Home The Pack
Options

Smoking Night - What would you include?

I am going to create a regular smoking night at my home. I know what I think makes a great experience: comfortable location, ventilation, community of great folks, good conversation, great music. I love hospitality and welcoming friends into my home, so I'd like to pick your brains.

What would you like to see included in a "smoking night" with good friends? Food, drinks, supplies, anything else?
What would make you want to attend and return?
Thanks- Fletch

Comments

• Options
    Scotch, Jazz, and Tobacco products. Sounds like a fantastic time to me.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Food, good ventilation, drinks (alcohol or other depending on person), tobacco, butane or matches incase some one's doesn't work. God friends and conversation are all that would make me attend.
  • Options
    A variety of beverages can be useful.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have it covered. For food I'd stick to light finger foods.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    I agree with @PappyJoe and @drac2485 it seems like you're good to go. Makes me wish I lived closer now so I could attend.
  • Options
    On one of the other threads, some folks were saying they don't live around other pipe smokers. 
    So, I invested in a bunch of (cheap) Missouri Meerschaum pipes and bought one bag of aromatic and one bag of English tobacco blends. Then invited some non-pipe smoking friends over to try them out. Now I have a group of guys who like the camaraderie and community that pipe smoking involves. A few have gone on to buy their own new or estate pipes.
    To quote a cheesy line from the 90's : If you build it, they will come.  It helps to throw some good drinks and food. :) 
    Fletch
  • Options
    Seems like most of my suggestions have been covered.

One day, for my smoking area, I want to add a dart board as part of the decor. I remember when growing up seeing a big arcade dart board at a restaurant I'd go to with my family. The cabinet was adorned with a Sherlock type, man in a deerstalker, pipe in mouth, ready to throw a dart. Since then, I've associated pipe smoking and darts together. Haven't had too much experience playing darts, but with a pipe? I'd give it a shot.
  • Options
    Depending upon your preference ... a good book - or a good movie.
  • Options
    I agree with all the above.....but I need your address.
  • Options
    If you are outside, a fire pit and a good wood fire.  How do I get to your house?
  • Options
    @the badgerpiper  No pub or Man Cave can be complete without a dart board. I love watching the old Universal Horror Films and every time there was an interior shot of a pub, you'd always seem some old codgers tossing the darts. Of course by the end of the movie they'd end up a torch carrying mob after either the Frankenstein monster. Wolf Man or The Mummy.
  • Options
    Don't forget to include a fancy smoking jacket as well. If it's Smoking Night you must play the part. Sitting in a recliner in your boxer shorts and Molly Hatchet T-Shirt doesn't set the mood.  
  • Options
    No improvement needed to the multiple choices above.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- It's like you can see inside my house, except it's jockey shorts and a Shinsuke Nakamura t-shirt. Ok, not true, about the jockey shorts -- I put pants on when I'm out on the rear deck so the neighbors don't freak.
  • Options
    @motie2 Shinsuke Nakamura eh? Good choice. After about a fifteen year break, I'm following the WWE again. I heard Chris Jericho was still wrestling, and since he was a favorite of mine back in the day, I decided to see how he was doing. I'm glad I did, as the talent there now is incredible. I'm enjoying what I see of Shinsuke.
  • Options
    I've seen Dart Boards in English Pubs and if you think you're good at Darts be prepared to buy lots of rounds for the winners.

Never saw a Board in an Irish Pub.
  • Options
    I know: I'm off topic. I apologize, but I'm just thrilled to not be the only guy who watches WWE's 'soap opera for men.'
    Hey, Badger, we should start a Pipes 'n' Wrasslin' folder.....        Or maybe not.... 

@thebadgerpiper - Chris Jericho is scheduled to "wrestle" Kenny Omega in NJPW's next major event.
    I think Vince might have begun building to AJ Styles vs Nakamura at Wrestlemania.
    Their NJPW match was one for the ages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JklqPe_x3Wc
    Fan made promo for WM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ilFntjXoKQ
  • Options
    @motie2 - My sons and I were WCW fans before it folded into the WWE or whatever it is now. Even the wife would sit and watch on Monday nights. She was a big Sting fan. One son was a Nature Boy fan and the other liked Hacksaw Jim Dugan and the Road Warriors. Haven't watched wrestling for 7 or 8 years now.

Actually my introduction to "professional" wrestling goes back to the 1960s when my mother was a big wrestling fan and we lived in Beaumont, Texas. Every Saturday night was a wrestling night and occasionally one of the big names from that era would be the main feature. We also had a local tv station which had live wrestling on Saturday afternoon and allowed 100 viewers in free to fill the stands. We were in the audience when one of the favorites, Pepper Gomez was severely injured when his opponent jumped off the top rope and landed wrong. 

None of it was politically correct back then either. We had midget wrestling and midget women wrestling. I remember seeing people like The Sheik, Johnny Valentine, Gary Hart back in the mid to late 1960s. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- My parents left me with my grandparents on Sunday afternoons (in retrospect, "I wonder why.....") and grandma and I would sit in front of the round screen Dumont TV with the rotary vernier tuning and watch pro-wrestling. She hated Gorgeous George and loved Antonino Rocca. Picture this little round grandmother with her snow white hair up in a bun, muttering, "KEEL HIM, KEEL HIM!!!!!"
  • Options
    Before I write this, I know almost all of you are well aware of how fake and orchestrated these events are.

A friend and I went to both a WWF wrestling meet, and a Roller Derby for just one reason: to see exactly how they faked them. The wrestling match we had front row seats. First off these guys were introduced as like 6'-7" and weighing 330 pounds and such. The truth was some were not much  larger than me, don't get me wrong these dudes were very athletic....they did however pair them up size wise so you had nothing with which to compare in the ring. What amazed me were the 'rabid" older women who were also ringside cursing and screaming. We could see the opponents whispering moves to each other the entire match. The ring 'surface" is so resilient and flexible that it probably deflected a good 6" or 8" when someone was slammed, the energy from which was dissappated as the "slammer" positioned himself in a slightly "arched" position so to avoid his entire mass to NOT land on the "slammie". Interesting enough, the body slams almost ALWAYS happen in the center of the ring where the surface is most flexible. Anybody who would really be flattened by a "6'-4" and 330 lbs." does not smile and whisper anything to the other dude.

The Roller Derby was a bit different, even not being as close to the track, you could still see the skaters "talking" to each other and signalling often, even to indicate what side they were going to try and pass. What made me decide that this was NOT quite as fake as the WWF, there was a skater who got rocketed off the track into and over the side rail and was out cold. At about that time we decided this was enough, and we left just as the EMT's were attending to the victim. We go down to the basement parking as they bring out the skater on a gurney and just by happenstance we actually followed the ambulance and saw it go into the local hospital ER. So either they play the script right to the end, or most likely he was hurt by accident.

Those were the last times I have ever gone to these events.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2017
    Again: WWE is soap opera for men. NJPW, is still entertainment, but they work a lot harder than the WWE performers. 
    Nakamura was kept down in NXT for so long until he was able to assure the powers that be that he would not kill a top WWE performer by accident.
    As it is, look what he accidentally did to Samoa Joe, who is no cream puff.
  • Options
    For a very short while I THOUGHT about getting involved in wrestling. I met (on a job site) the absolute greatest guy, a former WW2 Navy UDT guy, who travelled the country after WW2 as the "Mad Nazi" or something like that, Karl Von Hess. We talked one day for hours and he told me then it was REAL "wrastling" and he described it with no real script. He told me of assaults because some people believed his character. He was in bar fights, run out of town, shoot at, etc. seeing as it was not too long after WW2. To meet and talk with this 'gentleman" you would never guess his former role. No one knew his real role in WW2 which was that of a real U.S.hero. He died some ears back, a true, true wonderful person to have met and be reguiled as I was. You can check him out on wikipedia.
  • Options
    @Mangoandy -- Your list sounds pretty much complete. I too agree with @mfresa that if outside a firepit or chiminea would be really nice. It creates a great atmosphere. There's just something about men sitting around fire at night... very tribal.
  • Options
    @pwkarch Of course it's scripted. I remember one match I went to with my mother. The main event was a chain match where the wrestlers were handcuffed to each other with a 6 foot chain. The loser was beaten to a bloody pulp with the chain and bleeding from the head, ears and mouth. Had to be carried out on a stretcher. About 45 minutes later when everything was over, he was standing outside the main door drinking a beer, smoking a cigar and signing autographs.
  • Options
    My intro into TV Wrestling was in the early 50's Antonino Rocca"The Barefoot Boy of the Pampas" (who wrestled barefoot because no one had athletic shoes big enough for his feet.) Gorgeous George, The Swedish Angel, And the evil woman wrestler "The Great Moolah".I met Antonino Rocca in a bar in the Meadowlands, in his late 60's he was the Bouncer, still impressive. I never followed it later in Jr. High.
  • Options
    @Mangoandy What time do you want us all to come over? :)
  • Options
    Not on subject but, Hey @PappyJoe you mentioned you lived in Beaumont, TX when younger. Did you know a young man by name of Hubert Luther Henderson? I believe his family was from there. One of the greatest guys I ever met and a man to have at your back. He was a great partner when we got sent in to break up really bad large scale fights. No one ever got by him to me, when he mustered out I found out what it felt like when they did get by my new partner.
  • Options
    When I'm havin folks over to enjoy a pipe or cigar, other than the monthly poker gang, I make sure to have a few of my estate pipes cleaned up as well as a few MM cobs for those that may want to try a pipe but are either afraid of somehow harming one of the briars or are a little hesitant to smoke an old pipe that someone else has had in their mouth.

Obviously this is for folks that are new to pipes.

I haven't had an opportunity to have any experienced pipers over to my mancave, but definitely need to get something planned.

As for the snacks and drinks?

Pork rinds and PBR of course  :wink:
  • Options
    Glad to see this topic revived.
    Funny enough, I have encouraged a younger man at church to host just such a gathering tonight.
    It looks like he will have 30+ guys smoking pipes and cigars and enjoying a few bottles of wonderful bourbons, whiskeys and other fine beverages.
    He holds the gathering out in the middle of the central valley of California at an old drafty barn. There will be a bonfire and some BBQ'd beef and pork for nibbling.
    Easily my favorite night of the month!
  • Options
    @motie2 Glad you finally found my comment, and I'm glad as well to see other fellow current and former fans of the sport of kings. Yes, rasslin' is scripted and fake, but that almost improves the experience for me. These men and women are just as much athletes as the other ones on ESPN. Not only do they have to have the strength and endurance to perform these moves, but do so in a way that looks believable while not hurting each other.

When I was a kid, I went through the stages of discovering that wrestling was both fake and predetermined. While it was disappointing at first, I still enjoyed the soap opera and kept watching both the WWF and WCW. I was a huge fan of Bret and Owen Hart (RIP), Jericho, Benoit (at the time...), Sting, Flair, and Goldberg. I stopped in high school due to time, but it was a huge part of my young life.

I never got to meet any wrestlers (other than the Bushwackers at a signing), but I met a guy who knew George The Animal Steele, and my orthodontist was friends with Lanny Poffo, and went to school with Randy Savage. I loved hearing the stories they'd tell about them, and how they were real people, rather than the characters portrayed on tv.

Now that I'm back into it, I'm glad I had the time away. This new crop of wrestlers constantly impress me with their skill, especially the womens wrestling. Sadly, I can't watch it on tv, because my wife hates wrestling with a passion. She'd rather be around me while I smoked the stinkiest blend in my cellar over watching Raw or Smackdown.

If someone were to make a Pipes and Rasslin' thread, I'd post in it.

Speaking of Ric Flair, @PappyJoe ESPN just aired a 30 before 30 episode on the Nature Boy. Supposedly, it's very good, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.