Home General
Options

What are you Drinking while smoking your pipe today?

Comments

• Options
    @Woodsman, to me cold and rain equals Hot Toddy or some other warm drink with or without alcohol.   lol
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @Woodsman -- BTW, thanks for the help.
  • Options
    Believe it or not today I pulled out a bottle of Absinthe I've had around for quite some time and had a shot glass of the stuff. Did the flaming sugar cube ... the whole bit. Got it as a birthday present from my youngest son several years ago and have been tapping into it ever so slightly. I expressed interest in it after watching the Johnny Depp Jack The Ripper movie "From Hell". Didn't have any psychic visions or hallucinations from the Wormwood but it can take your breath away. Tastes a bit like Ouzo.  
  • Options
    Went to make a "real" margarita but found I was out of tequila yesterday so I went shopping. Bought a bottle of Espolon Bourbon Barrel Aged Anejo and some limes.
    My recipe is simple: 2 oz. Tequila, 1 oz. Patron Orange Liqueur, 1/2 oz. Lime Juice. Fill my shaker about 1/2 full with ice cubes, add ingredients and shake. Pour into glass including ice cubes. Sprinkle sea salt over the top. 

The Espolon is not a bad tequila for making drinks. Not quite as smooth as the usual sipping tequila I buy but it is drinkable.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- The real European wormwood stuff or the American denatured product?
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Of course, I meant "wine." Drinking twine would be stupid
  • Options
    @motie2 My kid was out of the country when he picked it up for me so I can't say for sure. But I believe I've seen the same stuff at a local Liquor Store. Since I didn't hallucinate naked women on unicorns chased by Centaurs and Velociraptors I have to assume it was the denatured American stuff. Or else I didn't drink enough.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii I haven;t had that in years, need to find me a bottle or two!  I have had both and neither one did anything for me and trust me I had enough to knock most men and women out. 
    I like the taste of it and the sugar cube on a spoon is just so cool.  You have to use a real silver spoon so they say.  Poor the drink over the cube on the spoon and light it up.  dump cube in drink and enjoy.  Guess now that I am diabetic I should watch that now, sugar....alcohol.....yep great mix!  lol
  • Options
    OK today I had Hard Root Beer and Hard Apple Cider, it was cold out so I stood over the smoker while smoking some fresh Hog Bacon.....still got cold even with heat off of that and the alcohol I was drinking.  I hate the cold if you haven't figured that out yet.....lol  No pipe today, hoping to light up my pipes tomorrow!
  • Options
    Another hot drink day and most likely no pipe smoking, have a little sinus back up and throat is itchy. 
    Going to get to moving around and see if that helps but it is only going to get up to 60 today maybe 62 but I doubt it and with me possibly catching a cold I will not be going outside.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Cold. Wet. Again. Good day for drinkin'...... if only drinkin'.
  • Options
    Sunny out today but still cold, plus I have cold chills even though it is 72.5 at my desk.....Hum? Can't be right I feel cold!
  • Options
    Lots of liquids and no smoking.
  • Options
    You'd think with all of the Mexican beer consumed Friday that I'd be sippin Scotch or Bourbon tonight with my briars...

But, I'm quite enjoyin Corona this evening.  Straight from the bottle.

I know, I know, pretty low brow for this crowd, but what can I say?
  • Options
    Coffee with a little B&B to warm up before lighting up.
  • Options
    Corona! The most popular Mexican beer that only tourist drink in Mexico.The top 10 beers in Mexico according to one source are:

1. Pacifico.
    2. Modelo Especial
    3. Victoria
    4. Barallitos
    5 Dos XX Lager
    6. Bohemia Lager
    7 Tecate
    8 Carta Blanca
    9 Corona
    10. Sol

The only "light" beer on the list is the Victoria which is 4% alcohol. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    In Puerto Rico, they have an excellent light beer: Medalla Light, not to be confused with Modelo. It's the best light beer I've ever tasted, but it's not available for export to the mainland. So, I stick with Weihenstephaner, but it's a long way from a light beer....

• Options
    Raining but they say it might hit 74 today, if it does I will be out on the front porch drinking and smoking.   Sinus or cold is going away so should be OK to enjoy a little smoke. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I know, Corona is really quite the marketing phenom.

Back in the very early 80's, while stationed in San Diego, we used to buy this by the 6 pack non base for less than $2.  About the same price as keystone or stroh's was.

Anyway, have been drinkin that skunk water ever since.

That being said, I do have a few others that I actually do prefer.

1.  Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve.  Got hooked on it while living in Napa.

2.  Duval.   A very crisp and bright Belgian beer

3.  Fosters, in a bottle, oil can or draft, any way I can get it.  :)
  • Options
    Weinhard's is an old brand that used to be brewed in Portland, Oregon. From what I can tell, only the Private Reserve and the Weinhard soft drinks are still being made.

I was stationed in Washington State from 1972-78. The beers of choice for most in that area was Olympia and Heidelberg. Olympia was brewed in Olympia, Washington and Heidelberg in Seattle. What I still believe was the best dark beer ever brewed in the U.S. was Heidelberg Alt which was brewed using dark roasted malt. I think they roasted the malt until about 10 seconds before it became burnt. Unfortunately the mid to late 70s saw a lot of regional breweries get acquired by other companies and then shut down. 

Stroh's was a lot better than Corona. Do they even make Stroh's anymore? I drank a lot of it when I was in the New Jersey area in the early 80s.

Advertising and marketing can make a brand. In the 1960s Wild Turkey was considered to be cheap, rot gut whiskey. In the early 1970s the distillery spent over a million dollars on advertising and marketing and it became a "premium" whiskey. Same recipe, same bottle, same aging but all of a sudden it was considered on par with Jack Daniels.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I'd like to think that the late, great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson had some part in the popularization of Wild Turkey in the Seventies and Eighties.
  • Options
    I like Jack and Turkey, I like Makers and Royal but Pappy's and Woodford Reserve are my favorites.

• Options
    Anyone drink Pumpkin Beer during the fall?  My sister bought some and hated it so she gave it to me, I can't stand it, Pumpkin and Beer just don't mix for me!  Anyway going to have a pig roast this weekend so going to stick it in the ice tub and hope it all goes away!  
    Now on to what I will be drinking today!  Hard Root beer and maybe a Miller Lite. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Yuck. The same goes for the recent market entry of "Pizza Beer."
  • Options
    @wolf41035 - I would drink the Pumpkin Beer before I drank the Miller Lite. The Hard Root Beer may be good depending on the brand, but the ones I've tried have all been too sweet. I wonder when the FDA is going to crack down on alcoholic beverages marketed to kids with flavors like Hard Root Beer, Hard Orange Soda, etc.
  • Options

I was at a party out in Amish Country in August, it was hot and I pounded down 2 Daisy Cutter 18 oz.

Ales and felt it quickly. I was still thirsty so I grabbed a Root Beer from the soda cooler, then had another and got really feeling it. I got another root beer and read the label. "Not Your Father's Root Beer",40 oz. of beer in an hour.   I stayed there for 5 hours drinking coffee until I felt OK to  drive carefully home.  

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Bitter tears, because of the weather.....
  • Options
    Hot Coffee, using the cup to warm the right hand as I  use the pipe to warm the left. Cold rain, wind and low temperatures, not a good mix.
  • Options
    coffee this morning. For us, it's a combination of Mother's Day with our oldest daughter's birthday dinner so I'll be grilling and making frozen Pina Coladas the old fashion way without a mix - Rum, pineapple juice, Cream of Coconut and Vanilla Ice Cream. I'll be drinking either my good sipping Rum or Jameson's Irish Whisky and smoking Molto Dolce.