Home General
Options

Smoking lounge...Rant

Londy3Londy3 Master
edited January 2018 in General
So, a strange thing happened to me today...twice!
Y'all know that smoking our pipes is looked down upon because of tobacco use is evil.  Cigars, same thing. I found two shops today that offer killer smoking rooms so had to check them out.  How do fellow cigar and pipe smokers get along? I didn't think there was a difference. Well, today I discovered there is. After browsing, I was told by the two establishments NOT to smoke my pipe in the lounge!! Pipes we're not welcome there. Even though they sell pipes, tools and tobacco! WTF is up with that? I was told that the cigar patrons complain to the owners that the pipe tobacco affects the cigar smoking experience. So, naturally, I did it anyhow! Your not going to push me around. Has anyone ever experienced this where you live??

Comments

• Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I’ve not tested these waters, so I can’t comment on the pervasiveness of the problem. However, it does strike me as being an enormous crock of shit. I have to laugh a bit, as you’ve now made the first move toward becoming the Rosa Parks of pipe smoking.
  • Options
    @Londy3 - My local shop in Philly is Holt's Cigars and above there is the Ashton Cigar Bar.  Never experienced any problem or negative comments in either place.  In all fairness, Holt's does not allow cigarette smokers as the regulars do not like it and Holt's does not sell cigarettes.  They simply do not want the lounge turning into a smoking hangout for city trash.  There is another cigar shop in the county area near where I live called the Wooden Indian.  They welcome both cigar and pipe smokers with no problem as well.  As to the pipe tobacco affects the cigar smoking experience, That's a new one on me.  I also smoke cigars and never had any issues not have I ever heard of such a lame excuse. 

Quite possibly, it could be just a cigar preference at those lounges but seems to me, if the places are selling pipes and tobacco, then there should not be any issues as to smoking either or in the lounge. 
  • Options
    @Topaz75, LMAO! Um, that's Mr. Parks to you sir.  ;)
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited January 2018
    Yeah it's definitely a lot of bullshit. One of shopkeepers also said that pipes were not allowed also because they just can't get the lingering smell out of the lounge. This too is crap. I occasionally smoke in the house with a bunch of non-smokers even friends... nobody can smell my pipes at all. In my experience, cigars stick more to your clothes, hair and whatnot than pipe Tobacco for some reason. Even my wife will back me up on that one. I never get a lingering smell on my clothes from my pipe. As I set here typing this message I can still smell the cigar oder on my clothes from the lounge. The reason this topic chaps my ass is because these establishments sell pipes and Tobacco and to find a smoking lounge to hang out in is next to impossible around here. So, when I do find one, in this case two, I'm getting looked at sideways because I like my pipe better than a cigar. So incredibly stupid. 

## rant end ##
  • Options
    Fie upon them!
  • Options
    Good for you,standing up to the hypocracy of this shop. I guess they want your money for Tobbaco and maybe a pipe, but don't want you sample any of these items you may have bought. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    I think part of the issue is economics. A cigar smoker will drop $10+ each time he comes in. A pipe smoker could smoke many times from one tin, that cost as much as a cigar. Since I already have more pipes than I need, and I will never smoke all the tobacco I already own, It is getting harder to support the shop. Yes, I am getting a tin on Saturday night that the owner special ordered. 
  • Options
    I envy you. I have no such place to go. OTOH, I reckon you paid more for the special order than you would have ordering online.    Just sayin'........
  • Options
    At our last pipe club meeting, the shop manager asked if we would mind a couple of cigar smokers being in the lounge while we had our meeting. I told him that he runs the place and we don't mind sharing the lounge with the cigar smokers.
  • Options
    Again, im not the one with the issue. I will gladly smoke my pipe with folks in a cigar shop, outside, or even at home. I welcome them every time I host bourbon tasting night!
  • Options
    Lindt, at the very least these clowns should have said I’m sorry if I caused you any embarrassment, if we have take 4 ounces of any tobacco you like and again we apologize for any inconvenience. May have softened the blow.
  • Options
    There are 2 cigar lounges near my home and I have smoked in both with no such problem if I was told not to smoke in the lounge I would just smoke anyway I figure my money spends just like everyone elses.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Here is a message I posted last year about the very same thing that happened to me in the only smoking lounge near me.

Hope you're treated better by the cigar crowd than I was when entering the cigar bar near me in Merriville, Indiana called Karma Cigar Bar. As it turns out the place only sells cigars, lighters, and mixed drinks ... no pipe tobacco or supplies what-so-ever. Not even pipe cleaners. I entered the place recently because before moving to their new location the owners did sell pipes and pipe tobacco ... but at that location did not have a liquor license. So l guess once they made the transition from tobacco store to Cigar Bar they dropped everything but cigars. And man did they have a nice assortment of quality cigars throughout the establishment. Very nice longue ... unfortunately I walked in smoking a pipe and was immediately singled out as something of an oddball. There were six gentlemen seated on the four couches and large chairs which made up a square around a massive coffee table - only two of the gentlemen seemed to be together watching some sporting event on the flat screen TV, while the others busied themselves with a variety of activities from reading magazines, to fiddling with their phones or iPads, and one fellow just stared off into space enjoying his cigar. They were as different as night and day ... a well dressed businessman, a gentleman in what appeared to be a hooded jogging suit, a seriously tattooed biker dude wearing a Rock & Roll T-shirt, an overweight gentlemen who took up nearly a third of one of the couches, and the two guys watching TV who may well have been construction workers. I couldn't find anyone at the counter and asked the closest guy to me seated on a couch if he knew if they sold pipe tobacco in the place. He looked up at me as if I'd just shaved his dog and made a grunting sound. I wasn't sure exactly what that meant. Then the businessman who seemed annoyed by my presence looked up from his magazine and said, "Sorry Professor Pepperdine, the lecture hall is in the next building." Everyone got a big laugh at my expense then went back to what they were doing, leaving me to stand there with my pipe in my mouth feeling like an old fool. There is an ongoing discussion on pipe and tobacco snobs also on this forum so I'll post this comment there as well. Now it has me wondering if there are also cigar snobs who look down upon pipe smokers.         

• Options

Here is what is going on as I see it. There is a new breed of cigar shop out there, that to me is similar to the discount gyms, making more money off smoothies, than they do memberships.

The way to usually solve this problem, is to do your research, and find the oldest cigar/pipe shop in the area. Chances are, they will be holding on to tradition fiercely, and would never dream of such crap.

I have heard seasoned cigar shop owners ask folks not to smoke inside the cigar humidor. I have also heard cigar smokers complain about Acid cigars and the like, which seem to appeal to the new smoker, but I have never heard of a shop owner not allowing them in a smoking room.

To me, cigar odors and cigar smoke has the potential to be more offensive, because of the volume of smoke the cigar produces compared to a pipe.

• Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited January 2018
    Not one but two establishments frowned upon pipes in their lounges?!  What a crock of crap and how incredibly ignorant of the shopkeeps to adhere to such a policy.  You'd think they'd be interested in the business given how many tobacco shops are just getting by these days. The owner of my B&M is fine with me smoking my pipe because he "sells" pipes and tobacco (sells is in quotes because while he has both in stock, he has been unable to sell any of his stock, which frankly in each case is not good quality), but also because I'm a regular who spends plenty on cigars every month.  Still, his bread and butter is selling cigars and I appreciate that he doesn't make a big deal about me bringing in my pipe and my own tobacco once a week or so.  When I do bring in my pipe, I always make sure I buy at least one stick since I just think that's common courtesy.  I'm fortunate to have three shops within driving distance and they all welcome pipe smokers. .
  • Options
    @xDutchx - You hit it right on the head.  Fortunately for me, the Holt's Cigar Shop in my area has been in business since the 1890s and is still operated in the old traditional ways. All cigar and pipe smokers alike, are welcome and treated with honor and respect.  The Wooden Indian Cigar Shop has been around about forty or so years and under new ownership about ten years now. They operate the shop in the traditional sense as it is the current owner's philosophy. He, and the patrons there, have respect for the past traditions of the old-time tobacco shops that were once everywhere.

I have been in some of the newer shops that opened around here and am willing to bet they will shut down within three or four years.  Younger generation that frequent these shops are more into hookahs and vaping rather than traditional pipes and premium quality cigars.  Not my thing and not my seen.
  • Options
    There is definitely something changing between cigar and pipe smokers. It's very odd to me. I don't know why it is or what it is. The way people buy pipes and cigars at B&Ms, the frequency of it, quantity and accessories ect. have not changed since the first shop ever opened. If cigars are more profitable than pipes that too still hasn't changed since day one so that can't be it. Regardless, I'm a customer damnit,  treat me like one or you will get slammed on the internet and believe me, you will lose new customers! l will tell you this, I will stand, sit, lounge where ever I want, while looking good with one of my choice pipes in hand. I may even be packing heat as well as my bourbon flask. Your not going to push this Italian around!

• Options
    CharlesCharles Master
    edited January 2018

@Londy3 -   Di' loro fratello!

• Options
    Pipe smokers generally smell better than cigar smokers.
  • Options
    @Charlesgrazie amico mio. un buon cappello fa l'uomo. Salute!
  • Options
    @motie2, I agree. That's what tipped me over. Ugh.

The more I'm around people, the more I like dogs.

• Options
    I've always favored terriers over hounds for the same reason.
  • Options
    Awe, but look at Vinny's face. He so damn cute. :)

• Options
    Yeah, I've experienced that as well. It's harder and harder in California where they are banning more and more places to smoke. Strangely, Disneyland here has a smoking area... That might be interesting to utilize. Haha
  • Options
    My local B&M doesn't allow pipe smoking so I don't allow them any money. The Pipe Club meets at J&R Cigars and no problem.
  • Options
    @Londy3, the shop I frequent does allow pipe smokers, we hold our pipe club meetings there, I have been going there for 35 years and never had an issue, in fact, I have sat among the cigar smokers without any problems, the shop has been blending their house blends for years and they sell tin tobacco as well , I sold 3 of my pipes there on Monday and made $200.00! and I agree with your statement concerning the smell of the tobacco, I smoke in my apartment nearly every day and I also spray Febreze afterward and detect no odor, so stand your ground.
  • Options
    Sounds like the smoking lounge is only interested in having you buy cigars. That's a shame that they treated you that way. I'm not a fan of cigars at all, but I don't look down on cigar smokers. We're all on the same team, and we should act that way, considering the opposition we face.

I have a friend that stopped in a tinderbox one time to buy me a pipe lighter for my birthday. The clerk behind the counter was adamant that my friend should buy a cigar for himself, even though that wasn't what he was there for. The clerk even made him smell a humidor to try and sell him on a cigar. My friend has smoked cigars in the past, but he wasn't there to buy one, and he seemed amused that the clerk would push them so hard. I know there are pipe snobs out there, but for the most part, all the pipers I've encountered have been very friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    Hmm, this is interesting to say the least. I'm not so surprised to hear about CA because they take things as far as you can go...kinda of a state of it's own chaos. But I will only spend my money where my pipe is welcome. I need to find a nice place until I build my own.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited January 2018
    @thebadgerpiper, I found the same to be true. I must tell you, i have never involved in the pipe community before. About seventeen years ago, I smoked a pipe, when I meet my love. I didn't go to a place to smoke it or hang out so I'm not sure if there was even a community back then. I got started because a friend at the time had a walk-in humidor filled with cigars but also had pipes and large selection of tobaccos. I asked about the pipe because I liked the smell of the tobacco over a cigar. He is the one that gave me my first pipe, tools and tobacco. For some reason after I married and moved I stopped. Anyhow fast forward to present day, the pipe community I found both on YouTube and online forums have been the nicest and most generous people I have ever been around. So to be treated like that by two different shops on the same day was a bit upsetting.