Home General
Options

Smoking lounge...Rant

2»

Comments

• Options
    Glad to see we are back on track. For a minute I thought this thread had gone to the dogs.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Could it be a case by case rule? Are you spending enough for your chair time? Would they welcome you if you bought a hundred bucks of premium sticks?
  • Options
    I don't think so. Their pipe tobacco was very high and they still banned pipes, the only thing I spent that day was 25 cents for the parking meter.
  • Options
    @Londy3 I'm glad you didn't give up the pipe out of discouragement. For all the negative aspects of our technology dependent world, I think it's only been a blessing for pipe smokers around the world. We are a rare breed, and other than the few pipe clubs out there, and the occasional pipe show, it's very difficult for a piper to surround himself in a community of like minded souls. We might not have much of a chance to go to a smoking lounge and chat with fellow brothers of the briar, but at least online we can gather together and chat about our hobby.

Granted, there's no way to truly replace the experience smoking pipes together online, and it doesn't solve your problem in finding a physical location to smoke a pipe. However, it does allow us to share our experiences with people from all around the globe, and that's an invaluable asset.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper, here, here sir.  Well said and i could not agree more!!  It would be cool if somehow we can arrange like an annual TPL gathering with maybe a pipe show included or some sponsors to show their products.  ....just thinking out loud as i type.  
  • Options
    @ Londy3, sounds like a great idea, I would love to have a TPL get together.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I know many of us are both cigar and pipe smokers but in most cases the stereotypical Hollywood cigar and pipe smokers have often fit the bill. In most movies cigar smokers are portrayed as brash loud mouth braggarts or unfeeling business tycoons who talk louder than everyone else in the room because they like the sound of their own voice. Whereas the pipe smoker is often portrayed as the more cerebral scientist, writer, consulting detective, or fatherly family man who prefers quiet logic and reason to boasts and boisterous outbursts. I suppose in reality both pipe and cigar smokers may be a little bit of both. And since my experience with pipe smokers ended after retirement - because I have yet to bump into anyone else with a pipe in their mouth - I will say that the cigar smokers I often come in contact with fit the bill of the Hollywood stereotype. They tend to be larger than life opinionated characters who manipulate the conversation while blowing smoke in your face to accent just how little they think of your opinion. My experience at the Smoking Lounge was just one example of many. (Although I did meet two elderly gentleman in the park last summer who were the most charming pair of cigar smokers I ever meet. We chatted like a couple of lifelong buddies.) And while the smell of a good cigar might be quite appealing to a cigar smoker, for those who don't smoke the occasional stogie they can stink to High Hell. And I can't help but think the guy chewing and slobbering on that cigar knows it stinks like Hell. But doesn't give a rat's ass. That's why I've always smoked an aromatic pipe tobacco ... because I do give a rat's ass, and try and make my pipe smoking as inoffensive to the non-smoker as possible. Even though a majority will complain about the smoke all the same. At least I do care about the aroma permeating from my pipe. And that's what separates me from that loud mouth cigar smoker strutting around like the commanding officer of an intergalactic strike force looking to change the planet's breathable atmosphere making it habitable for an invading alien species. Now I've been known to smoke an occasional cigar and I'd like to think I don't fit that Hollywood stereotype, but there is something about a cigar that does bring out the Mr. Potter in me. (A reference to the villain in the holiday movie "It's A Wonderful Life"). So maybe it has more to do with the actual cigar - and not the smoker. 
  • Options
    Londy3 - Totally agree about dogs and people! Great shots of those sweet canine faces. ;-)

I've had similarly depressing and insulting experiences in a few cigar-centric and cigar-exclusive places, all of which permanently deterred me from patronizing them (ever). Pipe smoke interferes with the cigar experience? Total bullshit, as far as I'm concerned. For reasons that I don't understand, newer cigar establishments seem to aim for a super-upmarket atmosphere and clientele.

One of the local lounges has refashioned itself as a private club. The new property is very nice and surprisingly large - especially surprising, as the new location opened up recently (within the last two years) in California (!). Going against the general trend that people have described here, though, the property has a really pleasant smoking lounge that's open to anyone - apart from its more luxurious, members-only club rooms. The place is unquestionably cigar-centric, but the shop sells pipes and a few (very over-priced) bulk blends. The staff welcomes pipe smokers, thankfully. Like most of us, I always make a purchase when I drop in. I want to support the business and am glad to do so.

I really hope the cigar-snobbism doesn't catch on and further endanger our severely constrained prospects of enjoying our pipes and pipe-camaraderie in public places.  
  • Options
    @Londy3 @pipeman83 Are either of you going to the Chicago show? I'm going to try and make it this year, and it would be great to have a TPL meet up in the smoking tent.

@ghostsofpompeii Well said sir! As I said, I don't have an interest in cigars, but I know many pipers also smoke cigars, so I don't have any issues with cigar smokers.

I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing most cigar smokers view pipe smokers as the old stuffy tweedy types who don't share the same interests as they do. I certainly don't mind that mental association, but with it comes the idea of pretentiousness, and that's something I cannot stand. They probably don't know what to do with us, to be honest.

My pipe smoking philosophy is this: while we might have a stigma about our hobby, I'd rather confirm the good aspects of the stereotype, rather than the negative. That means I want to be kind, thoughtful, and welcoming whenever I'm seen smoking a pipe. When around non-smokers, I'll smoke a tobacco that has a pleasant roomnote. If around other smokers, then I veer towards a quality English (preferably ones that aren't Latakia bombs), or a Virginia. If someone chooses to look down on me anyway, then there's nothing I can do about that other than take it with good humor and speak with my wallet. 

While smoking establishments might shoo us away, remember that you've done nothing wrong. They're only damaging their own potential customer base.
  • Options
  • Options
    This is slightly off topic. But if y'all want to to meet together at the Chicago Pipe Show, i can make it happen. On Saturday, there is usually a table set aside for online groups. Anyone from Pipes Magazine could go to the table at 2:00 and meet others from that forum. At 3:00 the table would be available for another forum.  
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    IMO Thursday afternoon or late Sunday afternoon after the slow smoke contest is a better time for a meetup. Way more relaxed. The Saturday times have been poorly attended because it usually conflicts with the show's main fundraiser the silent auction. One big meetup would work as many of us are on most of the online boards and Facebook groups. I was sitting around last year with a group of guys I've known for years we all were active on #pipes chat room back in the day.  
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper, I have never been to the Chicago show but I’m going to go someday, I go to the Columbus show every year.
  • Options
    @Londy3 @pipeman83 Well then, we'll have to try and meet up whenever we're at the same pipe show. While Columbus is a bit far for me, if I move to Kentucky in the future, that'll probably be my pipe show.

@daveinlax Thanks for the heads up. I've never been to the Chicago show, so that's helpful for planning.

@Winton Thanks for the offer. While I can't speak for the forum (since there are others that should probably make those decisions), I think those from TPL would probably like to get together for the event.

I'm wont know if I'll be able to go to the Chicago show until near the time of the event, but it's been something I've wanted to do since I started smoking a pipe. But if I do go, I'll definitely make time for a TPL get together.