure others here at TPL have, and will be able to help you out
    Curiosity does prompt me to do some research. If I find anything relevant, I'll let you know...🤔