Home The Lounge

IPSD FEBRUARY 20...

As you may know February 20th is International pipe-smoking Day. Thought I would post to find out what your plans are or what you'll be smoking and what pipes you'll be using for this event.

Comments

• That's a good question @Londy3.  Seeing as that is a Tuesday, I'll be working most of the day so there is no time for smoking.  However, after work I plan to go to my local brick & mortar shop, which is only a few blocks from my office, and meet up with some of my fellow cigar and pipe smoking friends for some conversation and  a wee dram or two.
  • If the weather conditions are acceptable, I will sit in my front yard and smoke my pipe. I may even wave at the people driving by.
  • I'll be working on the 20th but I have an hour commute each way so the possibilities are endless. I'll also take advantage of any spectacular Internet sales in celebration of IPSD.  
  • I’m afraid that I’ll be remembering IPSD as the first anniversary of the Great P&C Meltdown.
  • I think it may be the inaugural smoke in my truck Probably something that smells nice like Rivendell. I have had that sitting around for a while and just recently started smoking it. Really pleasant stuff. That would go in my 316 ks or a cob.
  • I will take a nice long walk tonite and smoke some Mrs. Hudsons in a pipe not yet determined.
  • <<...Mrs. Hudson's...>>   Enjoy!!!!
  • I'll have a few pipes in the garage and place an order on smokingpipes.com. I used wait for P&C to do their goodybag deals, but I think I'll pass this year. I'm still a very happy customer of theirs, but their goodybags aren't worth it IMO.
  • My pipe club will hold their gathering on IPSD, I'm planning on going there.
  • I’m not unpacking this tin until IPSD or possibly St. Patrick’s Day...I cannot decide. Super excited though.

*That is Cornishman in my MM

• Awesome guys! Not sure what I will be doing yet but a pipe is in store for sure. I don't some new tins is like to try. More to come...
  • We are moving our pipe club meeting to Tuesday because of IPSD.
  • I'll follow @PappyJoe's lead and wave at the neighbors (maybe).
  • We're having our quarterly Pipe Night at my house tomorrow. I've invited several friends over to celebrate International Pipe Smoking Day on my back porch. It's always fun to get together, smoke a bowl and have some great conversation... especially on IPSD!! I also hope to get a "new" pipe from a buddy of mine who's restoring several old Petersons. If the new P-lip stems come in the mail tomorrow (from Ireland) I'll have one more to add to my collection... I love Petersons pipes!
  • Came in the afternoon email from our friends at Smokingpipes.com

Tomorrow Is Our Day

Monday, February 19, 2018 by Chuck Stanion

IPSD. To the uninitiated, like my wife, it sounds ominous. I was prattling on about this special day over the weekend, and my wife didn't know what I was saying. "Did you say IPSD? Is that some sort of condition, like ADD or PTSD?"

"Condition?" I said, appalled at her ignorance. "It's the most important day of the year!"

"More important than, say, my birthday?"

"Not fair. This is a day celebrated by people around the globe every year."

"My birthday would be, too, if you knew how to throw a proper party. What's it mean? Wait, I can get it: Idaho Poets Significance Day? Irrelevant Prefix Suspension Day? Industrial Paint Swirling Day? International Perfume and Scent Day?"

"Your clumsy guesses are inappropriately irreverent. It's International Pipe Smoking Day, and it's this Tuesday."

"Pipe smokers have a day now? What do you do with it? Smoke?"

"Well, yeah. We do. But it's more than that."

I didn't try to explain. Her dad had smoked pipes around her since the time she was a baby, so she thinks of them as articles of daily living rather than utilitarian art celebrated by a thriving pipe community. I'd have no more luck than if I was explaining International Athletic Socks Day.

But we pipe people know.

It's a day when we celebrate personal freedoms and work toward more understanding of our pastime. Pipe smoking is most often a solitary activity, but for ISPD we raise a bowl in honor of our fellows and commune with the world's population of similarly minded people. We remember the rich history of pipe smoking and the many smokers who came before us. And we also look to the future, providing knowledge and information for those new to the pipe. Pipe clubs and retail stores plan activities and sales, our favorite pipes are laid out for the event, and we cherish the small, good things in our lives.

Ours is a philosophy of peaceful coexistence with those who do not understand us. But most of all, it's a philosophy reflected in ISPD: to enjoy life and the vast community of pipe smokers, all of whom are brothers and sisters of similar enthusiasms.

http://www.smokingpipes.com

• Christmas, Halloween, and IPSD are my three favorite holidays.
  • ocpunk714ocpunk714 Master
    edited February 2018
    I scratched the itch...lol. @Londy3  @mfresa

100% recommend the 2018 blend from Peterson if you love a sweet fruity blend. It smells like a berry pie fresh out of the tin. Check my vid...I should’ve packed a little bit better, but I was super excited.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfveh8PPlTA
  • Same to you @Woodsman and to all of my other friends on TPL! I started to celebrate the day by purchasing two new pipes on smokingpipes.com.  Enjoy the day all!
  • jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited February 2018
    Temps are going to skyrocket to the 60's later today in Southern New England, so I will be able to smoke outdoors to recognize the day after work.

• Happy IPSD to you all! I plan on enjoying some Esoterica Stonehaven in my early 1920's Dunhill Dead Root at the Briar Shoppe here in Houston. Might as well imbibe on the finer things of the pipe world today as it is our day!
  • @ocpunk714 That is a beautiful Pipe you have there.  Love the finish of that bulldog!
  • Happy IPSD to all of my TPL brothers! And all pipe smokers everywhere. 
  • Happy IPSD to all of you. Enjoy your pipes today! I'm not working today so I know I will.

I'm plan on starting with a bowl of Exotic Orange in a Savinelli Bulldog. I have tins of Mac Baren Mixture Flake and C&D Captain Earle's Mystic Blend lined up for later in the day. In honor of @motie2 I may even light up some Barbados Plantation. 

@jim102864 - It reached 80 in SE Louisiana yesterday. The robins, cardinals, bluejays and doves were out in force with their singing and the leaves are starting to pop out on the oak and red maple trees in the yard. Winter will soon be over down here.
  • Came in the afternoon email from our friends at Smokingpipes.com

Tomorrow Is Our Day

Monday, February 19, 2018 by Chuck Stanion

IPSD. To the uninitiated, like my wife, it sounds ominous. I was prattling on about this special day over the weekend, and my wife didn't know what I was saying. "Did you say IPSD? Is that some sort of condition, like ADD or PTSD?"

"Condition?" I said, appalled at her ignorance. "It's the most important day of the year!"

"More important than, say, my birthday?"

"Not fair. This is a day celebrated by people around the globe every year."

"My birthday would be, too, if you knew how to throw a proper party. What's it mean? Wait, I can get it: Idaho Poets Significance Day? Irrelevant Prefix Suspension Day? Industrial Paint Swirling Day? International Perfume and Scent Day?"

"Your clumsy guesses are inappropriately irreverent. It's International Pipe Smoking Day, and it's this Tuesday."

"Pipe smokers have a day now? What do you do with it? Smoke?"

"Well, yeah. We do. But it's more than that."

I didn't try to explain. Her dad had smoked pipes around her since the time she was a baby, so she thinks of them as articles of daily living rather than utilitarian art celebrated by a thriving pipe community. I'd have no more luck than if I was explaining International Athletic Socks Day.

But we pipe people know.

It's a day when we celebrate personal freedoms and work toward more understanding of our pastime. Pipe smoking is most often a solitary activity, but for ISPD we raise a bowl in honor of our fellows and commune with the world's population of similarly minded people. We remember the rich history of pipe smoking and the many smokers who came before us. And we also look to the future, providing knowledge and information for those new to the pipe. Pipe clubs and retail stores plan activities and sales, our favorite pipes are laid out for the event, and we cherish the small, good things in our lives.

Ours is a philosophy of peaceful coexistence with those who do not understand us. But most of all, it's a philosophy reflected in ISPD: to enjoy life and the vast community of pipe smokers, all of whom are brothers and sisters of similar enthusiasms.