Home General
Options

Pipe Smoking and Beard Correlation

Comments

• Options
    I'm 70, and I've had a beard for decades, going back to the 70's, not because I like how I look with a beard but because I hate shaving. Every electric I've tried chews up my neck, and blade shaving is such an expensive and time consuming fuss.
  • Options
    motie2: I hate shaving also, electrics chew me up (I think I have tried an electric maybe 10 times, bought a nice new one too-didn't make a difference). I have used a wet shave dual blade the most, blades get expensive.  They work fine unless against the grain.  I recently started using a full on throat cut straight razor..or two.  They shave nice and close and are cheap...once you get the razor and the sharpening stones and the strops and the paste....ok, they are expensive too, but you know what, they will take off a full beard in one pass.  They are kind of dangerous and it does take very good skills with a hone and strop to get them to shave. Anyway, I was using straight razors for about a year with a "Biker Stash" and a "Soul Patch", now I have just let my beard grow out as you can see in my avatar.  Now I have $$$ in razors/hones/strops/brushes/soaps/soap bowls/aftershaves that I don't use, silly rabbit.  Maybe I will have to start shaving my head completely, although I'm pretty sure I would scalp myself badly with a straight razor......on second though....bad idea:)
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar -- This is the best I've found: https://g.co/kgs/JE00d3 
    The "Rolls Razor," a stone, strop, and single edge saftey razor all in one kit. 
    But I went with a beard. I use the Rolls to trim up.

mtU9XwvENH4MWDrfZgIclIQ
  • Options
    Does it count if you wish you could grow one? 

My father was just able to at age 50 (I'm 24). We have bad beard genes.
  • Options
    I'm with Motie2; Moustache since the 60's and beard since the 70's, I trim out from the neck to 1" up the chin as I don't like the feel of hair on the crease of my neck. Also from under the eyes and halfway down the cheeks. A disposable razor last's me months, I can't use a Straight Razor due to my Shakes causing unnecessary surgery.
  • Options
    Beard here as well.....I figure it is good because later in the afternoon there are usually crumbs from lunch to carry me into dinner, and after a nice bowl of my aromatic pipe tobacco, I have a lingering aroma in my moustache and beard to remind me of my last smoke.Very practical having a beard.
  • Options
    Full beard. Love when my kids say..."I can smell your tobacco in your beard."
  • Options
    The older I get the more facial hair I need to hide the additional flaws and imperfections that come with aging - like the sagging jowls and double chin. And Gods knows what else is hiding under all that hair. 
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    lol. Apparently I am the only beardless freak here but it is NOT by choice. In 11 years or so this face (and this wallet) will never see a razor again.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

Full beard.  Ironically it was the Mrs that suggested I grow a beard and the Mrs that suggested I try smoking a pipe.  Now she says she likes the beard but doesn't like the smoke aroma in my beard.  Looking for a blend that she doesn't mind so much.

• Options
    Smoke the blend you enjoy then simply splash a little after shave or cologne on your beard - then you'll both be happy.  
  • Options
    Although you can't see my face, I also have a beard, I let it grow out during Winter months so I can stay a little warmer, I also let my hair on my head grow, I look like an old Hermit during the Winter and first part of Spring but after that I usually trim it down but still keep it, this year I don't think I am going to trim it down, it is longer this year since I started to let it grow earlier this past Fall, might just have to trim the sides a little and let the front grow, just to see how long I can get it.  lol  I am 51 and just now showing grey hair on the sides of my head, just in front of my ears and a little in my beard, I see some of you talking about dying your hair, personally I am single and at this point do give a Rats A$$ about anyone (female) complaining about it, so let the grey come on in.  
    As for the aroma, I smoke Cigars a lot so sometimes I don't like the lingering smell from some of them (not all of them) so I wash it out but most of the Pipe aroma I love and try to leave it in all day if possible. 

• Options
    @moti2--I have a similar set. It was my grandfathers. There are several single edge safety razor handles and the handle/clamp device to hold the blades while they are stropped on an old Pike narrow strop. I tried one of the "comb" razors with a single edge scraper blade....bad move....they must be too thick or cheap to strop to shaving sharp.....it razor burned the heck out of me
  • Options
    When I just have a moustache, I favor cigars. When I grow my full beard or even if it is in that scruffy stage that my wife loves, I favor a pipe.
  • Options
    Anyone singe off part of their beard or mustache lighting a nose warmer?
  • Options
    On the beard side of things. I was just given a bottle of Olivinia Cedar & Bergamot Beard Oil & Shave Prep. 
    Now, while I'm not convinced beard oil is anything more than a Hipster invention to make money, I started using beard products a couple of years ago when given some as a Christmas present.
    This one has a nice aroma of cedar and oranges but is not cloyingly sweet or overpowering. Someone needs to make it into a men's cologne because the women would love it.

I'll have to see how my beard smells after a pipe this morning.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, I am working on just such product(s).  Making my own shower gel with "manly" fragrances.  Will move to beard oil soon.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Obviously, costs will vary depending on how often you find it necessary to change your beard oil. Regarding Ghost's comment, the aroma of a beard oil should probably take a backseat to it's relative flammability.
  • Options
    I cannot imagine any circumstance in which I would use "beard oil," any more than I would use whatever is the present day equivalent of Brylcreem on my hair.....
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's the Sicilian in me but I have naturally oily skin and find myself pouring rubbing alcohol on a paper towel to remove that excess oil off my face several times a day - so the last thing I need is beard oil.       
  • Options
    Ghost, When I'm smoking a nose warmer I consciously bring the flame in from the front of the pipe to prevent such a conflagration, I stopped drinking Blue Blazers when I grew my moustache.
  • Options
    @motie2 - I used to be the same way because I always thought the beard oil was supposed to help those beard-challenged ones to grow a good beard. After I received my first bottle, it was explained to me that it's basically like using a conditioner after shampoo when you take a shower. It's supposed to restore the natural oils. That being said, I don't use beard oil very often, usually only before going out with the wife. 
  • Options
    I'm not Sicilian, but I can identify with @ghostsofpompeii. I wash hair and beard everyday with Dr. Bronner's soap. A touch of 4711 mixed with Old Spice and that's all I need. More oil? Hell, no.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I shave regularly, not because I cannot grow a bread but because my wife refuses to kiss me if I have any facial hair. So, shave I do.
  • Options
    I am one of those strange beard people that has a collection of beard oil and balm. Part of my collection came this Christmas, as it was an easy gift for people to give me (since I have a beard, and it's a popular product). I do enjoy using it, as it helps my beard hairs stick out, rather than sit flat on my face.

I don't own this one, but Forge and Foundry does carry a beard oil called Sweet Tobacco. I'm sure our beards usually smell of sweet tobacco, but just in case you want the aroma and can't have a pipe, here's the link.

https://www.forgeandfoundryproducts.com/collections/beard-mustache/products/beard-oil-and-face-moisturizer-sweet-tobacco-1oz

• Options
    A shorty 4 1/2" Baraccini pocket pipe, a brisk wind, a recently refilled Zippo pipe lighter, a flame with a life of it's own, and I damn near burned off my beard and mustache. Man that was terrible. I think I even singed my nose hairs ... and I'm a well manicured Dude who doesn't let his nose hairs dangle out of his nostrils. So them hairs were way up in my nostrils closer to my brain than upper lip. I don't understand why so many people have suddenly taken to the stubby nose warmer pipes. Especially all the bearded pipe smokers out there. You mountain men with bushy beards are inches from a Red Alert Facial inferno.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- With so many alternatives, why a lighter fluid lighter? 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii That's one of the reasons why I've never been all that enthralled with nosewarmers and stubby pipes. I get the convenience factor, but I'd rather smoke a pipe with a longer stem.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Let's face it: We're hardcore pogonotrophists. 
    We didn't ask to be this way; we made a choice.
  • Options
    @motie2 Once I discovered Zippo made a lighter specifically for pipes I always had one. Probably had about three or four including one with Sherlock Holmes on it. I alternate between wooden matches and my Zippo, depending upon where I'm smoking. If I'm in my house - the Zippo ... in the garage - I use a match ... outside, walking in the woods or on a trail - the Zippo.