Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Kirsten or Falcon? And why...

For all the metal pipe smokers out there. Which do you prefer - a Kirsten or a Falcon... or maybe a different brand. Both the Kirsten and the Falcon metal pipes were invented in 1936 but the Falcon didn't make it to the retail market until 1940. The Kirsten has always been made in Seattle and though the stopped production at one time, they are back in business makeing new pipes in Seattle. Falcon were produced in the U.S. until about 1968 and then moved production to England.

What's your preference and why?

Comments

• Options
    PS - I in Louisiana so my choice is the Kirsten. I won't buy anything named Falcon.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I had a passing interest in metal gadget pipes years ago and I liked the Kaywoodie/Falcon a lot more that the second chamber style like the Kirsten. I really never took to any of them so they are relegated to a tub in the davecave.  
  • Options
    Falcon International Flyer. 1970s -- http://pipepages.com/2falcon.htm

Falcon Pipes Retailer Sheets. 1960s -- http://pipepages.com/falcon.htm
  • Options
    Took my Kirsten and its 3 bowls to the pipe club meeting last night. Smoked the old briar bowl no problem but had a problem getting the tobacco in the meerschaum bowl to light. A combination of the tobacco being too moist and the wind.
  • Options

I'm going to say Kirsten but purely on the fact that I own one and I don't own a falcon.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for a decently priced Falcon so I can try both and give a more educated opinion.

• Options
    Alco and Falcon, the Humidome and stem on both is super easy to clean and both are dry smokes.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    What do y'all know about Eastman Pipes?
    414px-EastmanPipe

What do y'all know about Brigham pipes? http://www.brighampipes.com/2006 Update.htm

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 3.53.10 PM
  • Options
    I much prefer the Falcon or Alco system with the Humidome. They're incredibly easy to fully clean, They smoke to the bottom of the bowl, They're really dry smoking and the Falcons have a large choice of Bowl types including a few Meerschaums. Alco bowls also have the "4 start" threads and are the forerunner of the Falcon but their bowls aren't interchangeable.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    Want a Kirsten?
    USED KIRSTEN "F" METAL PIPE WITH ORIGINAL BOX
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KIRSTEN-F-METAL-PIPE-WITH-ORIGINAL-BOX-PIPESTUD-/391867645798
    Current bid: US $40.00

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Currently, the only metal pipe I have smoked is the Radiator by H. Weibe. http://www.hwiebe.com/store/c4/Pipes.html  Compared to the Falcon and Kirsten it seems to be closest to the Kirsten.  Unlike a Falcon there is the single, normal sized hole from the bowl to the condensation chamber.  There is a nice large condensation chamber that is surprising at how much it collects while smoking.  I have heard that Kirsten's can be tricky to smoke as they have a narrow hole from the bowl, affecting draw.
  • Options
    @drac2485 -- Have you checked out the "Radiator by Hwiebe first impressions" discussion? 

http://forum.thispipelife.com/discussion/comment/18659#Comment_18659 ??

• Options
    @PappyJoe, No Falcons? How about the F 16 "Fighting Falcon? Do you think someone from a "another" State had anything to do with that?
  • Options
    Mind. Blown.

Falcon Pipe W Billiard Bowl Block Meerschaum New Handmade W Case#567

$134.00     https://www.ebay.com/i/263824165829

Falcon Pipe W Billiard Bowl  Block Meerschaum  New Handmade W Case567

• Options
    Not bad for a $79 Pipe. 
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Prefer falcon since its priced lower and it doesn't hurt that I just won one in a show raffle.They seem lower tech as opposed to listens which works for me since I'm a borderline technophobe
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
  • Options
    SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    I have two Falcon stems and several bowls. The Falcon International stem has the look and feel of a traditional pipe. Don't know anything about the Kirsten so can't comment on that. 
  • Options
    SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    @PappyJoe, I neglected to answer the 'why' part of your question. I don't use the Falcon often but I do keep a stem and two bowls in my bag for those days spent long hours on the porch. When my other pipes need a rest the Falcon kicks in so I can kick back, keeping my lazy butt in place for a bit longer.    
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2018
    @PappyJoe -- << $79 ?? >> Check out this bargain for an unused Falcon:

FALCON A1 UNSMOKED/MINT/ NEW CONDITION ESTATE PIPE

GBP 20.00 (Approximately US $25.72)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-A1-UNSMOKED-MINT-NEW-CONDITION-ESTATE-PIPE/372407407789

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2018
    Also:
    FALCON PIPE UNIVERSAL GOLD + FILTERS NEW & BOXED       Approximately US $21.54
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-PIPE-UNIVERSAL-GOLD-FILTERS-NEW-BOXED/253822810901
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I am going to have to go with Kirsten🙂     I have not even tried the meerschaum bowl yet, it’s kinda small.
    Kirsten’s are cool and dry smoking and cool looking, easy to clean.  I have to say though, you must clean them after each smoke or at least after each smoking session.  The stems and valves get stuck...really badly...if left with gunk in the tube.  All of mine are estate pipes, and most stems and valves were very stuck when I received them.  Most have plier marks on the “valves” too (no, I did not mutilate any myself).
         Also, the people at Kirsten are very friendly and helpful.  I ordered several bowl adapters, screws and O-Rings as replacement parts...even before they started producing new pipes again recently.
  • Options
    I’m definitely a Falcon lover. Cool,smooth,dry smoke I’ve never had anything bite in a Falcon. It’s the only pipe I can smoke Prince Albert in. Super easy to clean. Completely love them. I’ve look at Kirsten’s but, seem very clunky and just to complicated. 
  • Options
    Old joke:

@Watchmaker61 -- "Do you smoke Prince Albert in the can?"

Sorry, I couldn't resist........
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    edited August 2018
    I have both a Kirsten pipe and a Falcon pipe.

I prefer the Kirsten over the Falcon if I know I have a moist tobacco. The chamber on the Kirsten keeps all moisture which has become liquid due to condensation in it's chamber without any leaks or issues at all (for me). I can also set the pipe down without it turning over due to its shape (sits better) or I can close the valve from the bowl to chamber and the liquid will be trapped without any worry of it coming out the bowl or the stem draft hole due to it's location on the intake tube. I agree with @RockyMountainBriar it is required to clean out the liquid since it can dry out and then gum up the valves and o-rings, but admittedly it is an easy clean by just running it under water and letting air dry. Switching out the bowls can be a bit tricky due to the small threads but I haven't had any issues so far. I do have to say dealing with Stacy at Kirsten has been positive and enjoyable. She is always helpful and accommodating with my requests.

I prefer the Falcon over Kirsten if I plan on having multiple bowls in one setting using 1 base or stem. I always make sure I have a low moisture tobacco though and I use the 'patented' dry rings to absorb any excess moisture under the bowl. If not then I will get the awful juice in the stem or gurgle in the pipe while smoking which I think everyone hates (and yes I do sit the tobacco out to dry before packing). The rubber ring on the bottom of the bowls can be a little tricky if they dry up since the bowl will not seal well with the base and that affects draw. I do like the thicker threads on the bowls but they are wood and they do wear over time from the metal bowl connection (I haven't had this problem yet but heard of others who have). One item I find to be a bummer is the cleaning, the dry ring I just throw away but at times getting a pipe cleaner through the draft hole and around the base can be stubborn and I have bought Falcon pipe cleaners for this but they do cost more and I have to buy more dry rings eventually. Also, the metal stem can become hot if you like to puff frequently and it does transfer heat from the bowl into the stem so cadence in puffing is recommended. Never had direct contact with the Falcon factory, I bought mine from Tobacco Pipes.

Thinking about it I do smoke my Kirsten pipes more frequently that the Falcons. :)

P.S. Do not try to remove the stem from a Falcon pipe base, they are made so it cannot be removed and IF YOU FORCEFULLY REMOVE IT, you will void any warranty from the factory and might break the tenon.

• Options
    @piperdave - One of the things I like about the Kirsten is that it is easy to disassemble for cleaning. The valve on the front just pulls off and the mouthpiece and ramrod (that's the metal tube which goes into the radiator stem) also just pulls off. At least it does on mine but it's from the 1950s. 

The ramrod has a dual purpose. 1 is to ensure that all you get is the smoke and not the moisture. 2. It makes for easy cleaning after smoking. Just take the front valve off, remove the stem and ramrod assembly. Stuff a piece of tissue into the back end of the stem and use the ramrod to push it all the way through the stem. It's sort of like how a muzzleloader is cleaned after firing.
  • Options
    As a note, most of the Kirsten’s, except the really old ones, have a turned down end on the “ramrod”, this is to clear the hole through the screw in the bottom of the bowl if needed.  I have made a few replacement ramrods and incorporated this feature into them, even if they were the old style without the turned down end.
  • Options
    @motie2 LOL !!! Glad to see you posting again, and that you still have your sense of humor!! You gotta keep laughing!!!
    @piperdave have the stems and the bases always been like that? I have one straight and one bent that I bought on eBay a few years ago and both stems remove from the metal shank.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @Watchmaker61 I am not sure if the stems have always been non-removable or not (I thought so). I do know that it is the case for at least the past couple of years 6 or 7. They do make some which have removable stems for the European market and those take a filter (I believe 6mm). From my understanding the American market pipe stems are heat fitted into the shank or base and pressed in with the tube that goes to the bowl which makes them this way. You could possibly have a refurnished or older pipe which someone has removed the stem or it wasn't pressed in?

European model for 6mm filter:
    Standard Falcon Stem and tube removed:

Photo from Reborn Pipes, Blog by Anthony Cook who has refurbished a Falcon pipe. The details in his blog explain his method of stem removal.

• Options
    @RockyMountainBriar My Kirstens are newer so I will check out the ramrod being turned down. I never knew that about the tip being used for the bowl hole. Interesting, I will look into this. I have always used a pipe cleaner through the bowl hole if needed. Thanks!