Home General
Options

Lunting. How to?

Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
So far, I have only enjoyed my pipe sitting in the comfort of my backyard. I think the idea of lunting is awesome. However, my question is how? I get that all you have to do is to smoke your pipe while walking/hiking. How do you handle the need to relite your pipe or pack down the tobacco? What is the best practices of maintaining your smoke while walking? What suggestions do you have for a person who wants to go lunting?

Comments

• Options
    For me, I do my lunting around the neighborhood. I'd suggest for lighting in a space where there's no wind. Maybe light your pipe in your car, and then go for your walk. When you need to relight, just use your lighter while blocking the wind with your back/head. I also keep my pipe tool in my fifth pocket (the small pocket in your jeans), along with my zippo pipe lighter.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    It's not Lunting if you are just going to the cooler.
  • Options
    I'm not a rabid Bird Watcher but, it is pleasant to walk around the reserved birding sites with good trails and occasional benches. My town's walking trails tie all the athletic fields together where smoking is prohibited so I have to go farther afield.
  • Options
    How crazy is it that I've yet to lunt?  I've only enjoyed my pipe while sitting.  In fact, Connecticut is going through its second heatwave right now and it's not even Summer yet, so lunting just ain't gonna happen. I guess I'm doomed to be a luntvirgin until the weather breaks.
  • Options
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
     @Charles -- Several of us are members. It's certainly worth looking into.
  • Options
    @ motie2 -- Glad to hear that.  I discovered that site by accident, joined as well, and thought it would be a good idea to share the link for those who may not have known about it.
  • Options
    Looking at their map here...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1CE6oY8lj-exCWUc9INOO12u6lDc&ll=38.89103282648846,-93.515625&z=5

I see that we have absolutely no Lunters registered in Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas or New Mexico

I think I'll try to find fellow pipe smokers in those areas and see if we can get some critical mass going.  :)
  • Options
    Tried to donate and join but for some reason I got no confirmation that I've been added to membership.

• Options
    I ran into the same thing when I joined.  If my memory serves, I think it took em a day or 2 to acknowledge my joining, via an email.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    That's a pretty cool map. I found myself on it easily. 

However, I actually lived in North Dakota in the early 1980's and at that time there were a heck of a lot of pipe smokers in and around Fargo and NDSU. I lunted far and wide when I lived there. So it goes.

It's like living on another planet: 105 degrees with a 40 mph wind in the summer ("But it's a dry heat...") and mosquitoes that'll kill ya, and then 40 to 60 degrees below zero in the winter. I'm originally from Cleveland and I thought I knew what a blizzard was. I didn't. A blizzard means you hold your splayed palm about a foot from your face..... and you cannot see it. That's a blizzard. 

Everyone in ND is Norwegian or Swedish, and everyone is Lutheran. (The pecking order is such that the Norwegians look down on the Swedes. They tell "Ole and Lena jokes" the way people in the midwest tell (no offense intended) "Pollock jokes." The very bottom of the social totem pole (no pun intended) are the American Indians who come into town on weekends.

As I mentioned, I have seen exactly zero pipe smokers since I moved to a North Jersey suburb four years ago. And the nearest pipe shop, not in NYC (because....ecccchhh) is almost an hour south of here, depending on time of day.
  • Options
    @motie2, the last couple of winters here in Cleveland have been mild, which was a nice change, and its been in the 90's all week.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @pipeman83 -- Do you ever get to Cousin's Cigar Shop on Chagrin Blvd? In my first pipe life, I smoked their Cousin's Aromatic Mixture for nearly twenty years. If you ever get there, tell Kelly Kolod (one of the owners) hello for me. Tell him "Max Gladstone's son, who grew up in Ruby Kolod's old house." I'd appreciate it if you think of it.....
  • Options
    @Motie2, Our pipe club use to meet there in 2010,but we disbanded after lack of interest plus they closed at 7:00 so it did'nt give us a lot of time to meet, I formed the club again in 2015 and we meet at JoVann's in Mayfield Hts. where I live, so I have not been to Cousin's since then,I''m sure your familiar with them as you said you are from Cleveland Hts.,they used to be located on 91 across from Eastgate.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @pipeman83 -- Yeah, I knew them from the 60's when they had only one location, downtown on St. Clair. My dad bought his cigars there, and introduced me in 1964 when I took up the pipe. I was in Cleveland last winter and stopped by the Chagrin Blvd. store and re-introduced myself to the current owners, who are the children of the owners I met back in the day. They are, yes, primarily a cigar den, but their stock of pipes and tobacco puts the local (suburban northern NJ) cigar den to shame.
  • Options
    @motie2, I'm sorry , my question was if you remember JoVann's, I worded it wrong,my apologies.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    No, I am not cognizant of JoVann's. Is it worth a visit should I get into Cleveland again?
  • Options
    Hey Motie, Uff Da.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Woodsman -- I see your Uff Da, and raise you a Lutefisk.

Another clergyman in Fargo declared Lutefisk to be, "The Piece of Cod That Passeth All Understanding."

The best advice is to take the Torsk and leave the Lutefisk.

Got any Ole and Lena jokes?
  • Options
    @motie2,Yes! it is worth a visit, let me know if you do, would enjoy meeting you and smoking a pipe with you.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @pipeman83 -- I'm originally from Cleveland Hts. SWMBO is from South Euclid. NOw that our folks are gone, we have fewer reasons to go back, but next time I'm planning a Cleveland trip, I'll try to be in touch. 
  • Options
    @bonanzadriver - you were right. I got two emails confirming my membership and purchase of the Lunting and ALS stickers which will be used to add another ply to my beer mug at my local (along with some smokingpipes.com stickers.
  • Options

motie2, none that I can put out on the site.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Looks like we have some Clevelanders here....I am also from Cleveland, Ohio.  I used to go to Cousins Cigars on Chagrin then hit the one in Avon since it was closer to me at the time. However, the guy that runs it is a douche.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    Yet another Clevelander born and bread! Grew up in Seven Hills, my Dad,was an east sider. My Mom a west sider, so I grew up know both ends of town! The folks are gone now and so I seldom get to Cleveland anymore have lived on New Hampshire for 35 years!
  • Options
    That's great to hear,@Londy3, where did you live!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Born in Cleveland Heights.
  • Options
    @hiker07  yup, lunting is pretty simple and basic, just as pipe smoking should be!  It should cause you to be reflective, introspective and just enjoy "being".  I typically lunt with the dog.  She knows that when I go for my kit that it's time to head out.  As for relighting and tamping; you manage just as you would if you were at home in the wingback reading Hemingway.  Typically, when I'm out I'll bring along a Zippo or Bic to better manage wind.  Matches are too much of a hassle.  As for tamping, a Czech tool works just as well while I'm standing or sitting ;-)  I'm not much of a clencher, so that was one of the biggest obstacles for me.  Luckily I ended up purchasing a great 3/4 bent that is balanced really well for clenching and that has turned out to be my primary lunting pipe.  My advice is to get out there and enjoy the weather and the walk.  Happy lunting!
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @pipeman83, i was born and raised on the east side of town, Willoughby-Eastlake-Mentor area about 30 min east of downtown. Later i moved to the west side, Avon area for about 12 years.  I currently reside in the beautiful state of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.  Its a great place to do my porch picking, bourbon sipping and pipe smokin!  Love it here!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Londy3 -- Based on the article on the NC political atmosphere in today's NYTimes magazine, God help you all.