Home Tobacco Talk
Options

What are you guys smoking right Now?

Comments

• Options
    Starting the day a little late with GH Balkan Mixture in an MM Boone and a cup of coffee.

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 2
    Just finished 18 (yes, with cart covers and heaters, we play winter golf when starting temp is above 40°) and now doing some RLP-6 in a Frankenpipe...

• Options
    edited February 10
    I pulled another random pipe out of my cabinet of refurbs.  I refurbished it several years ago, this is the “test drive”.  It is a Gefapip Signature 107 loaded with some C&D “Espresso”.  I have a couple fingers of the Lazy K Bar bourbon loaded in a rocks glass….who needs rocks🙂.  I think I may straighten the stem bend some on this pipe🤔.  It’s a sharp bend that causes the back edge of the rim to char…I don’t like that👎🏻, and I can do something about it🙂.  I almost forgot some exciting news…..I saw another pipe aficionado in the “wild” today.  The “wild” being the next car over at a traffic signal🙂. They do exist.
  • Options
    Everyone is in bed, going to take the dogs out one last time with the Amphora and some Davidoff Danish 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    I played in a tournament on a frozen lake once years ago. If you really get into a drive, it's gone. I mean across the lake. Not the dumbest thing I ever did, but in the top ten. I wish I could still play, but I would prefer temps at least in the 60's.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar;
    In the wild? .....Actually in the wild? I'd have a better chance of seeing Bigfoot in the area I live in.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    @opipeman

Lived here in Northern NJ since the mid-eighties and I’ve never seen anyone lunting. I have not seen a pipe smoker in the wild in decades; not since leaving seminary in 1973.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    I just had an epiphany, the “Kelly’s Coin” tastes very much like my homegrown tobacco….or I guess, my tobacco tastes very much like “Kelly’s Coin”😉.  It’s a burley, straight Burley.  A few minutes in and it’s showing its teeth, I might have chose too large of a pipe.  I am remembering the strength of “Kelly’s Coin”now, no wonder I visit it rarely.  I’m glad it’s an after dinner smoke.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    I gave you an Awesome on your last post. Not for the Tobac, not for the restemmed Calabrest, but for helping your wife with housework. You sir, are a good man, IMHO.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 4
    Tnx @opipeman
    Let's  just keep that housework thing between us guys here at TPL.
    Unless you guys are nuts enough to share that with your wives, I think I'm safe...
    🙂
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 4
    Doing some John Dengler Tobacconist Pirate's Chest in my Comoy "The French Pipe" I acquired while in Marseille.
    Sidenote:
    John Dengler Tobacconist B&M shop in Historic Old St. Charles was established in 1917! It's a treat every time I frequent the place...

• Options
    @KA9FFJ

John Dengler, Tobacconist in St. Charles, Missouri has closed its doors for good after 106 years.
  • Options
    @motie2
    I was just there Christmas. I know it was changing hands, but no one there mentioned anything about a CLOSING. I'll give them a call and see what's happening/happened.
    Tnx brother...

• Options
    @KA9FFJ

I am now informed that new management took over July 1st, 2023, so my previous post is no longer operative. My source was Pipes Magazine.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    I don't want to lose my Man Card, so mum is the word. 
  • Options
    Doing some Lane LL-7 in a @Corey562 artisan pipe...

• Options
    edited February 7
    I wanted to give my Pete 307 a run this evening.  I have it loaded with some C&D “The Beast” from 2023.  This blend has a real funky Perique in it….mmmmm.  It’s got some spicy kick too, nope, I don’t need to retrohale to find it out either🙂.  I have a wee dram of Lazy K Bar bourbon, neat, to pair.  Maybe it should have been Scotch…but I am not a fan.  Actually, the Chinese Snake Wine/Whisky I have had would have probably paired well?  It was kinda funky like old gym socks too😬. No, I did not know it was real Snake Wine/Whisky until months later….I thought the boss was pulling my leg.  The bottle was not clear, and it was dark…..I didn’t see no snake.  I’m surprised I’m still alive😳. True Story.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited February 8
    Finished 18, now enjoying some McCranie's Plymouth in a Charlestowne MM cob.
    A very pleasant blend of red Virginias with a touch of Maple Cavendish... very tasty...

• Options
    edited February 8
    Smoking some Lane Limited “LL-7” in a Rattray’s Distillery 106.  I have a nice cup of hot Lipton Black Tea to pair….it’s working👍🏻.  I’m smoking the pipe without a 9mm filter or adapter.  It should work as a reverse calabash.  The pipe does not have a traditional “well”, but the oversize drilling in the mortise for a filter leaves a little area available to collect small amounts of moisture without it draining into the bowl or coming up the stem.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    Noticed the cup warming plate. The wife has one she used for her teas while reading her books. 
    Made the mistake of moving it after she picked her cup up. I won't do that again!...
    Oh, by the way, great looking pipe...
  • Options
    Finally getting around to my Secret Santa’s tinof Private Stock Great Outdoors, an impression of the old Field and Stream (burley, cavendish, and a light vanilla topping). Smokes dry and tasty. No nic hit.

Thanks, Santa! Never would have tried it, myself.
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited February 8
    We did two more Mardi Gras parades this weekend. On Friday night it was the Mona Lisa Moon Pie parade. It's a very family oriented parade group that sort of spoofs traditional Mardi Gras parades. All the "floats" have to be built on shopping buggies. I enjoyed a bowl of Tower Bridge while waiting and a couple of people commented on how it smelled like fresh Cotton Candy to them. 
  • Options
    I've been rotating Pease blends in MM cobs. Abingdon in Legend and Washington Rob Roys, Kensington in Prides and Westminster in Apple Diplomats. This mornings Westminster in paired with a moka pot of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee. 
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    Although I have a few of the mug heating plates around.
    That particular “warming plate” is actually not a warming plate.  It is the charging base for my Ember mug.  The mug itself has a battery and heating coil mounted in it.  The mug also has sensors that regulate the temperature (set to your preferred temp), and also detect an empty mug or mug movement.  The LED on the mug can be set to your favorite RGB color (also to differentiate between two mugs of the same color, say, if your wife has one also🙂).  The battery on mine will last for about an hour and a half (without being on the charging plate) at 133F (my preferred temp🙂).  If it is on the charging plate, then it will keep temp as long as you have AC power🙂.  They are expensive as hell, but worth every penny to me.  I think they jacked the price up by 1/3 recently, so they are even more expensive now😳.

I got lucky a few months after I bought my first gray (work mug) around Christmas a couple of years ago and found the white one (home mug) in a pawnshop (unopened box).  They took my offer of $50👍🏻 Score!  I think someone must have received it as a Christmas gift and made a big mistake in pawning it off……or maybe they stole it?

P.S.  I have had to replace the “pogo” contact pins in both of my charging bases.  I spilled or had drips of beverages in the base, it stuck the pins down fatiguing the springs in them.  Replacement charging bases are available from Ember, but they want a pretty penny for it.  Luckily, I have mad electronics repair skills😉.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    I forgot to mention.  I have a “Salton” coffee mug hot plate that kept my coffee steaming hot.  I have not used it for many years.  I use to leave it plugged in, setting on the corner of my computer desk, switched off.  One evening, I heard my cat, Scrat, knock something over in my computer room while I was watching TV….🤔oh well, it’s what cats do, nothing I can do about it now.  Awhile later, Scrat was pacing at the door of the computer room meowing a little (which he never did).  Still, I don’t have that solid of a grasp on cat language to understand what he was telling me at the time (This is a 100% true story).  I sauntered off to bed…zzzzz.  I got up for work at about 6:30AM and walked to the bathroom, I caught a very slight wiff of burning wood, back, forward, back, forward….hmm right at the open door to the computer room, which happens to be right across from my furnace…somewhat confusing and disturbing😳.  I looked in the computer room, and that heat plate was on the wood floor upside-down….and ON.  The weak ass Chinese slide switch had activated when Scrat must have jumped down from the window and knocked the plate to the floor.  The floor was charcoal and smoldering in a 3”-4” circle, and gaps had widened between the tight 50’s wood floor….holy crap it was close to going up in flames😳. I poured about a quart or more of water on the floor then I took a heavy bath towel and soaked it dripping wet and left it over the spot.  I needed to go to work, and I really didn’t want to inspect under the floor in my tight crawl space.  Well, the house didn’t burn down👍🏻
    AND-listen to your cat (if you have one)!