Home General
Options

First pipe and do you still have it?

2»

Comments

• Options
    It did have a nice patina, but about 20 years ago, I had to have a new stem fit to it. And the repair person polished it. Oh well it's now got a 20 year patina now.
  • Options
    My first was a gift from a friend. An Aldo Velani Bent Dublin. It's still one of my favorites.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    Bjarne Viking that I picked up in 2010 and also a MM Country Gentelman where my first two pipes. Purchased them around the same time and I don't remember which I picked up first. Still have both. I find I smoke the cob more. No issues with the Bjarne at all and would probably purchase a second if I find a good deal on one.
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    Radice smooth bent apple I bought new from Smokingpipes.com when I first started pipe smoking. Great smoker, and I will always keep it.
  • Options
    Dr. Grabow, got it when I was in the Military and I still have it!
  • Options
    My first pipe was a basket pipe carved to resemble a skull with two red glass eyes. I was just a kid in the 8th grade when I bought it so it couldn't have cost me much. Unfortunately I lost it at some point in time during my high school years.   
  • Options
    My first was a real (I thought) cool looking Kaywoodie; I think it was called a Tricorn shape. I sawed off the metal gizmo inside. 

I don't still have it. But, I do have my second-ever pipe, bought in 1965: a E.A. Carey.
  • Options
    My first pipe was a Medico filtered pipe with an briar (not synthetic) apple shaped bowl that sits proudly among my other pipes. I bought it at the local drug store along with a pouch of Cherry Blend tobacco in 1965 as a junior in high school. I wish I had a nickel for every bowl of CB smoked in that pipe. My second pipe is a Jarl briar from Denmark given to me by my parents while I was in the Navy and home on leave at Christmas. That pipe traveled all over the world with me and sits next to my Medico. My Jarl mostly smoked Captain Black back in the late 60's and through the 70's. 

My first pipe experience was with my Dads' Kaywoodie or Yellobowl (I can't remember) and a bowl of Sutliff Mixture #79 as a "yout" somewhat before 1965 that put me to bed for a day. I STILL remember that smoke. I did not know at that time you did not puff away at high speed or try to inhale the smoke. My Dad passed away years ago and I have no idea where his one pipe went. I sure wish I had it.

So my first pipe, my Medico, sits proudly in my pipe rack as a symbol of my earlier years as a piper. I will have to smoke it soon as as a salute to many years of service.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    My first pipe was a gift from my wife this past Christmas, a hand made corn cob pipe. I have not wanted to mess it up so I have not used it yet. My second pipe was a cheap corn cob, that my son's dog got ahold of and crewed it up. So, I am now using my third pipe. A freebie that came with a started kit of tobacco from P&C.
  • Options
    tim12stringtim12string Apprentice
    When I was very little, Dad gave me one of his pipes to play with and pretend I was smoking. (This was the 60s)  Unfortunately I took it to school in 9th grade for a play and one of my nemeses "accidently" broke it.  Didn't know whether to punch him or cry.