Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish

Does anyone know if there is an issue with Lane Limited Vanilla Black Cavendish? I wanted to buy another pound to add to my "cellar". I went online this morning to all the usual sources and NO ONE has it. I even dug deeper into sources that were previously unknown to me. The only supplier that even mentions it is P&C, and they simply list it as 'back ordered".

I really like this blend smoked by itself or blended with several other tobaccos that I have tried. I only hope this is a supply and demand issue and not the end of a blend that I enjoy. I would appreciate it if any of you could shed some light on this matter.

Comments

• Options
    A good matching blend might well be McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish.
  • Options
    Here's what I could find of the Lane Vanilla Aromatics:

Lane Limited - Black and Brown

Lane Limited - Burley and Black

Lane Limited - Captain Black Copper

Lane Limited - Captain Black Regular (white)

Lane Limited - Captain Black Round Taste

Lane Limited - Hoyo de Monterrey

Lane Limited - Macanudo

Lane Limited - Royal

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 13.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #333333; -webkit-text-stroke: #333333}
    p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 13.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #333333; -webkit-text-stroke: #333333; min-height: 16.0px}
    p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 16.0px; font: 13.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #666666; -webkit-text-stroke: #666666}
    span.s1 {font-kerning: none}
    span.s2 {font-kerning: none; color: #666666; -webkit-text-stroke: 0px #666666}
    table.t1 {background-color: #ffffff; margin: 19.5px 0.0px 19.5px 0.0px}
    td.td1 {width: 265.5px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 1.0px 19.5px 1.0px 1.0px}
    td.td2 {width: 54.7px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 1.0px 19.5px 1.0px 1.0px}
    td.td3 {width: 110.2px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 1.0px 19.5px 1.0px 1.0px}
    td.td4 {width: 74.2px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 1.0px 19.5px 1.0px 1.0px}
    td.td5 {width: 135.5px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 1.0px 19.5px 1.0px 1.0px}
    td.td6 {width: 260.0px; max-width: 260.0px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 5.0px 26.0px 5.0px 0.0px}
    td.td7 {width: 49.2px; max-width: 260.0px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 5.0px 26.0px 5.0px 0.0px}
    td.td8 {width: 104.7px; max-width: 260.0px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 5.0px 26.0px 5.0px 0.0px}
    td.td9 {width: 68.8px; max-width: 130.0px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 5.0px 26.0px 5.0px 0.0px}
    td.td10 {width: 130.0px; max-width: 130.0px; margin: 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px 0.5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 0.0px 0.0px 1.0px 0.0px; border-color: transparent transparent #dddddd transparent; padding: 5.0px 26.0px 5.0px 0.0px}
  • Options
    I have no idea what all that yada yada yada stuff represents......
  • Options
    Thanks motie2....they now have it listed as back ordered. Smoking Pipes and Cup O' Joes do not list it at all, nor do other sites that I checked.
  • Options
    pwkarch -- Another suggestion: Lane Limited's BCA Black Cavendish tobacco, with added vanilla flavor.
  • Options
    Oh...I am all over BCA, I have several pounds jarred....thanks
  • Options
    @pwkarch It's this is more about a great tasting vanilla and less about the specific blend you're seeking out I'd really recommend the Sutliff Vanilla Custard. It is the best vanilla flavored tobacco blend I've had - and I've tried a ton of vanilla aromatics over the years. It has a fantastic pouch and room note as well as taste the way it smells without tongue bite.
  • Options
    Thanks Ghost.....I just ordered a couple ozs to take for a test drive.
  • Options
    Ghost
    You are the man. I received 4 oz. of your recommended Sutliff Vanilla Custard today from Smoking Pipes. All I can say is WOW. I had a bowl this evening in conditions that were not the best, breezy after a cold front passage and it liked to knock my socks off. That is one delicious pipe tobacco of which I need to order more. It was fairly wet out of the bag and packed nicely. There is an overwhelming aroma from the bag that made me want to eat it. I smoked it in a MM CC Twain Bent, and as damp as it was I smoked almost a one hour bowl on one light after the char light. I have to say I love this blend......and just several weeks ago I fell in love with their Creme Brulee. Both of these blends need to be "sipped" and the retro hale is wonderful.

I got a very strong taste and aroma of hot buttered popcorn (which I love) as soon as the fire hit the tobacco, with a lesser background of vanilla. The vanilla was not the main taste and aroma to me, but I certainly LOVED the tobacco non the less. I would rename this "Hot Buttered Popcorn". There was not a bite in the bowl and as I said, the conditions were not ideal on my screen porch with a breeze. The "debriefing" as it were was little to no dottle. I will try this in a briar in the next few days and see how it compares.

I have several other Sutliff flavors jarred, and I now have a great interest in trying them again with a broader mind. So thank you for your response above and the recommendation. If I continue to like this in various pipes I will certainly add a generous amount to my "cellar".

Thank again............ 
  • Options

@pwkarch Glad you liked it, Vanilla Custard is one of my favorite blends. And it's a big part in one of the few experimental blends I created that actually worked to perfection. I gave the blend the name Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend in reference to Sherlock Holmes' landlady Mrs. Hudson. I figured since Holmes probably smoked a strong English blend naming it after him would be inappropriate. So I figured it might be an aroma which would eventually find it's way to Holmes' study while Mrs. Hudson was downstairs baking.

The blend consists of four Sutliff blends mixed as follows: three parts Sutliff Vanilla Custard, two parts Chocolate Mousse, one part Crème Brulee, and a smattering (about a pinch or two) of Irish Cream. I'm pretty sure you could pass on the Irish Cream but I have a very old 2oz. pouch of it that's pretty dried out ... so instead of rehydrating it I keep it dry and use it for mixing in a small amount with moist blends. And since the other three blends are fairly moist it works perfectly. But as you've already discovered, Vanilla Custard is perfect just the way it is without any additional tinkering.    

• Options
    @motie2 - I have smoked Lane Limited - Captain Black Copper and found it to be a very pleasant smoke with a great room note.  I first tried a 1.5-oz pouch and liked it so much that I purchased two 12-oz cans. The only thing about this tobacco is it is very moist so I had to let it dry out a little before smoking it.  But, it was sure worth the wait.  I have this in my rotation of aromatics.
  • Options
    Thanks Charles.....the pouches typically have PG added as a deterrent to drying out for long term "shelf life" in the stores. I assume the "tubs" probably do not. I actually have some copper jarred (from a pouch) but I enjoy the bulk tobaccos over the pouches with a few exceptions. Our "sitemate" ghostsofpompeii turned me onto Sutliff Vanilla Custard which is just awesome, you might want to try that as well. P&C lists Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish as "back ordered" so I added it to one of my wishlists so I can add some more to my cellaring efforts. I think I now have enough of all my favorite blends to last until my youngest Grandson is too old to smoke. I am obviously bitten by Tobacco Acquisition Disorder. Smoke 'em if you gottem".

• Options
    Today we're mixing Vanilla Custard and Barbados Plantation to see what happens......
  • Options
    Motie.....let me know how that works out. I actually have the Barbados Plantation on my shopping list. And as you saw I am really in favor of the Vanilla Custard (and the Creme Brulee). Your blend should be good with a wonderful sweet butter note with the VC, and what I have read as a very profound Barbados Rum......sounds good.
  • Options
    pwkarch and @ghostsofpompeii -- OK, someone needs to explain this to me: the same pipe is involved, an apple shaped EA Carey. 

I smoked a bowl of Barbados Plantation two days ago. Pipe cleaner-ed the pipe when I was done. As usual with Barbados Plantation, a great smoke. 

Yesterday I tried the Vanilla Custard for the first time. Ghost was right; it's a winner. Ran a pipe cleaner through when I was done. 

Today, I mixed the Vanilla Custard with the Barbados Plantation, 50/50. Neither tobacco is particularly wet. Both have smoked well, individually. Together? A steamy (wet) smoke that left the kind of goopy mess that Molto Dolce critics complain about (and which I've never encountered myself in smoking Molto Dolce straight or mixed.) 

BTW, before I discovered Barbados Plantation, my preferred blend was Molto Dolce mixed 50/50 with Maple Street. What the heck happened when combining Vanilla Custard and Barbados Plantation? I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
  • Options
    @motie2 Maybe it taste so good you started drooling. Just kidding. I don't have problems with Vanilla Custard by itself or mixed with other blends. But I know it can happen. I heard people talk about a moisture issue with Molto Dolce - tried it - had no problem one day, than on another I did experience some moisture in the bottom of the bowl. Being that I'm an aromatic smoker I'm accustom to the occasional wet smoke so I always have a pipe cleaner around when I hear some gurgling. I'd rather have a great tasting smoke requiring an occasional swab of a pipe cleaner to sop up the moisture than a hot dry smoke that leaves my mouth feeling as though I'd been sucking on a hot cotton ball. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Right. Thanks. And I agree with your analysis. It's just that this happened kind of suddenly, as I have not had much of this kind of problem with my Sutliff sweeties in the past. It's nice to have some one to consult (and to bitch to!).
  • Options
    Motie

As far as smoking experiences being totally different with what we individually perceive as like conditions, I think we all overlook certain issues. Ambient conditions such as temperature, humidity, air movement, our individual perceptions altered by something we ate or drank recently, and finally our mindset alter our experience.

I DO NOT think about these things WHILE I am enjoying my pipe as this might be considered over thinking and not enjoying the moment. I try to not overthink these issues after the smoke either, but just blame any issues I have that do not immediately raise their ugly heads to one of these "subtle" (or perhaps not so subtle) parameters.

I guess the takeaway is much like a very good beverage, often the same culprits will present themselves to us in varying impacts, and we should chalk them up to experience all the while looking forward to the next. Of course there are certain issues that present themselves almost immediately that produce one of those "aha moments", and we learn from them so as not to be a repeat offender.

I certainly agree with you and share your curiosity as to the cause of these varying smoking experiences. These are just theories of course, perhaps just excuses but they get me by.

Last night I smoked a new blend (to me), Carter Hall and Lane Dark Red 50/50. I want to declare Nirvana. Coming home from a baseball game in my PU truck at dusk, music playing, I was overwhelmed by this combination. I got home and I didn't want to let it burn out. Give it a try, the two tobaccos compliment each other very well, kind of a Nutty Cherry flavor. I anticipate taking this blend for at least 2 more test drives today.

"Smoke 'em if you got em"
  • Options
    Back in the day I considered Carter Hall to be amongst the least desirable of the OTC pouches. But I've taken note of your experience with it and I will make an attempt to try your combination sometime. Thank you.
  • Options
    I actually enjoy Carter Hall when I'm looking for so a nice smooth smoke but nothing too sweet. I'm known for having something of a sweet tooth when it comes to my aromatics, but sometimes - just like when you're snacking - you require something a little different or salty like a potato chip or pretzel instead of a sweet cookie or piece of pie. And it's in those moments when I reach for something like Carter Hall, Match version of Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, or Velvet.  
  • Options
    Amongst old time OTC pouches, I enjoyed John Rolfe and Brindley's..... but then I discovered English blends and VaPers, and that was that. These days, after a four decade hiatus, I've come back to pipes to discover I don't really like the taste of tobacco. Hence, I'm all over the Sutliff sweet-stuff. That is, until Balkan Sobranie is widely available [as if]. That I would love to have again. Yes, I know that's a contradiction, but I remember smoking Sobranie to be like sipping sweet cream.
  • Options
    Ghost
    I LOVE Carter Hall. And the fact is I just smoked it for the first time several months ago. Same for H&H. I always liked PA but was brought up on aros such as CB, Cherry Blend, Amphora, and other tobaccos in that "class". I am going back almost 45 or so years ago when we smoked for "the Ladies". Well, I have had the best lady in the world for over 42 years now so I can smoke for me (outside however). I find the Carter Hall to be a very consistent smoke and it makes for a very pleasant bowl time after time. I love the nutty notes that I find, and occasionally I will pick up the cocoa note on which others have commented.

I love just CH in a CC or a briar, it is a no nonsense wonderful smoke. I am not sure if I am now trying to dial down some of my aros, or sweeten and punch up a burley such as CH.....I guess it does not matter as either gets me to the same place. I suppose the substitution of the CH by either HH or PA would be similar but as I say I like the nutty and sometimes cocoa notes of the CH. To me at least the CH tastes more complex and multi dimensional than HH or PA.

I have put CH together with Palladin Black Cherry and the Dark Red several times  to success. I tried CH with the Sutliff Vanilla Custard only once so far to a lesser experience but I always try to give every purchase and my own blends at least two or three tries before I pass final judgement.

So Carter Hall is a regular go to for me at this time to either smoke by its' lonesome in any CC or briar pipe, or to experiment with other tobaccos to see what I can come up with in terms of new tastes. Just today we took a trip approximately forty or so miles from home, and on the way back stopped at a tobacco store to which I have never been. Sure enough, they had a fourteen ounce container whispering to me, to which I replied "sorry, I can get you at least five dollars less online". And since I am paying the freight anyway, I can add some neat little additions like several ounces of Moties' favorite: Barbados Plantation, and a few others I have my eye on.

This is a fun hobby (or obsession?).
  • Options
    Warmed up this afternoon. Went back outside to enjoy a bowl of Barbados Plantation in my Carey setter. I am really taken with this rum flavored blend. I'll go back to messing with Vanilla Custard and Creme Brulee and the Molto Dolce/Maple Street blend tomorrow, weather willing. I also expect to let @ghostsofpompeii know if I agree that Creme Brulee and Molto Dolce are the same.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- finally had a nice Vanilla Custard/Barbados Plantation smoke. Dunno what happened last time  (perhaps my Egg McMuffin needed re-aligning) but this time the combination was pleasurable. Thank you.

re-align my Egg McMuffin copy
  • Options
    Motie
    Good to know, I have a tin of the Barbados Plantation on a UPS truck somewhere........

• Options
    @pwkarch -- In any event I endorse Sutliff Vanilla Custard for anyone who enjoys vanilla flavored pipe tobacco. But Barbados Plantation remains my #1.
  • Options
    Motie

Well, based on your sage advice I am now over supplied with SVC, and I am the proud owner of a tin of the Barbados Plantation, both of which arrived today to my surprise. I have been a little under the weather here since Saturday, so as soon as the gremlins leave I am going to try your 1.) Barbados Plantation by its' lonesome, followed shortly thereafter with your recommended blend. Since I have no work currently (yet I continue to feed my TAD), I should have some time to enjoy them each individually and as a team.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- I'm so happy with those two blends (I've stocked up) that I'm going to wait a while before exploring Sutliff bulk further, but I remain curious about "Spiced Rum" and a couple of others.
  • Options
    @pwkarch and @Wolf41035 -- You might try <<Want to find your perfect blend?>> at http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html

(Note: you may have to pass through an age gate.)

This, below, is only a graphic. 
    Click where indicated on the webpage when you get there.
    Perfect blend
  • Options
    @motie2. Ah another link to look up tomorrow.

Thanks again.