Home General
Options

March Meer Madness Is Here!

Comments

• Options
    My buddy at work says I’m starting to look like Ted Kaczynski😳
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

How close are you to the little shack outside Lincoln Montana?

BTW, Your beard is way better.....
  • Options
    @motie2
    I am about 300 miles away and it is mostly 2-Lane roads.  A friend and I visited his sister and her family that lived in Lincoln around 1984-86?  She was a “hooker” in town.  “Hooker” being-she worked at the Hi-Country Jerky company hooking strips of jerky meat on little hooks that went into the smoker😂😂😂😂.  “Hooker”....company joke😂😂😂.  We stopped at the local diner to have lunch....thinking back, for all I know, I could have been sitting in the cafe with crazy Ted🤔
    By the way, Hi-Country used to have the best jerky anywhere...until they started using ground meat and a different (sweeter) recipe 🙁. Now it is not as good, but sucks less than almost all others that I have tried.  Wild Bill’s was good too, when it was strips instead of ground meat, now theirs is ground too....and it sucks🙁.  Any jerky that needs to be refrigerated after opening is NOT proper jerky.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @KA9FFJ
         Actually, if you look back a few pics in this thread (March 2020) you can see the pipe with the stem background highlighted by my grey mustache and shorter beard.
    Here is is again without a big ugly mug in the pic to detract from it’s beauty.  By the way, I don’t use white gloves to handle it🙂
         Well, since it’s out, I might as well smoke it again, BCA sounds good🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

Funny you should mention jerky.
    My sons and I consider jerky to be one of the major food groups.
  • Options
    @motie2
    When I think of a meat and potatoes meal, it’s jerky and Lay’s Original potato chips👍🏻🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    When I was stationed on an icebreaker in the early 70s, one of the first things I was taught was to stock up on beef jerky before leaving port for three to six months. One of the first snack foods they sold out of was beef jerky. When I became a photojournalist, I still would keep three or four packs of jerky in my camera bag or go-bag. 

If you want good jerky, you have to find bison or venison jerky. Both are better than any commercial beef jerky. (You can put hot sauce on cardboard and it will taste better than most commercial jerky.)
  • Options
    Question: Which do you guys prefer: soft jerky or leather hard?
    My sons and I prefer the hard stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @motie2
    Hard

I have a recipe for jerky that I use when I harvest a deer.  I’m not a fan of mule deer meat raised on prairie grass and sagebrush, but the meat disappears when it’s made into jerky.  It’s funny how 30-40 pounds of meat (before jerked) is gone in just a day or two.  When I was at home and hunted,  my  four younger siblings....and I....were ravenous.  I even modified the recipe so I could use the small “burger” pieces in my “Jerky Shooter” manual extruder.  It looks like a caulking gun.  The recipe is very close the the original Hi-Country and original Wild Bill’s commercial jerky.
    Dang, now I want some good jerky.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

The closest this city boy ever got to deer meat was my one time experience of venison chili.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ

A sweeeet lookin’ pipe. 
    The RLP-6 is sweet in its own right.
  • Options
    @motie2
    So, did you like the venison chili?
    My buddy from back in my college days lives up in Kalispell, Montana, he is a very avid hunter even still.  His family made “Hot Dish”.  It was a casserole and they almost always used pronghorn antelope meat.  If there is one meat worse than an old nasty prairie mule deer, it’s antelope...well that and pigeon is pretty nasty too😖
  • Options
    I remember a story my granddad told me about an old-timey guy living out in the wild who ran out of food one winter, and at the time the only thing he could get was a porcupine. Apparently, the guy tried cooking it six different ways, and it was still unpalatable, but since he was starving he managed (just!) to choke it down.
    Don't know if it was a literal story, or something apocryphal to teach about not letting one's supplies get so low.

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar

The venison chili was the result of an seminarian inquiry into Genesis 27:3,4 - "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me venison; and make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die.’"   Scoring the venison was the hard part. The recipe came from one of us who was raised by a hunter father, and was wise in deer. 

Group consensus was that it was ok, but "gamey", as anticipated.
  • Options
    @motie2
    If it was games, the venison wasn’t prepared correctly. The only time I’ve had games venison was when it was from a fresh kill and not processed. 
  • Options
    Yea, “gamey”😖

I have had deer venison twice that was not “gamey” at all, they were both whitetail deer that were taken near cornfields.  All of my deer I processed myself, so I know how cool and clean the meat was kept.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
     Sounds like my uncle on the other side of Louisiana. He has around 70 acres of wooded property that he lives on. He had a good size garden in his backyard and was growing his own vegetables and corn. He told me once his deer stand was on his back porch and he would just sit there on mornings during hunting season to kill his deer. The state gave him a pass on doing that because the deer was a nuisance eating his corn crop.  He doesn't do it anymore because he's 97 years old, and his son has moved the stands further into the woods on the property.

• Options
    Sunday morning smoke. Indigo in my calabash with meerschaum bowl. 
  • Options
    Second pipe of the day. Firedance flake in my sailing ship by Bolgi. 

• Options
  • Options
    @PappyJoe

You can clench that imposing meer?

Your own teeth.... or dentures?

Or perchance, was it but a passing moment?

In any event, a stunningly handsome pipe.