Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipecleaners?

White or colored? Soft or bristles? Straight or tapered? Brand name or any-old? Fresh-one-each-time or re-use? After every bowl or when needed? Leave-it-in or not?

I prefer white straight, bristles, sometimes with a little alcohol, after every bowl, and sometimes when needed in the middle of a bowl. I re-use one until it's yucky. I never leave one in. I've never cared what brand, though recently I've noticed some recent bristle brands have been really stiff and a bit uncomfortable on the fingers. On the other hand, they really clean!!!!

Comments

• Options

BJ Long 61/2" regulars for every day, I use regular and tapered bristle for heavier cleaning and a bristle brush for the real stubborn ones.

• Options
    @Woodsman -- You are correct, Sir. I should have at least mentioned bristle brushes for thorough cleanings.
  • Options
    I hate the multi-colored ones that seem to be at most convenience stores. They are usually some cheap off-brand, oftentimes too big and fluffy to fit into some of the mouthpiece openings. And when and if I can work them in it's even harder to maneuver them through to complete stem to the bowl. That's why I always add an order of pipe cleaners to my pipe tobacco orders . I prefer the tapered cleaners. The brands that seem to work the best for me are Big Ben, Bryco, Decatur, and the BJ Long Woodsman - especially the extra long pipe cleaners for Churchwardens. I keep an equal supply of both soft and bristle cleaners. And I tend to re-use them until they get pretty nasty.    
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Thanks. Excellent advice and info. I agree that the colored ones are inferior; some even leave flecks of material behind.... Thanks, too, for the brand recommendations. Lots of tobacco reviews around; not many pipe cleaner reviews.
  • Options
    I didn't mean to imply the name of the pipe cleaner was a BJ Long Woodsman - my fingers got a bit tangled up and I was agreeing with  @Woodsman about the BJ Long pipe cleaner. Although I think BJ Long Woodsman would be a great name for their churchwarden pipe cleaners.   
  • Options
    I use the white my local B&M sells.
  • Options
    Some pipes are darn near impossible to get a pipe cleaner through usually for a too small airway at the lip and/or a small radius bend in the stem, if I don't have a slim cleaner I burn an inch off one end of the cleaner and work the wire end through the lip and pull the cleaner through.
  • Options

There have been several discussions on what makes for a good smoking pipe. And under normal circumstances I'd have to say that I really haven't had a bad smoking pipe. Some are more expensive than others ... but for the most part even my cheap basket pipes are great smokers. But the simple gage I use for what is a good pipe is if I can easily work a pipe cleaner all the way through the stem to the bowl with minimal jiggering. Being somewhat of a wet smoker I tend to run a pipe cleaner through my pipe at least one or two times during the smoke. And the last thing I want to do is pull off the stem while the pipe is hot - and possibly loosen the stem - just to dab out the extra moisture. A topic on pipe cleaners may seem like a trivial subject matter but for someone like me a good pipe cleaner to have on hand when smoking is just as important as the tobacco you chose and the pipe you put it in. Which is why a sturdy, absorbent pipe cleaner can oftentimes make or break a good smoking experience. Good topic @motie2

• Options
    @GhostsofPompeii -- Thanks for the attaboy!!!!
  • Options
    BJ Long. I keep the regular for use when smoking, and the tapered for use with actual cleaning. I'll use bristle now and then, but not regularly.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018

Celebrity Invention: Kurt Vonnegut's Tobacco Pipe Cleaner

EDIT: SEE MY POST OF 3-2-18]
  • Options
    brigham white regular length cleaners, i use them while i smoke to remove gurgle and moisture.  also i use one at the end of every smoke, clean the bowl gently each time as well.  
  • Options
    I also use BJ Long 6-1/2" regulars for every day, and tapered bristle (with alcohol) for heavier cleaning.  I purchase about 4-times a year, about 10-packs at a time.  Also use them when cleaning my weapons and carry some in my range bag.
  • Options
    I probably run thru more scruffy pipe cleaners than I do fluffys, simply because it takes more scruffys to do restoration work. My favorite pipe cleaner is the one that easily slides down inside the bottom of the bowl, without disturbing the tobacco within.
  • Options
    I prefer bristly pipe cleaners, dunno why; I just do, but I'll use whatever's handy. 
  • Options
    The slimmer the pipe cleaner the better I like it. I have a lot of pipes with a smaller draw hole and bent stem which won't accommodate a thicker pipe cleaner, making it a chore to force down the stem to sop-up the excess moisture while smoking. I usually end up struggling and spilling the ashes and hot embers in my lap and burning a hole in my clothes. I want my pipe cleaner to ease on in there and do the job intended without me working harder than the pipe cleaner.  
  • Options
    wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    I use them all, and plenty of them.  I believe that it depends upon the pipe as to which works best.  After all, some have those narrow bits and some will take the wide ones.  The tapered cleaners are particularly handy...
  • Options
    I have had, over the years (and I don't think I have any of them still) the occasional pipe which the bore through the stem wouldn't even let a pipe cleaner IN, let alone through.
  • Options
    ..... and how do they smoke? Poorly, I'd think......
  • Options
    For daily use, I use the the el cheapo Decatur tapered pipe cleaners. I use one after each bowl to clean the stem and shank.  Then I bend it into a U shape and clean the bowl. For more thorough cleanings, I love the bristle pipe cleaners. Dipped in a bit of Southern Comfort, of course. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I also primarily use cheapos. I prefer no taper and no bristles. The only time i use bristles is when deep cleaning an estate pipe. Don’t really use bristles on pipes I smoke because if you use a cleaner each time you smoke it the pipe never really gets that dirty. At least that’s been my experience. 
  • Options
    The Vonnegut Story referred to, above; Here, in full.

Celebrity Invention: Kurt Vonnegut's Tobacco Pipe Cleaner
    REBECCA GREENFIELD  AUG 27, 2010   

Inventor: Kurt Vonnegut, Sr.

Known For: Most notably: He's Kurt Vonnegut Jr.'s dad. But besides fathering one of the most influential science fiction authors of the 20th century, Kurt Sr. had quite the little business of his own. In the early 20th century Vonnegut inherited his father's successful architecture firm, and became a big-deal architecture dude of his day in Indiana. He even built some famous buildings, including Indianapolis's Das Deutsche Haus, which stands today as the symbol of the region's German American heritage. Unfortunately, once the depression came, commissions stopped, leaving Vonnegut broke and bored. As he encouraged Kurt Jr. to pursue a more lucrative and practical career -- sending his son to Cornell to study chemistry -- he smoked his tobacco pipe and twiddled his sooty thumbs.

Then, it hit him. He had really dirty digits. So while his son was off learning science, fighting in WWII, and writing ad copy for General Electric, Vonnegut got back into designing.

Invented Apparatus: "Tobacco Pipe"

While the patent title may lead you to believe that Kurt Vonnegut invented the tobacco pipe, he didn't. He just made it more awesome by adding a nifty little "tubular member", which allowed a pipe cleaner to move through the pipe, making cleaning one's tobacco pipe easier and neater.
    To this end the invention provides a bowl and stem unit preferably integrally formed and having a tubular member slidably mounted therein and carrying a bit at one end.

Rationale Behind Invention:

All patent application filers need to demonstrate why their new invention is novel and worthwhile. Why did Vonnegut take the time to modify this classic design? 

From the foregoing specification it will be apparent that the invention provides a pipe which can be readily cleaned with a maximum of digital cleanliness. In many cases the use of a cleaner is not necessary

Ah, yes, a maximum of digital cleanliness. [Editor's note: "a maximum" should be the collective noun for nerds. Try it out: "a maximum of nerds." It feels good, right?]

Also, let's be honest, without any buildings to design Vonnegut had a lot of time on his hands. As scholar Rodney Allen explains, Vonnegut Jr. referenced his father's demise, saying that after the depression his father turned into a "putterer". Allen adds, that the pipe "is the perfect metaphor for the change in his life: from big buildings to a personal pipe."

Off Label Uses: We tried our best to avoid an obvious marijuana joke, but let's be honest: what pothead wouldn't want an easier way to clean his pipe?

Future Directions for Research: Smoking connoisseurs like to make sure they're puffing the good stuff. Perhaps Vonnegut Sr's descendants could install a microspectrograph to analyze the tobacco right in the pipe. That information would be sent over Bluetooth to the Tobacco app on your iPhone, where it would be available to share through all applicable social media.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited March 2018
    "The History of Pipe Cleaners," from our friends at Rebornpipes.com

I have heard for many years that in times past pipe smokers used chicken feathers (and I suppose other feathers as well) to clean out their pipe stems and shanks. This makes perfect sense when you think about the stiff feather shank and the soft “bristles” of the feather. They function well as a brush when turned inside of the pipe. I am sure many a pipeman used them and threw them away until they needed another. I can almost envision them going out to the henhouse in the yard and either plucking a feather or picking one up, wiping it off and thrusting it into the stem to clean up before or after a smoke.

..... Pipemen seem to continually come up with ideas for a better pipe cleaner. The have bent and twisted wire, made creative twists and turns of metal, and designed tools that looked like cutting saws for the purpose of cleaning a pipe bowl. I came across many patents for unique designs. A quick Google search for tobacco pipe cleaners will give you ample opportunity to have a look at the wild creativity of designs for a simple tool. I have included two of the more recent patent diagrams from the 1980s that show that the search for the perfect cleaner continues to go on. 

pipe cleaner 1

Pipe cleaner 2

..... people have put spring cutting blades inside Bakelite cups to collect the scrapings of the blades. But there are also ones that have a growing following. These include such items as small shank brushes that can be washed and reused and also small barrel brushes like those used in cleaning firearms that can be run through the shank and the stem to clean out the debris left behind by the combustion of tobacco. Each of these two tools work quite well and have their place in the refurbishing kit.

But even with all this creativity and inventiveness churning out new and “better” pipe cleaners none of them have displaced the fuzzy cotton pipe cleaner. ..... If you come across a pipe smoker in your travels you will inevitably find pipe cleaners near at hand.

..... it seems to me that the idea of the [fuzzy] pipe cleaner came as a spinoff of the chicken feather. Its design is kind of a modern art version of the feather. It works in the same way as the feather – a central shaft with brushes attached that can fit in the stem and shank doing exactly what the feather did for those who used it in their pipes. ..... But who invented it? After a bit of research on the web I found that they were invented by John Harry Stedman (b. 1843, d. 1922) & Charles Angel in Rochester, New York in the early 1900’s. Stedman was a creative inventor who throughout his life invented not only the fuzzy pipe cleaner but also the streetcar transfer ticket in 1892. He sold the pipe cleaner rights to BJ Long Company who has continued to make them for over 60 years and still makes them today. A quick look at their website shows the expansion of the pipe cleaner’s uses to include medical and craft areas. Their product has wide uses and diverse purchasers. To me this brand epitomizes the pipe cleaner. I am sure many of us are familiar with it as most pipe shops in North America sell BJ Long pipe cleaners in bundles and they are sold across the World Wide Web in online shops and on EBay as well.

Pipe cleaners are normally made from some absorbent material, usually cotton. Bristles of stiffer material like nylon\plastic are added to the bristle version of the cleaner to enable the pipeman to scrub out the shank and stem of their pipes. Typically the cleaner is used by pipemen after a smoke of their pipe or when cleaning their pipes. It is used either dry or it is dipped in alcohol or is wetted with the tongue before it is inserted into the airway. The cleaner absorbs the moistures and oils from the stem and shank. It can also be folded and used in the bowl to knock out debris left behind once the dottle has been dumped. Some pipe cleaners are tapered so that one end is thick and one end thin. The theory behind the design is simple – the thin end is for cleaning the smaller airway of the stem and the thick end for the shank. Some are thin and some are fluffy. The designs are made for different sized airways and stem designs. Pipe cleaners are designed to be thrown away after use though there are many tales of them being washed and reused.

001-545-0102

The construction of pipe cleaners is simple and involves two lengths of wire, called the core, twisted together trapping short lengths of fibre between them, called the pile. Pipe cleaners are usually made two at a time, as the inner wires of each pipe cleaner have the yarn wrapped around them, making a coil; the outer wires trap the wraps of yarn, which are then cut, making the tufts. Chenille yarn is made in much the same way, which is why craft pipe cleaners are often called “chenille stems”. Some pipe cleaner machines have actually been converted into chenille machines. The pipe cleaners produced vary from machine to machine type. Some machines produce very long pipe cleaners which are wound onto spools. The spools may be sold as-is or cut to length depending on the intended use. Other cut the pipe cleaners to length as they come off the machines. The pipe cleaners used by pipe smokers and refurbishers are usually 15 – 17 cm (6 – 7 inches) long while the ones used for crafts are often 30 cm (12 inches) and can be up to 50 cm (20 inches). I have found that these longer pipe cleaners work well in cleaning church warden pipe stems so I have a few always on hand. 

• Options
    My two pipes that absolutely hate pipe cleaners. It's a chore getting a pipe cleaner through my Peterson Jekyll & Hyde and my Oom-Paul without removing the stem first. Doesn't matter how think the pipe cleaner is ... it's not going to maneuver  around those curves.