Home Ask an Expert
Options

Looking for high nicotine blends

2»

Comments

• Options

Not sure if anyone has mentioned how to deal with a hard nic hit, but the trick is to spike your blood sugar quickly. Hard candy is ideal, and can get you past the spins fairly quickly

• Options

@motie2 Yea, you're probably right about leaving the blending to the Master Blenders. It's bad enough that Blending Perique smells like goat's urine on a bale of straw - but if it's actually going to make me sick as well then I need to rethink tobacco blending as part of my pipe smoking hobby and simply be satisfied enjoying what the Master Blenders have already perfected for me. I'll save my jar of Perique for Special Occasions ... like when my wife wants me to accompany her to some social function I really don't want to attend. I'll pull out the Perique and smoke a bowl straight. That should give me all the symptoms of food poisoning and keep me from having to go.  

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii -- 

<<Despite Perique’s reputation for strength, it really isn’t all that high in nicotine. What causes people to feel the effects more strongly is that the other elements allow the body to absorb the nicotine more effectively.>> ~ Russ Ouellette

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 36.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #323333}

• Options
    Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Five Brothers

<<A unique pipe tobacco. 100% burley in a bird's-eye shag cut. Minimal casing and no top-flavors. Remarkably mellow, considering. One of the more unusual tobaccos available, extremely full-bodied, ultra-high nicotine content. A must for those who like living on the dangerous side.>>

• Options

@motie2 So if I understand what Russ was suggesting does that mean when I'm looking at their chart for strength it doesn't refer to nicotine strength? For example on their website the Blending Perique I bought the chart is listed in this way:

Strength - FULL (five triangles)

Tobacco - Perique

Style ... Non-Aromatic

Room Note - 4 Distinct.

If the strength designation isn't for nicotine level ... what is meant by strength when describing the blend of a tobacco?

• Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    I have ordered up some "bow legged bear" and some "Haunted Bookshop" to try out.  Being a former cig smoker there are times I need a nic hit but it needs to be a nice smoke as well.
  • Options
    I am but a leaf on the wind. Who am I to interpret Russ Ouellette? 

I reckon there's nothing about unadulterated/uncut Perique that wouldn't be called, "Full strength."
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Do VaPers have high nicotine?  I just had some Scottish Flake (McConnell's I believe) someone gave me as a sampler and I could hardly get out of my chair.
  • Options
    @mfresa, Generally, VaPers do not have a high nicotine content, at least in my experience because I can't handle a lot of nic.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    The War Horse Bar has a little kick to it. I wouldn't call it high octane but it's up there.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @pipeman83, thanks for the feedback.  I used to smoke cigars, and some of them were strong.  Maybe this particular blend is a little strong.  I do love VaPers!!
  • Options
    After posting in this thread, I picked up two tins of War Horse Green. I love the blend and the aroma, but I have to be careful with it. I can handle some high nic blends in the evening, but this one has a habit of sneaking up on me and taking me for a spin. I find it a fun challenge, since I love the aroma and taste. If not for that, then I'd hold off on it more than I do.
  • Options
    I find the high Nic blends are usually stronger, but not in all cases.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    If you have a little steel in the spine you might want to try some thuoc lao. It might be a good idea to stock up on it before the Deeming Regulations hit. 
  • Options
    Old Joe Krantz will rattle your marbles.
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer
    So far for me, Brown Irish X Unsliced from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co has provided with the strongest nic hit I've had yet.  Happy Brown Bogie from the same maker was only slightly less strong in the nic department.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Regarding nicotine in individual tobaccos (not blends) the more sugars there are, the less nicotine there is and vice versa. 

Burley and Perique have high nicotine and low sugar.

Virginia, Turkish, and Oriental tobaccos have low nicotine and high sugar. This includes Latakia, which is low in nicotine.

Curing processes can have an effect on the tobacco's nicotine and sugar levels. 

Fire cured, air-cured, pressed, or fermented pipe tobacco has high nicotine/low sugar.

Flue-cured pipe tobbaco, on the other hand, is high in sugar but low in nicotine.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    OK, here is a revised high nicotine list based on web rambling

High Nicotine Tobaccos

Gawith & Hoggarth
    Gawith Flakes, like FVF 
    Gawith Cob PlugC&D Old Joe Krantz
    C&D Black Duck
    C&D Night Train
    C&D's Habana Day Dream, which contains cigar leaf.
    C&D Bayou MorningKendall Birdseye 
    G&H Brown Twist No 4
    G&H Sweet Rum Twist
    Pinkerton's 5 Brothers
    G&H Dark Birdseye 
    G&H Kendal Kentucky 
    C&D Riverboat Gambler 
    Peterson's Irish Flake
    SG Double XX Rope
    SG 1792
    Fairmorn's Dark Fired Shag
    Boswell blends 
    Kendall KY
    Esoterica Stonehaven
    Esoterica Tilsbury
    Former Straight Grain Flake
    Orlick GS

And I question my mention, above, about Virginias being low in nicotine. I have personally found Virginias to be high nic.

That's just my opinion, and of course I could be wrong. Just ask SWMBO..... <small shy smile>