Home General
Options

First pipe and do you still have it?

crapgamecrapgame Newcomer
My first pipe is and Brebbia Gala First 986 with a silver band that I bought in 1983 on my 16th birthday..I still smoke it and hope to one day have the original stem replaced by Brebbia so it will look like the day I bought it

Comments

• Options
    PadraigPadraig Apprentice
    My first was a Dr Grabow freehand purchased in 1998 or 99 along with a big goopy bag of discount cherry Cavendish. I don't know where it exactly, but if I had to guess, it's probably in a box at my mom's house right next to a 95% full, 18 year old bag of cherry Cavendish. 
  • Options
    Mine was a basket pipe from the local shop I had it untill about two weeks ago when I passed it on to my brother in law 
  • Options
    I bought a Savinelli Roma at The Tobacco Leaf in Stockton, CA (1986).
    Still have it and smoke it weekly with aromatics. Great pipe.
  • Options
    Don't have the first one I bought in 1972 but I do have a Yellow Bole Spartan Briar that was my grandfather's. I was given it after his funeral in 1978. I also still have a CAO Cavalier Meerschaum I received as a Christmas present in 1984. I have recently smoked both of them.
  • Options
      My first pipe was/is an H.I.S. apple shaped pipe and yes, I still have it and smoke it regularly. It was a Christmas gift from my wife after years of asking for one. I will never give it up as it smokes really well for a cheaper pipe and has a lot of sentimental value for me!
  • Options
    KyohanKyohan Newcomer
    My first pipe was a Duca Carlo bent billiard that I bought in the mid-nineties. I still have it and still put it in the rotation from time to time.
  • Options
    Fatkins76Fatkins76 Newcomer
    My first was a Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat that i picked up in 2008, and it's still in the rotation.  My first big boy briar is a Peterson St. Patty's Dublin that I got this year.  I got a lot of mileage from cobs before I decided to get myself a respectable briar.
  • Options
    My first pipe was a MM cob, burned it out in 3 days, must have been defective :) it's long gone.
  • Options
    My first pipe was a Peterson Aran 408 Author, which I bought online in 2012. I still have it, and devote Squadron Leader and Shortcut to Mushrooms to it. It's been a very good pipe to me.
  • Options
    I got two of my dad's pipes after he died. I only know that they are briar and from Italy. 
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    My first pipe was a Dr Grabow Bent Duke.  My parents gave it to me for Christmas, 1966.  I was 14 years old.  Sadly, it disappeared in Southeast Asia a few years later.  I like to think one of Uncle Ho's acolytes found it and still gives it the respect it deserves.  More likely, it long ago moldered away in the jungle.
  • Options
    Savinelli Oscar Tiger (forgot the shape number, but it is a prince shape) and yes, I have it. Fave pipe to smoke aromatics out of!
  • Options
    S&R (B&M) straight billiard with a lucite stem. still have it. but it's pretty low on my go-to list.
  • Options
    My first pipe was a piece I inherited from my grandfather. A freehand of somekind (Ben wade?). I still enjoy a bowl from time to time.
  • Options
    pipesithpipesith Newcomer
    First pipe was a Dr. Grabow.  I still have it . It is collecting dust somewhere.
  • Options
    I have no idea what it was - some drugstore thing that I no longer have. I do have the first pipe I bought in a pipe shop, which is a store-brand apple from Campbell's Smoke Shop in East Lansing that I bought in 1972. It cost me $10, which was a fair chunk of change back then. I still smoke it regularly.
  • Options
    My first was a Dr Grabow. Paid a $1.99 at The Grant Street Pharmacy in Columbus, Ohio.  That was in 1972, and I do still have it, though the bit has been replaced!  Smokes just as good now as it did then!
  • Options
    My first purchased pipe was a GBD Concord simi churchwarden in 1975 while attending college at the University of Southern Mississippi. I was heavily into Tolkien at the time (and still), so I was looking for a churchwarden to smoke while reading. I still enjoy smoking it. I enjoyed it so much that I quickly purchased a more portable one, a Chacom Fjord, which I also still smoke. My Dad was a pipe smoker so these weren't the first ones I smoked, just the first bought. Dad smoked Sir Walter Raleigh so I did too. He liked the regular but I soon switched to the aromatic. I think my third was probably the one I ordered from an offer on a pack of SWR. The bowl was shaped like the head of Sir Walter himself, including the wide brimmed hat! I lost it somehow and have been searching flea markets for another like it for nearly 40 years.
  • Options
    Mine was a MM Corncob that I smoked the crap out of. I can't smoke it anymore but still have it for old times sake!
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Basket pipe for my first three pipes and still have them as they smoked beautifully... for a basket pipe.
  • Options
    One of my best smokers is a basket @drac2485
  • Options
    My first pipe was a cob like most everybody starting out and also a Dr. Grabow , the first real pipe I bought was a Ben Wade Golden Matt freehand that I bought at the Tinder Box , I put it in layaway because I didn't make a lot of money , it cost $150 back then and I still have it to this day, I've had it for 33 years.
  • Options
    StoneyStoney Newcomer
    Still have a "Copenhagen" basket pipe bought in the early 80s.  It's cracked and has high miles, but it's good for occasional nostalgia smoke.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    My first pipe was a Yello Bole given to me by a dear friend. It belonged to his grandfather and since my friend doesn't smoke he passed along to me. I still have it around somewhere, although I must admit it is crack along the shank and unsmokable.
  • Options
    What is a basket pipe?
  • Options
    A basket pipe is one that pipe shops usually would display in a basket on the counter. They are inexpensive, no name brand pipes that are machine made or else they had flaws in the wood that didn't meet quality control standards of the manufacturer. In other words, not the highest quality pipe you can buy but still smokeable.
  • Options
    I to have a Yellow Bole I got from my pops when I was about 17 but I don't use it much as it tends to gurgle. But its a nice keepsake.
  • Options
    Watchmaker61Watchmaker61 Enthusiast
    First pipe was my Grandfathers which I got when I was 4 years old. Was the the first pipe I smoked when I was 18 years old. I still have it.its very special as the shank spilt and my Grandfather who was a master machinist made a copper collar to hold the split together!
  • Options
    Wow, what a great story @watchmaker61. That pipes worth waaaay more than the monitary value!
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @watchmaker61 that is so cool. Definitely a keepsake. Just curious does the copper have a nice patina on it?