Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Falcons and such

I read an article in the latest P&T mag about a young machinist who's started making metal-stemmed pipes. I vaguely recall having one as a new pipe smoker - probably not a Falcon, but an inexpensive variation on that theme. I'm intrigued enough to consider buying one.
What's the pros and cons on these? I know there are some rabid fans. I wouldn't mind hearing from some haters, too. 

Comments

• Options
    JoeHandymanJoeHandyman Newcomer
    edited July 2016
    I found a set at a flea market. It came with a custom pouch with loops for four bowls, two loops for stems, a large strap for a tobacco pouch and a pocket for a tamp. It contained one straight silver stem and four bowls. I recently bought a bent brown stem and a new bowl which I'm breaking in by moistening the inside of the bowl and smoking gradually increasing amounts. Started with a half bowl the first time and smoked a little more than that this morning.
    I am a fast puffer so the bowl gets too hot to hold, but so do many of my pipes. I slide a short tube of flat thin plastic (shrink wrap for insulating wire connections) down the stem to the bowl. When the bowl gets too hot I hold the plastic. But the smoke itself isn't hot. The metal stem is supposed to cool it down before it reaches your mouth.
    I keep the pouch in my birdwatching backpack. I try to birdwatch and smoke at least twice a day as weather permits. With the Falcons I get a good rotation of bowls without taking up a lot of space, which is its main advantage to me, and now I have two stems to rotate also. Although, since the stems are metal, they don't need rest between smokes. The metal bowl part of the stem collects the moisture so it never reaches your mouth. But it should be wiped out with a pipe cleaner after every smoke for the best results. I also cut about an inch off the pipe cleaner and make it into a half circle which I put into the metal bowl to absorb moisture. I always dump it out after a smoke before cleaning the metal bowl. You can get filters made for the Falcons, but I just make my own.
    I also carry four Cobbit pipes in the backpack, so it's not like I absolutely need the Falcons for rotation. I guess I just enjoy the novelty of changing the bowls out. If you are beginning a collection, you may want to consider that one stem and several interchangeable bowls, made of quality briar, are less expensive than buying the same number of full pipes.
    It's also handy to just grab the pouch when leaving for a trip, knowing everything I need for several days' smoking is covered. If I knew how, I'd post a picture of the pouch and pipes but that's a little beyond me on this iPad.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comment. :)
  • Options
    I have several Falcon pipes and really enjoy them!  They smoke cool and are easy to maintain.  I think all pipe smokers should have at least one in their rotation...
  • Options
    They need at least one stem and two bowls. Wouldn't want anyone to miss the experience of changing bowls.
  • Options
    I've got an offer from someone on another site of a free estate. We'll see how that turns out.
  • Options
    I always look for Falcons at flea markets and estate sales. Haven't had any luck finding a good buy since getting that first set. I rarely see any and the few times I have they were over priced.

Since my bowls get too hot to hold because I puff too fast and can't break the habit, I'm going to try some burley in them because I've found out it burns slower and cooler. I'm also going to try some flake type cuts for the same reason.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I've always wanted to get a falcon just to play around with and for the fact traveling seems like it would be easier by pack a stem or two and a few bowls versus trying to pack a few pipes that you don't want to break.  Does anyone have a preference of bowls, as far as briar, meerschaum lined, or solid meerschsaum?
  • Options
    @drac2485, I only have briar Falcon bowls. I do have meerschaum pipes that I enjoy, especially a Calabash that my wife gave me for Christmas, but haven't noticed any difference in they way they smoke compared to briar. I'm a little concerned that the solid meerschaum bowls' threads might be more delicate than briar so I'd probably choose the lined. But my concern may be unfounded. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • Options
    I've never owned or smoked one, sorry!
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @joehandyman @pipeprofessor  Thanks I guess I'll have to experiment...  that will be hard to get me to do.... *twist my arm*... ok ok I give... I've been looking for a while so I guess I know what my next purchases will be
  • Options
    I will say that between the straight and bent stem, I prefer the straight. I have bents that I like but, for some reason, not the Falcon's. Maybe the angle is off for me. I just bought the brown bent stem a couple weeks ago and now I'm wishing I'd got the straight. Actually, now that I think about it, I wish I'd just got another bowl and no stem. One straight silver stem is enough. But I had that extra loop in the pouch for a stem, so I just had to fill it. I'm a little OCD.
  • Options
    @drac2485 I'm not quite there yet, but if you have a good expereince with a Falcon, let me know and then my arm may be twisted as well!
  • Options
    I now have 2. refurbished estates from one of the fellas on another forum. Just lit one up with some Lane RR. Smoked the other yesterday. Current thought is - they're OK, and an interesting experience. I'm not rushing out to buy more.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    Falcons are the best I could never smoke Prince Albert, in a briar without burning my tongue. Never a problem in a Falcon!!!
  • Options
    I have an almost new brown bent stem I'd like to trade for a brown straight stem or bowl. Email if you're interested.
  • Options
    Email is joetynes@icloud.com.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I have a Falcon I purchased from Tobaccopipes.com also a couple estate Viking pipes made by Dr. Grabow back in the day and a recently purchased Radiator pipe purchased from Hektor Wiebe (http://www.hwiebe.com/) at the 2016 CPCC. I love all of them they are great pipes and smoke wonderfully. I like the Radiator pipe the best, once I am finished with a bowl I can remove the bowl and wash out the stem and frame then run a pipe cleaner through it and let it dry, "Just like it was new". I can't say I like them better than a briar or clay or cob or meerschaum but I can say that I am pleased to have them in my collection because it they give a different smoking experience depending on what tobacco you are enjoying. I would recommend getting one just to try and they make great additions to a collection as well.
  • Options
    I've been enjoying mine.
  • Options
    I confess that the first time I saw a Falcon pipe I was a bit turned off by the metal stem. Yet the more I take a look at them, I think I understand the appeal. I might have to pick one up one of these years.
  • Options
    Although my experience with Lane RR was not memorable, I have enjoyed them for other blends.
  • Options
    So I picked up a straight falcon pipe with a two bowls (bulldog and apple) from Tobaccopipes.com for IPSD last week, and I've been breaking them in. So far, it's been an interesting experience, though they definitely require more cleaning after a smoke than other pipes. I'm happy with the falcon so far, though I don't think they'll replace my briars anytime soon.
  • Options
    I agree that Falcons are... shall we say -- "offbeat," but they pale before the shock of seeing someone smoking a Purisme. 

Purisme Pipe

A slightly more traditional, but still weird, White Dot Purisme by Vauen:

Purisme trad

• Options
    Those interested in metal tobacco pipe systems should visit http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/
  • Options
    @motie2 Those are definitely off the beaten path, even for a metal pipe. Never seen pipes quite like that before.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe - the article was probably about the Kirsten pipes made in Seattle. They were invented by an engineer who worked at Boeing. They are still being made and sold today.
  • Options
    Funny thing. The wife and I took a road trip to Beaux Bridge, LA on Saturday to walk around the antique shops. The wife stops and looks in one display case and calls me over. She had spotted a "metal" pipe. Turns out it was a Kirsten and they were asking $45 for it. I pull it apart and look at it while saying I'm going to have to buy new O-rings and maybe even a stem. The owner says she can drop the price some. I offered $30 and now have a Kirsten.
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    Can the metal make the pipe hotter, ruining the tobacco?
  • Options
    I had one quite a while back before I learned the ins and outs of proper pipe smoking techniques, so the metal portion of the pipe got rather hot. And since I was also a wet smoker that bottom cup filled with moisture rapidly. It's definitely a pipe that 'needs' to be cleaned and the moisture removed after each smoke or you can get a terrible aftertaste in the pipe, as well as a stench you wouldn't believe. Something about the reaction of the doddle and the metal ... which unlike briar which absorbs most of the moisture - the metal bottom cup does not. So it sits there and congeals into a smelly tarlike substance. 
  • Options
    @deadpool57 - One of the differences between a Falcon and a Kirsten is how the bowl attaches. On the Falcons, the bowl screws into the metal cup part. On the Kirsten, a small screw goes into the bowl and it screws on top of the metal body. I've been told a Kirsten smokes cooler than a Falcon because of this.

I've also been told that you can remove the front cap and swap the tubing out with a pipe filter after smoking. 
    Here's a picture of the one I'm working on cleaning. Almost done with the stem because now it's mostly black instead of grayish orange.

Kirsten_pipe
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    @Pappyjoe - So I'm guessing you can interchange the bowls to use different tobaccos in separate bowls? Giving it a good cleaning should take away the extra side tastes?