Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipecleaners?

2»

Comments

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Sometimes, what works for me is to take one half of the pipe cleaner and do a soft bend that represents about 1/2 of the actual curve of the stem. Then insert the stem so it will maneuver through the bend of the stem, then as it gets closer to the mortise, I try to twist the pipe cleaner 180 degrees to get it through and into the bowl. Works only about 1/2 the time, but might be worth a try...
  • Options
    I just pull the stem.
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar I usually pull the stem too. But I assumed he was wanting to dry out his pipe while still smoking... you know, the shank's still warm... but what do I know...🙄
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Yea, I pull the stems warm too.  When I first started smoking a pipe, an “old hand” told me that I did not have to worry about it too much if careful.  Now, since I have refurbished so many pipes, I make sure to set my tenons a bit loose, not without some friction fit when cool though, the stems do not twist or wobble. Snug would be a better word, I don’t want them to expand and crack.  I know this is suppose to be a no-no, but I can set a tenon tighter if it loosens over time.  I don’t smoke enough to have had this cause any problems so far though.  No cracked shanks either *Knock’s on wood*.  I have actually loosened some new factory tenons, a few were way to tight (in my opinion), but like you said, “What do I know?”.  I’m just a newbie pipe smoker anyway, but it works for me🙂
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar
    While I don't remove the stem while smoking, I do pull the stems after dumping the ash and wiping out the bowl and I haven't broken a stem or shank yet. On the other hand, the previous owner of the estate pipes I'm working on, was hard on his pipes.I've found several that the stems seemed almost glued in and in was hard to get the stems out. I actually think a couple of the pipes have replacement stems that weren't properly made or were from the pipes that were a close fit. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Yea, I keep my pipes very clean.  As I have said before, I don’t smoke a bunch, so it is pretty easy to keep them in top shape.  I too have refurbished some well used pipes that had less than stellar care that I was very lucky to get the stems out of without breaking something.  All of the pipes that I have restored that had the nasty tar glue were Latakia pipes.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    No difficulty removing warm stem from an EA Carey pipe; cold or warm, stem is easy to remove.
  • Options
    I recently started using the Decatur tapered.  I really like the ribs, seems to get the cleaner.  I also keep a supply of BJ Long bristled
  • Options
    @bbrown626, I use the Decaturs all the time, love them.
  • Options
    @motie2 I use them as well - but have so many bent stem pipes it makes for harder cleaning. And I have a few with such small openings in the mouthpiece that I can't get that little nub on the end to enter the stem.
  • Options
    As I have yet to try using them, dunno how effective they might be, but last year I succumbed to buying a set (a ring with 5 [some sets 10]) tiny "bottle" brushes of different diameters meant for the likes of airbrush cleaning and maintenance. They're too short to be used for the full length of the stem, but ought to serve in most pipe's shanks (except, of course, the Canadian).
    Having used such brushes in larger sizes now and then over the years, I keep remembering how the bristles spew whatever they've dredged up all over the place as they exit the mouth of the item that you're scrubbing with them. Maybe I should buy a pair of rubberized mechanic's gloves to wear when using these tiny brushes. Maybe I should wear a shop apron and go outdoors to use them. I dunno . . .
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Perhaps put newspaper on your work surface, and wash your hands afterwards..... Just sayin' .......