Home The Lounge
Options

Father the Flame

13»

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    In 1964 I walked into the Seminary for the first time and everybody was smoking a pipe.....
    That did it for me, for my first pipe life.
    I started with OTC's and wound up with Balkan Sobranie and Cope's Escudo.
  • Options
    I get to smoke my pipe often while waiting in one parking lot or another for my wife during her many doctor's appoiintments, but I've only once in the past 2 years been approached by a pedestrian, who wanted to know "What are you smoking in that?" -- upon which I just held up the codger-blend pouch I had filled my pipe from.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    edited June 2019
    At my age my list of medical conditions gets longer and longer each day. "Selective Deafness" comes and goes. Especially when some asshole comments negatively about my pipe. As long as I am outside I smoke when I want...where I want (within reason). 

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Just saw the film.  Was happy I waited.  A lot of good stuff in there, seen through van Erck's eyes. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I agree with you. Loved the cinematography, but I felt the story telling was missing something. I was hoping for a little more connection to the pipes and pipe smoking. I thought it started off great with Von Eerck telling the story about how his father got his first pipe. I thought it did jump around a little bit.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited July 2019
    @Oddjob27 - I also agree with both you and @PappyJoe. I know they had to make some hard decisions about what to cover and what not to. However, I was kind of surprised they barely even mentioned tobacco. I know that was probably by design, but you'd still think a documentary titled Father the Flame would at least do more than barely mention what 'the flame' is burning, right? I mean we don't just sit around a stare at our beautiful, artisan pipes all day... we SMOKE TOBACCO in them!

Still thought it was great, though.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Perhaps a re-editing?
  • Options
    @jfreedy - For the amount of time they spent editing the documentary together it could have been done with better transitions. I watched it a second time the other day and my impression was they must have had two or three people editing different segments and then just stuck them together. 
  • Options
    "Father the Flame" can now be rented or purchased on Amazon Video, here.
    In addition, a DVD can be ordered here.

• Options
    friarjayfriarjay Newcomer
    edited August 2019
    I watched it a few weeks back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The wait was worth it in my opinion.

Was it perfect? No.

Was it good? Definitely.
  • Options
    So I finally had the chance to rent Father the Flame from amazon.com and gave it a watch. I think I agree with a lot of the opinions on here, but ended up enjoying the documentary for what it was. I wish it talked more about pipe smoking, but if you're going for a general audience, it makes sense to focus on the portion that non-smokers can appreciate. They won't understand the nuances of an English blend, but they can see the beauty of a well carved pipe.

https://thebadgerpiper.wordpress.com/2020/01/27/film-review-father-the-flame/

• Options
    Feature on Mimmo Romeo, by the folks behind Father the Flame
    https://youtu.be/Aa5gyd0Ymrg
  • Options
    @motie2 Thanks for the post, that was fantastic.
  • Options
    @motie2 Tnx for the link. There were 3 more short Mimo videos and I watched them all. Amazing, after watching him work, that he still has all his fingers!
  • Options
    Now that was awesome. It really makes you appreciate the art in your hand. I look at my Savinellis in a completely different way now. Thank you for sharing!! 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master

Father the Flame DVD

Now available on DVD, Father the Flame is the first feature-length documentary about pipes and pipe smoking and provides a glimpse into the life and labor behind our hobby, from sourcing, curing, and cutting briar to collecting the finest pieces made. It explores the art of pipe making and what pipes can teach a modern generation about legacy and what we leave behind. Featuring interviews with renowned pipe makers, industry leaders, experts, and collectors, the film offers a contemplative and immersive look into the cultural and spiritual significance of pipes.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/books/moreinfo.cfm