Home General
Options

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Comments

• Options
    The best advice I ever got was in the police academy: Never assume-it makes an ASS out of U and ME! so never assume anything.
  • Options
    "Fool me once -- shame on you. Fool me twice -- shame on me."

• Options
    I was inspired by words of wisdom from two famous life-long friends Ray Bradbury, the noted fantasy and science fiction writer and Ray Harryhausen, the special effects genius who pioneered stop motion animation techniques in fantasy filmmaking. Decades ago the two made a pact while discussing their mutual love of dinosaurs and fantasy films in general which was ... "We will grow old ... but never grow up."  And that's a philosophy I continue to live by today. .
  • Options

Treat every man as a man until he proves he's not.

A man without a pocket knife is naked.

Finally in the Military:

Never be first, never be last and never volunteer.

Try to look unimportant, they might be low on ammo.

• Options
    @woodsman - I remember hearing the same military advice. One of the pieces of military advice that stuck with me was:

"Lead by example. If you are willing to do the crappy little routine jobs then those you are leading will be more willing to do the crappy little routine jobs."
  • Options

Dad once told me, "Son, when the time comes that you are ready to get married, find yourself an ugly woman."

"Why an ugly woman?" I asked.

Dad replied, "Because chances are, no one will ever run away with her, and if they do, you won't care."

• Options

There was a song that went "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life,

never make a pretty woman your wife."

• Options
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn
  • Options
    The Videographer at my son's wedding cornered my wife and I asking us to speak into the camera, and say the first thing that came into our mind. To which I replied ... "I'm not losing a son - I'm gaining a bedroom." Don't know how wise that is ... but it sure was factual. And I'm sitting in the room right now sending this message from our 'computer' room. 
  • Options
    A baseball coach always told me, if you aint cheatin you ant tryin ( with a big laugh) He also said be quick, don't hurry, hurrying causes mistakes.
  • Options
    Never Moon a Werewolf.
  • Options
    I'll always remember my Mother's loving word of wisdom ... "Get your head out of the refrigerator or I'll cut it off and stick it in the freezer." Now you need to understand my Mother was of Sicilian heritage and my Grandfather was deeply enmeshed in organized crime as a lower tier crime lord. He was no Don Corleone ... but was pretty substantial and well respected by his peers in the Chicagoland area throughout the 30s' and well into the early 60s' when he passed away. So I have no doubt that my Mother was capable of hacking off my head and putting it in the deep freeze as she threatened. And she probably could have used what-ever remained of my carcass for her world amous Italian sausages. So needless to say - I got my head out of the friggin' refrigerator pretty damn quick.  
  • Options
    I've revised my opinion. Now, I'll go with, "If it's sloppy, eat it over the sink."

Also @Woodsman == Your quote, "A man without a pocket knife is naked," corresponds to Rule 9 by NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs, "Never go anywhere without a knife." 

I carry a Spyderco everywhere I go.
  • Options
    From my grandfather: Don't speak everything that you think and think before speak.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    Best advice received, in hindsight:  Dad (1/2 kidding) said "Don't get married".......Didn't listen......paying for it now, 1 divorce later.
  • Options
    glohmanglohman Newcomer
    "good from afar, but afar from good"- when viewing women at a distance
  • Options
    "Have a good time, all the time."  - Viv Savage
  • Options
    Make sure the gun is unloaded before you clean it.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend
  • Options
    @Deadpool -- That philosophy usually ends badly for someone.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    Second part of that philosophy: Treat all fairly or they will seek revenge. -Christopher Paolini

To treat everyone fairly creates no enemies and therefore I would not befriend my enemy's enemy.  

I have no enemies now, and I do not go out to seek them.  When I was working loss prevention, I never berated or looked down on anyone.  Each person has a chance to do the right thing.  Everyone is allowed to like or dislike whatever they choose including myself.  Everyone has a chance to act like a human being when it counts.  But I will not hand an olive branch to those who cross me, my family, or my friends.  

I've tried before and was met with undesirable results.  

Some would say it's a "Get or be Got" type of thinking.  I think of it more as a defensive outlook.  Your best offense is a good defense.     

• Options
    "What you have earned cannot be taken away, what you have not earned you cannot keep", "it's not who you know, it's who knows you", "don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do", "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and He will direct your paths", "just because you did something stupid for 10 years is no reason to do it for another 10 years", "at the moment of truth it's too late to practice", "same gun, same place, every day"
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    That advice has served me well.
    A pipe stops the mouth of the foolish, draws wisdom from the wise. 
    Not the exact wording. 
  • Options
    As it pertains to pipe smoking, the best advice I ever received  was rehydrating dried out tobacco rather then toss it out. Before learning about storing tobacco in a Mason Jar I'd leave my tobacco in the plastic pouch it came in - or if I bought it in bulk I'd transfer it to a fancy decanter my wife bought for me one year. Since the decanter didn't really seal air-tight the tobacco usually dried out before I'd finish smoking it all. And the OTC blend pouches were far from perfect for keeping your tobacco fresh. So I found myself tossing out a lot of tobacco because it had dried out. Now I simply rehydrate it ... and bring it back to life. 
  • Options

God gave you a soul. Your country. A rifle. Keep all of them
    clean.

• Options
    Moderation in all things.... including moderation.
  • Options
    Not all hot sauce was meant to be consumed by humans. Sometimes hot sauce can be too damn hot
  • Options
    Matouk's Flambeau, a scotch bonnet hot sauce I buy four bottles at a time, online, is very nice at the outer edge of bearable. Full of flavor as well as heat.
  • Options
    I was once told not to get married it is a set-up. I didn't listen and my first marriage was very much a set-up. But I have now found my soul mate and can't see living my life without her. Moral of the story good advise can become bad advise.
  • Options
    Every thing you own, owns you.