Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish

2»

Comments

• Options
    @motie2 need more information on what to click and so on, couldn't find the want to find your perfect blend section?? I guess step by step what to click once you get past the age section and onto the page.
  • Options
    Might be because I am on phone, I will look tomorrow on my PC.
  • Options
    @Wolf41035, you wrote: <<need more information on what to click and so on, couldn't find the want to find your perfect blend section?? I guess step by step what to click once you get past the age section and onto the page.>>

2) Enter age data, then click on ENTER SITE

3) Click on PIPE TOBACCO, next to the picture of two pipes and look around

OR

4) Find “WANT TO FIND YOUR PERFECT BLEND?” in the lower left corner of the graphic in the middle of the screen. It's next to what looks like a small pinch of tobaccoWhen you've found it, click on “Start now!”

5) Answer all the questions as honestly as possible.
  • Options
    Does cellaring an aromatic actually work? As in, does the added flavor stay and does the tobacco's natural flavors enhance? My understanding is that lower quality tobaccos are used for aromatics, so cellaring them for enhanced tobacco flavor doesn't make sense. And the aromatic flavors will degrade over time.
  • Options
    @Wolf41035 -- Molto Dolce is Sutliff's Private Stock (tinned) flagship brand. You're either gonna love it or hate it. It's kind of the anti-Latakia anti-Perique, almost anti-tobacco blend.
  • Options
    @motie2 Took the Sutliff taste test and came up with Molto Dolce. Seem to be right on the money with me.
  • Options
    motie

After a wasted early morning driving about an hour and a half round trip to a lacrosse match, one which no one told me was cancelled, I got home with the intent to try your Barbados Plantation. This is a good blend, and of course I need to smoke this a few more times before I can have a fair opinion. I smoked this immediately after opening the new tin and filled a MM Mark Twain Corn Cob. The tobacco was semi damp but not too bad (I thought it would be worse due to reviews I had read) and packed very nicely. The tin aroma was very nice, very sweet vanilla and I can pick up the rum note as well. I also can detect a  nice tobacco background.

I used the routine method of filling, light tamping, and char lighting, retamped, and then the one real light. Initial smoke was abundant but I could not pickup any distinguishing flavors yet. Perhaps 1/4 of the bowl depth I picked up nice sweet notes that reminded me of the Vanilla Custard blend. Although unlike the VC blend, there were no salty notes. As the bowl continued the flavor started coming out and I was picking up semi sweet notes and an liquor note although I could not necessarily taste rum per se.

The rest of the bowl was very good, and lasted almost an hour. I was very very gentle on the draw, in fact I was almost falling asleep listening to the radio and just relaxing. This bowl and blend combo was very enjoyable and I was amazed at the lack of maintenance required......it just kept going and going. The damp condition out of a newly opened tin made me anticipate otherwise.

The takeaway is, after only one bowl, I am impressed. Once again your recommendation has been spot on, I will need to pay more attention to the Sutliff blends as you are 2 for 2 on your heads up to me.

I will certainly try a few more BP smokes under different conditions (today cold and damp) and see where this takes me relative to an opinion, but it looks good. I will also say it will take some doing to eclipse that Vanilla Custard (and the Creme Brulee) both of which I REALLY enjoy.

Thanks again for the great recommendations and keep them coming......"smoke 'em if you got 'em".

• Options
    @pwkarch -- Thank you. It my pleasure to serve!!!!
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Regarding Creme Brulee: it appears to be a bulk version of Sutliff's flagship aromatic, Molto Dolce. I find the MD to be slightly superior. @ghostsofpompeii thinks they are the same. In any event, the biggest difference is price, with the MD being more expensive and coming in what passes for a tin.
  • Options
    I got bored and went looking for a discussion of what's the best VBC tobacco (Vanilla Black Cavendish)

• Options
    @motie2 Pretty sad, not a single mention of Sutliff Vanilla Custard. I've tried nearly all the blends they pick except for the W.O. Larsen which is something I've been wanting to try ... and I still think Vanilla Custard is the best smell and tasting vanilla blend.
  • Options
    Altadis Bllack Cavendish had a light Vanilla flavor to it, I used it as the base tobacco of my Old King Cole replacement.  Of course Altadis is no more, I ordered the Sutliff replacement which wasn't as good.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- You'll get no argument from me. All the advice you've doled out, and especially about various Sutliff blends, has been right on target. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ghost

I agree....in fact I just Friday I brought in 2 more pounds of the Vanilla Custard from the UPS delivery.......I now have three pounds sitting in Mason jars resting for, well, whenever, and maybe 6 ounces or so to smoke as I feel like it, This IS some really good tobacco and I am enjoying every bowl I smoke. Great taste, great aroma, and so far I have not found anything to dislike about it except I don't have enough of it yet.

I also like the Creme Brulee blend, but it is in second place behind Vanilla Custard at this point. Both blends go very well with a mixture of Carter Hall (50/50).....when I want a slightly different taste (vanilla, nuts, and a little "cocoa").