Home General
Options

Pipe Smoking and Beard Correlation

I have to ask this.  Has anyone else noticed the high degree of male beards that seem to accompany pipe smokers?  Looking at the pictures on this site, I'd say it's 75% (excluding females).
Is this a cultural phenomena?  Maybe I could get a grant to study this (?!). ;-)

Comments

• Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Most beards I've ever seen have been male beards :)
    Though unfortunately I have seen a couple female "beards" :(
    LOL!
    Good observation though. There is a current beard fad, but beards, like pipe smoking, pocket knives, hunting, fishing, etc. is very masculine. And this being a pipe smokers site, naturally a higher ratio of beards and mustaches are going to be present.
    As an aside: IMHO, a beard or mustache is an advantage to the pipe smoker. Obviously ascetically, but also practically. The wonderful aromas linger on ones facial hair just below the nose, allowing the piping pogonotropher to extend his palatal enjoyment long after the bowl is done.
  • Options
    Not going to lie, my wife loves when I have a beard and I smoke my pipe. Just saying.   She loves the smell until I smoke some Mac Burley! Muahahahaha!!!! I smoke that when we don't get along.
  • Options
    Can't beat a bearded pipe smoker!
  • Options
    good aromatic pipe tobacco is a good cologne for bearded smokers. At least that's what I've been told by women in my life.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Age is probably a factor here also. Although we do have some young lads on this site, most of us have either arrived at or are rapidly approaching geezerhood. Beards have long been the province of us older gentlemen.

I used to shave once in a while because my wife and children said that the beard made me look older. That observation is no longer relevant, as I now generally look old whether I have a beard or not.
  • Options
    PappyJoe, I agree wholeheartedly.  My wife likes it even though she hated it when I smoked cigars...
  • Options

Nice observation. I noticed that as well when watching several YouTube Pipe Presenters. And as you can see from the pictures of the responders we're all on board as bearded pipe smokers. 

• Options
    From the Federal Government waste I've seen over the years then yes you should be able to get a grant for this; but next we know beards will be as close to outlawed as pipe smoking is, good luck. I for one am both bearded & a pipester.
  • Options
    Bphasty, I was just kidding. But yes, the government would probably sponsor such a study, to my chagrin.
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the government regulation banning beards because some snowflake's feelings of self-worth is damaged because he can't grow a full beard and he is stressed whenever he sees one.
  • Options
    I've had a beard for most of my adult life, ages 21 to present (I'm 70). I don't particularly like my beard but I positively hate shaving, blade or electric. As far as pipe smoking, I smoked pipes for 22 years, starting at 18, and then quit until 2016, when I took it up again. (I've never smoked a cigarette in my life.) Aromatics (Maple Street and Molto Dolce) scent the beard (and everything else I'm wearing) OK, I reckon, but Eau de Latakia is not that appealing.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Latakia, fortunately for me, and unfortunately for the family, is the aroma I love best lingering in my beard. Had Ten Russians the other night, and I was still enjoying it long into the next day. It was great (for me).
    Speaking of a possible Government Beard Band, when was the last time we had a president with a beard? Or any politician?
    A bearded president would command some respect.
  • Options
    I have a Van Dyke. Does that count?
  • Options
    @xDutchx that's more than enough facial hair.  Some men can't even grow hair on their face.
  • Options
    Benjamin Harrison was the last President to have a full beard.
    Before him and in order of their presidency:
    Abraham Lincoln
    Ulysses S. Grant
    Rutheford B Hayes
    James Garvield

Mustache wearers:
    Chester A Arthur
    Grover Cleveland
    Theodore Roosevelt
    William Howard Taft.

Politically speaking, most of the Presidents with facial hair were Republicans.
  • Options
    Tin note, Room note, Beard note, aaahhh!
  • Options

Van Dykes count xDutchx, If I shaved mine off I wouldn't know myself

• Options
    We just had a change at work for having to keep your beard under 2 inches..... needless to say I've gotten in trouble a little more frequently than normal.
  • Options
    My problem isn't growing a beard, I've had once the majority of my adult life. My problem is whether letting it go naturally gray or hitting the 'Just For Mean Beard Dye' before the transition is complete. On the occasion when I let it go completely white (can't even call it gray) during the summer months I resemble the Gordon's Fisherman on the frozen fish sticks box. And that's not too bad - I can live with that. But then once winter sets in the tan is faded and I look washed-out and sickly, reverting back to my natural pasty-face corpselike appearance. It's then that a slightly darkened beard gives my face just enough contrast so I no longer look like I'm on life support. Vanity ... or ... Reality - I just can't decide. 
  • Options
    As you can see by my photo, I've pretty well made up my mind.
  • Options
    @ghostofpompeii - I decided years ago to just let it go white. From January through August I keep it trimmed like in my avatar. Then I start just letting it grow and don't trim it again until New Year's Eve. I call it my Santa beard and do it for the fun of shopping during the holiday season. I wear a lot of red during December.
    You should try it. 

10394826_1015990481749769_7271091620636234212_n
  • Options
    I've recently had to become comfortable with responding to the name "Gandalf".
  • Options
    I'm gonna have to second some of the other gentlemen in this thread. The post smoke beard note just extends the experience, at least until you're forced to take a shower.
  • Options
    @topaz75 - Funny story I posted on a different forum:
    I was sitting on the tailgate of my truck, smoking my pipe back in November while the wife was inside a store shopping. A millenial hipster (Man-bun, scraggly, wannabe beard, flannel shirt, dress slacks and.... flip flops) and a female walked by. He see me and asks "How's it going Gandalf?"

I reply, "Not too bad Smeagol."
  • Options
    I've had facial hair since it started coming in when I was about ready to go to college. I think it suites me, and my wife won't let me shave it off. She says I look funny without a beard. It took her some convincing when I changed it to mutton chops in 2014, but she's used to it now.

Though I'm still in my 30's, my hair is rapidly turning grey. I've just accepted it and I'm letting it come in naturally without dyeing my hair or beard. I like it, and think it fits well with my pipe. My hair became significantly greyer since smoking a pipe, but I'm pretty sure that's not a side effect. If it is, though, well, I don't mind it.
  • Options
    Yeah, there may be a connection.  I've had a goatee since my running days in the 90's.  I started smoking a pipe 6  months ago and for some reason decided to try to grow a beard.  It's patchy and thin but damn it, it's mine!
  • Options
    Pogonotropher.  Had to look that one up.  Add another piping pogonotrophist to the list.  
  • Options
    I've had a beard since high school - it is going grey rapidly but it doesn't bug me, my kids say it is cool because it makes me like santa claus :) I like @PappyJoe idea, once it goes full grey/white I will grow it full and wear red for the winter months-might as well add to the holiday spirit right?
  • Options
    @paulwansing - Numerous times over the past several years, I have been in a store and heard a child throwing a fit about something. If I see the child, I stand where they can see me and they just stop and get quiet.  It's hilarious. I've even had mothers say thank you.