Home The Pack
Options

Hi Guys, been feeling around here (The site mind you) trying to find this place to introduce myself. My mis-nomer is Beechnut but I'm really a John.  I can't say I'm new to smoking pipes. Started with some disgusting peach brandy flavor which I can remember to this day and that's a lot of days ago. I was a student at Concordia College (University now) in Austin. I have moved around a lot but mainly Navy days Brooklyn, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Florida. I was lucky, really lucky, then stayed in NYC for about7 yrs, then to SF Bay area for 20+, my kids grew up and went to school there. Then 13 yrs in Southern Calif, Palm Springs area. Went to school too much but not really enough?? Landscape Architect, Architectural Design.
    So more recently I live in Northern KY next to Cincinnati. Love it here except I'm too far from Grand kids in CA. I chew , yes Beechnut, as a Landscape contracting Company I was outside all day and we also had ranch endeavors too. Love that stuff but can't do it here or there but better than a pipe there but over here..you got it...things are a little slower now and I can make time for a bowl or a cigar occasionally. Been mostly experimenting but do have favs. Like the English style with Turkish blend and Latakia! But I'm always trying something new. I think pipes and associated tobacco is made for this.  I suppose the Dutch style is good for every day. Sail was my favorite until I discovered Latakia by accident.  I also find that I am now an old, young fart. I shy away from the sweet stuff more than I did years ago. Well, that's me...Kinda' 
   I do have a question for you experts, cause I am not an expert on pipes and tobacco for sure. OK, in ordering misc tobaccos and experimenting a lot I find it to be near impossible to get fresh, moist tobacco. Does it vary by types? I find that most of the more pricey stuff comes in tins and almost all of it is dry as a bone, like brittle. Is that OK, over the hill, and can I correct it like keeping cigars in a humidor. I appreciate your help, Beech

Comments

• Options
    @1Beechnutguy2 Welcome, and happy to have you aboard with us. 
  • Options
    @1Beechnutguy2  WELCOME fellow piper!
  • Options
    Welcome to TPL!
  • Options
    Welcome to TPL, any thing you need to know, their are plenty of members to give you expert advise.
  • Options
    Senior Chief, alias Pappy Joe, just call my grunt or swabby. Either will do. Your advice makes sense and I appreciate it. Returning the moisturized tobacco to the tin is not going to work because it isn't air tight after opening.  Funny, I don't think any of these tins were opened because they were difficult to open because of the vacuum.  These were Durbar and Punch purchased from probably PipesandCigars.com. I just received a tin of Royal Yacht from Cup o Joes and it was perfect. And, I like it though it's a little mild. I know I will enjoy this site...already have new ideas and  I appreciate all the welcomes. Back soon, Beechnut
  • Options
    @1Beechnutguy2 Welcome to the group. Never spent any time in the Navy or Coast Guard, but I have watched my share of Popeye cartoons over the years. If it's anything like that, you guys sure like skinny women.
  • Options
    @1Beechnutguy2
    What you need to do is find some the squat Mason or Ball jars and move the tobacco to those. When you screw the lid down tight it will provide a tight seal and will keep the tobacco from drying out too fast. I have some blends that have been in jars for five years and they are still in good smoking condition. Like I said earlier, just put a piece of orange peel in the jar with the tobacco and it will draw the moisture out of the peel and into the tobacco.

And I never said "grunt" (which is a Marine) or "swabbie". I said junior sea going service. LOL
  • Options
    @1Beechnutguy2 Welco.e and have some fun here on TPL...
  • Options
    @1Beechnutguy2

BTW, my first bowl, like your’s, back in the day, was John Rolf’s Peach Brandy, a drugstore blend favored by our organist. I was in the choir.
  • Options
    @1Beechnutguy2 and @motie2 I alternated between Middleton Cherry blend and John Rolf's Peach Brandy when I started smoking. I bought the Match blend of John Rolf's Peach Brandy from Pipes&Cigars a while back ... and Holy Cow did that blend burn my tongue. I seem to remember it burning back then as well, but I wasn't as well versed in the fine art of pipe smoking when I was a teenager. But I sure aint no teenager now ... yet that blend gave me a serious case of tongue bite.
  • Options
    Both blends bite like a barracuda.
  • Options
    DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited March 2021