Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Where do you smoke your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @mangoandy I agree with @pipeprofessor that time spent is worth more than gold.  I don't have my dad to do that with anymore. 
  • Options
    I am confined to the great outdoors whenever I want to have a bowl. I too currently rent, but will be buying within the next year. Then I will carve out a space indoors be it my office or the garage.
  • Options
    I am currently in my garage and it is sweltering....damn mosquitos! 
  • Options
    @PipeProfessor - I feel your pain. Even with a box fan in the garage (my usual smoking area) the heat here in Houston is oppressive! If I sit out on the patio I get devoured by the huge, ravenous mosquitoes. Ugh. I'm looking forward to Autumn. 
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor - Since I didn't have to buy a new pipe in July, i took the money I would have spent and invested in an evaporated cooler for the garage. It works pretty good both at providing a cooler breeze and blowing the little flying peskys away. I had been giving thought to buying a portable air conditioner for the garage but the cooler can be rolled outside to the patio also.
  • Options
    I smoke on the patio in good weather and a closed in, heatless porch in bad weather. I dress for the cold in winter. I also smoke in the car.
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor I too must deal with the heat in my garage. It's been a hot one this summer, even with my box fan going full blast. Thank goodness it's supposed to cool down this coming week here in Illinois.
  • Options
    @jamesH71 I bet its hot and sticky down there! I love summer but cannot wait for these bugs to go away!
  • Options
    @pappyjoe, they are a great idea, I almost got one when I lived in my little apartment after grad school. But you have me thinking of getting one once again!

• Options
    @thebadgerpiper, lets hope you send some of that cooler weather east!
  • Options
    My preference would be in my music studio which also doubles as our computer room, but since it's a shared room, and my wife has respiratory problems I don't use it as such. In the dead of winter when it's too cold to go outside I'll creep into the smallest of our two bathrooms, turn on the exhaust fan, and smoke in there. At night once my wife is asleep and at the complete other end of the house I'll smoke a late night bowl in the family room, then run around spraying air freshener throughout the house. But the main three places where I do a majority of my smoking is either in the garage - where we've created a nice little smoking area ... on a chair in the front yard - which is where I go if I'm working on getting a sun tan or watching wildlife scurry around ... or the majority of the time in my backyard - either on the swing, sitting at the picnic table, or if it's night in a chair in front of the Chiminea.    
  • Options
    Outside, by orders of SWMBO. (Another reason to hate winter.) A couple of glorious days at the beginning of the week, with temperatures in the low 60's, and I was able to enjoy my order from P&C which finally arrived. But, yesterday it snowed and now the temperature is below freezing. Yeah, and that's normal. Now I have to wait for at least another week before I'll be able to stand outside on my deck and enjoy a pipeful.     [Happy wife; happy life...... or so I've heard.]
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    I do consider myself highly fortunate. My wife doesn't mind if I smoke indoors, she likes the smell of pipe tobacco,, Warm weather we have a wonderful covered porch, not screened, so I can sit there in the evening, watch the bats, and enjoy a pipe. For some reason the skeeters don't bother me, (must be all the garlic) and the smoke keeps thme away from my wife. In colder weather, I have a nice workshop with a pellet stove and an easy chair. So , yes life is good.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    I suspect that the bats also deserve some credit for keeping the mosquitoes at bay.
  • Options
    I am one of the blessed: As I sit here on the day after my 51st birthday, in the leather chair I inherited from my pipe smoking grandfather 25 years ago, I am looking across the room at my wife of 28 years and listening to the laughing and chattering of 3 of our 5 children.  I am so grateful of the many years my Lord has blessed me with as I sit here enjoying a Savinelli 320 Trevi rusticated with a bowl of Lane BCA mixed 50/50 with HGL...  it was a Christmas present from my wife and kids and has brought me back to the pipe after and absence of over 30 years.  It's nice to be back and asking others who enjoy a nice smoke.  A question though for the forum; Winston Churchill said that a woman is just a woman but a good cigar is a smoke.  In this vein, what would you say a good pipe is?
  • Options
    @Oneofsevens It's a constant companion who asks nothing of you but provides much; a magical combustion-fired mechanism that kick-starts your imagination process; a briar incense burner inducing quiet reflection and meditation; a pocket-sized psychiatrist who helps you work through your problems; a pacifier for the grumpy curmudgeon to chew on when things don't go their way; a nose warmer on a cold winter night; and a miniature night light to attract moths in the summer. But most of all it's an easy choice for the wife and kids when considering a perfect Christmas gift for Dad.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - Very well said.

@oneofsevens - You are indeed blessed. Our youngest daughter developed asthma and allergies when she was 3 years old so I curtailed smoking in our house from that time until she moved out for college 14 years ago. I got used to not smoking in the house and actually prefer to sit outside when the weather permits or in my garage where I have a nice little corner bar complete with a tv and a stereo sound system. I have an old recliner in there and a couple of side tables also. 
  • Options

For me its the back porch, watching the wildlife or just enjoying the breeze looking out into our vegetable garden.

• Options
    jclaydevjclaydev Newcomer
    My patio in the back is my favorite place. I love the warm nights where my wife and I can sit on the porch after we put the kids to bed and relax or read.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I loved your commentary and heartily concur (gotta ask, have you listened to the old Pink Floyd Pompeii?)

@pappyjoe I live in the Central South so when I am smoking outside it's gotta be a Pedron Churchill else the mosquitoes and chiggers will eat you alive.
  • Options
    Oh, and a little Tullamore Dew goes so very nicely alongside.
  • Options
    @oneofsevens - Try living in South Louisiana. Half the year it's so hot the mosquitos don't even come out into the sun.
  • Options
    Try living in North Dakota: 105 in the summer with 40 mph winds, 40 to 60 below in the winter, the state bird is a mosquito, the state tree is a telephone pole, and the state flower is a crushed beer can. Everyone is from Norway or Sweden, and everyone is Lutheran. I was in Fargo for two years.....
  • Options
    Actually been sitting in the back yard and smoking for the past week in my little corner of Louisiana. Afternoon highs have been in the mid to low 60s with a light breeze that made it light sweater weather, yesterday the high was around 76 so no sweater was necessary. These spring time conditions should last another week or so before we start climbing into the 80s for daytime highs.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, I wish I had your weather!,it was 27 degrees in NE Ohio today!
  • Options
    It was 78 here yesterday.
  • Options
    Because we still have Winter conditions, I smoke in my family room and have to ventilate and spray room deodorizer to try and conceal any potential tobacco scent before my wife gets home.  Fun.  Otherwise,  when warm climes occur and eventually return, I'll be puffing away in my garage whilst watching You Tube piper videos, listening to music or my beloved Red Sox on the radio.
  • Options
    I am fortunate to be able to smoke indoors. The wife likes the smell and our living room is brick and concrete with leather furniture so nothing to hold the smell. With the south  Louisiana summer right around the corner this is nice. @pipeman83 we will be very jealous of your weather come June. Day time highs will be in the mid 90s and stay there until early September. If that's not bad enough the humidity will be so high it will send the heat index into the 100s. 
  • Options
    My front porch. However, I live in Maine, so I tend to be a fair weather smoker. Very little smoking between mid-November and the end of March. Too damn cold to sit outside and smoke. 

• Options
    @ SaintBubbles, we are going to have a high of 69 today, possibly 70,will be able to go outside and smoke!