Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Dunhill Panic

It seems that a lot of people are getting a bit panicky regarding the foreseen lack of Dunhill tobaccos within the next 12 to 18 months.
Why?
To be sure, Dunhill makes a great line of pipe tobaccos, but they do not make the only tobaccos of the types and blends that we know them for.
There are other tobacco companies/blenders who blend pipe tobaccos as good as, or even better, than Dunhill. It is not as if one will never be able to buy an English type blend in the United States ever again.
Keep in mind that there were a lot of pipe smokers who mourned the demised the passing of Heinie's Blend, The Doctor's Blend and Edward G. Robinson's Blend. But they got over it and found something else to smoke that they liked as much.

Comments

• Options
    I think that it's less about not being able to find anything and more about losing some "legendary" blends. Nightcap was my first English, and when it's gone, I'll be pretty bummed.
  • Options

While I would agree there are plenty of great blends out there, the reality is that the end of Dunhill blends, is the end of another era in the pipe smoking hobby. Some pipe smokers consider the pipe, nothing more than a tool for nicotine delivery into the bloodstream. Others are more passionate about the hobby, and enjoy growing their pipe collection, and cellaring the tobaccos they enjoy the most. Another aspect, is that most folks equate the end of Dunhill tobaccos, to be a result of the deeming regulations. Some fear that the deeming regulations could be the end of several other blends that they hold dear, and not simply because they were made after February 2007.

The ripple in the pond effect over the next few years? I'm not for certain, but in the meantime, expect some folks to cellar all they can afford. After all, the value of tobacco will never diminish, only increase. There is a fellow over on tobacco cellar, who has around $60,000 to $70,000 worth of pipe tobacco in his cellar. My guess is, that he made a wise investment, regardless of the fact that he can never smoke it all.

• Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    I have three Dunhill blends that I've been smoking here and there . kind a wish I wouldn't have open them now. But they're just so dang good
  • Options
    In a way we're lucky that we're getting a lengthy warning, there are a lot of suppliers out there so check around to see what they have in stock and order some.
  • Options
    In some ways I think people are looking at this more as a portent of things to come. Today Dunhill tomorrow McClellands, Mac Baren, then eventually Sutliff and Lane Limited. The FDA Deeming regulations have us in something of a blind panic- especially those of us with a penchant for newly created blends that don't meet the Grandfather clause. So when it's announced a Company like Dunhill is getting out of the tobacco end of the business - and for the most part all their most popular blends are decades old and would have been exempt - it sends a collective shiver down the spine of pipe tobacco enthusiasts. What exactly did Dunhill read in the tea leaves which caused them to pull up stakes and cut their losses even when their stalwart blends like "Early Morning Pipe", "Nightcap" and a host of others were never in jeopardy. 
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    @ghostesofpompeii Yeah it's sad but the other brands you listed are mainly pipe tobacco companies and Dunhill pipe tobaccos and cigars are probably a blip on the radar compared to the Dunhill Cigarettes and other brands in BAT's portfolio. The outsourced production probably makes this a loser for BAT but I wouldn't be surprised if they change their minds though about this. 

• Options
    Smoking Pipes and 4Noggins seem to have Dunhill Tobacco (Tins and Bulk) in stock.
  • Options
    I'm sure it's like anything in business if your not making a profit or enough profit. It time to stop. It always comes down to dollars and cents, unfortunately!!
  • Options
    @xDutchx I'm flabbergasted by the idea that a private individual, and not the owner of a tobacco, would have $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 worth of tobacco in their cellar. If he's preparing for the apocalypse he's going about it the wrong way. Even the most extreme Apocalyptic Prepper would acquired something with greater bartering value to invest in than a luxury item like pipe tobacco. Should the day come when material goods become more valuable than paper money an investment of $28.19 for fifty pounds of rice, $139.99 for fifty pounds of dry kidney beans, $129.95 for a 12 pack of MRE's, $296.99 for 6 ten pound cans of freeze dried meat which provides 84 servings, and even a whopping investment of $7,640 for an Emergency Home Food Storage Supply which contains 4320 large meal servings with a 25 year shelf life will be more beneficial for both your family needs as well as bartering bait more so than a $60,000.00 or $70,000.00 stockpile of pipe tobacco. And if he's simply hoping to parlay that stockpile into a lucrative business proposition should the Deeming Regulation be even more stringent than we imagined, I'm sure bootlegging tobacco to evade State or Federal taxes will be a felony offense with a stiff fine and the possibility of seizure of contraband items ... namely his prized fully stocked tobacco cellar.      
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, the guy has deep pockets. My guess is that he most likely has all the items you listed, and then some.
  • Options
    What's his name and address, I'd like to see if he's willing to adopt a 66 year old codger into his family.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, I don't have his name or address, but I have seen pics of his house, and without a doubt, you and I would both enjoy living there. Especially with all that pipe tobacco stacked to the ceilings.
  • Options
    @Hitz53 , losing Dunhill from the pipe tobacco industry is like losing Coca-Cola from the soda industry.  Yes there are other sodas, but you can bet I would be stocking up on Coca-cola classic, and I don't even drink pop. @ghostsofpompeii , the day we lose McClelland is the day I weep into my pillow. 
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    I am cellaring as much Nightcap as I can afford, it has nothing to do with the Dunhill name and it is in fact the only Dunhill blend I smoke but it is my p.m. holy grail of pipe tobacco and I hope I either can cellar enough to last the rest of my life or some company picks it up and continues blending it
  • Options
    The trouble with new companies blending an old standby is they never quite get it right. Many come close but, just not the same. I've had 2 or 3 iterations of Balkan Sobranie, maybe it's the 75 year old taste buds as they came close but...
  • Options
    Maybe it's just me, but as someone who has never tried a Dunhill blend, I'm debating if it's better not to pick any blends up now. While I've always been interested in Nightcap, Royal Yacht, and a few other legendary blends, you can't miss what you haven't tried.
  • Options
    I've tried a couple of different Dunhill blends and they were good. I enjoyed them. Then I bought something else that I liked better than the Dunhill. Losing the Dunhill name from pipe tobacco is a shame but pipe smokers will survive.

I find the discontinuation of the Dunhill Pipes to be more of a tragedy. I have a Dunhill pipe on my bucket list.
  • Options
    Enjoy whilst ye can:

Dunhill_Tobacco_Brochure1 copy

Dunhill_Tobacco_Brochure2 copy

Dunhill_Tobacco_Brochure3 copy

Dunhill_Tobacco_Brochure4 copy
  • Options
    Deadpool57Deadpool57 Apprentice
    If any other smoker is like me, I stick to what I know.  I'll try new tobaccos but I always have my one that I stick to the most.  I can understand the panic. Especially with night cap.  
  • Options
    Those large Dunhill jars were going for around $500 a piece 5 or 6 years ago on ebay. I wonder how much they will be worth after Dunhill tobaccos leave the retail shelf?
  • Options
    Check out a history of DUNHILL PIPE TOBACCO: 1907 – 1990 by John C Loring

• Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    The more Dunhill tins I try, the more I am going to miss Dunhill.  Some that I've tried seem quite unique to me.  It will be sad to see them disappear. 
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    I finally opened up my first tin of early morning today, it wasn't as exciting as I had hoped for.  That blend and my taste preferences just didn't match up, I found it odd because generally Dunhill and I get along very well. I have a few more tins that I am going to age, but they will be the last ones for me because it didn't impress me enough to stock up.
  • Options
    Bought a tin of Dunhill 965 yesterday. Threw it in the cellar.
  • Options
    SimpleSimple Newcomer
    I guess I better order a few soon. I haven't tried any Dunhill products yet.
  • Options
    @simple - Don't forget to introduce yourself in the conversation located in The Pack
  • Options

I wonder if this deeming is headed off will Dunhill's change their mind?

• Options

Can anyone remember a few years back when the Hostess Company stopped making their snack cakes like Twinkies, Hostess Cupcakes, Hohos, and my favorite - Hostess Snowballs. Well when word got out there was a run on Twinkies, people started stockpiling and hoarding them by the boxful. I tried stocking up on Hostess Snowballs as well. Of course the sad reality is unlike tobacco which can be cellared and aged - snack cakes have a shelf life and will eventually go stale or bad. Once the Twinkies and Snowballs were completely gone from store shelves and the company discontinued producing snack treats I began craving Twinkies and Snowballs more than ever before. Like the Woody Harrelson character in the move "Zombieland" I needed a f**king Twinkie.

My wife and I would sit around the kitchen table reminiscing about the good old days when we'd have a Twinkie and a glass of cold milk. My eyes might have watered a bit during the conversation ... but I wasn't crying! I think a bug might have flown in my eye.

There were companies I never heard of trying to make counterfeit Twinkie and Snowball substitutes ... but they never tasted the same. So whenever I got a hankering for something sweet I discovered coconut macaroons. The world had become a sadder place when Twinkies and Snowballs went the way of the woolly mammoth. But then something magical occurred ... not as good as the second coming of Jesus - but almost as close. Hostess Company had a change of heart and they made a big major announcement that Twinkies were once again going back into production, and they promised better than ever ... with a new line of chocolate covered Twinkies, banana and chocolate crème filling, and all those other glorious snack cakes from the Hostess line - including my Hostess Snowballs!!! Oh Thank You God, Thank You! Twinkies and Snowballs have returned!

And you know what? Since that major announcement a few years have lapsed. And once more Twinkies and Snowballs are back in the stores and the racks are overflowing with these delicious snack cakes. And I've probably had about three or four Snowballs and about the same amount of Twinkies since their triumphant return. But you know what I can't pass up? A good coconut macaroon.           

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, so are you saying you think the Hostess company may get into the tobacco business, and bring back our beloved Dunhill pipe tobaccos?