Home General
Options

CHRISTMAS.........

A little early for Christmas talk but getting ahead of the game.....
So how many of you have special Christmas Blends you smoke during the Holidays?
Do you have a special Pipe you use?
I
am going to try a couple new blends this Christmas and might use one of
my pipes I have never used, nothing special about it I just have one
that is always my go to pipe so I think I am going to give it a break
and use a different one for a change. 

Comments

• Options
    I like both the Rattray's Winter Edition and the Peterson's Holiday Season blends. Currently I have the Rattray's Winter Edition 2014 and the Peterson's 2015 that have been in mason jars aging since last December.

As usual, I buy whatever C&D puts out for a Christmas Blend to use a stocking stuffers for my two sons and myself. So I have 3 tins of Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose sitting back waiting until Dec. 25.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I have a Dunhill #137 sandblasted cant3ed dublin and a Doctor Grabow Savoy rusticated with a saddel bit.
    Both of which are speacil due to how and why I received them.I'll be popping the top on a tin of
    EGR for the tradion of an old smoke for an old man.
  • Options
    Nothing special for Christmas, I plan to finish my last Edgeworth Ready Rubbed for New Years.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe them sound great!  Where can I find them?

@LostMason I know that feeling of opening a tin, the first air pressure leak and aroma that comes out after the air goes in......but so far I am still looking for that great Christmas Blend....

@Wooddman Have you ever thought about it? Do you like Aromatics?  If so give it a try this year, maybe I can send you some??

• Options
    @Woodsman I tagged you in above post but made a typo....Sorry.
  • Options
    @wolf41035 - Check smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com

• Options
    I am a huge fan of the Christmas Cheer that McClelland puts out. 
  • Options
    I also go ahead and grab a tin of C&D's Christmas offering. Even if you don't like the tobacco the tin art is great.
  • Options
    Anyone considering using Christmas blends in the Secret Santa? I mean, it couldn't get much more appropriate than that.
  • Options
    OK I have got to get my throat feeling better, all these Christmas Blends....I have to try them all!  LOL
  • Options
    Wolf41035, I started out on Aro's and gradually got away from them. Lane's 1-Q is the only one I go to with any regularity. I have many aromatic tins that I smoke when in the mood and I often use Black Cavendish to sweeten up and tame some other tobaccos.
  • Options
    Sounds good, I think Black Cavendish is one a lot of people like, I will stick with my aromatics for now, if I don't want an Aromatic taste I just smoke Cigars.  lol
  • Options
    No clue when the Christmas blend will be in and ready at the Strauss store....
  • Options
    Forgot to say I got my Christmas/Holiday Blends, several at that.
  • Options
    @nicolestglaneltd, using Christmas blends is a great idea. I hadn't thought about it before you mentioned it,but I like it a lot.
  • Options
    Peterson's Holiday Season Limited edition  -  GOOD
    McClelland's 2016 Edition Holiday Spirit  - GOOD
    H&H Caramel Apple  - OK
    H&H Egg Nog  - OK
    Straus Wenceslas (Christmas Special Blend) - Not worth the money!

Back Order is Russ's Pick Sugar Plum, I will let you know when it arrives. 

These are what I have found and bought, still looking for more. 
  • Options
    I've got Frog Morton Cellar & McClellands Christmas Cheer on my Elfster list for Xmas looking forward to trying both for the 1st time!
  • Options
    I like McCellands Holiday Spirit..
  • Options
    2 oz. of Cornell and Diehl corn cob pipe and a button nose.  
  • Options
    My thoughts on a special pipe, I don't currently have one but i am going to do a little research and try to find a Christmas edition pipe from the year i was born which was 1984. So does anybody know of an awesome Christmas pipe from 1984???
  • Options
    @maxwell04, that raises an interesting point. When did the Christmas edition pipes start appearing? I would suggest you start your research - and maybe you've thought of this - by investigating the well-established firms that make them now. Peterson, Dunhill, and Svainelli all come to mind as companies that were around them, and make Christmas pipes now.  
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    My thoughts on a special pipe, I don't currently have one but i am going
    to do a little research and try to find a Christmas edition pipe from
    the year i was born which was 1984. So does anybody know of an awesome
    Christmas pipe from 1984???

@maxwell04 I don't know about awesome but Comoy christmas/holiday pipes came in a wood stand with a dated plaque . Dunhill's came in a dated leather book. I don't know if American/Tinsky, Roller had a Christmas pipe yet. I'm away from home and my library so I can't look up what other artisans were doing in 1984. The 1984 Comoy and Dunhill christmas pipes are probably your best bet.
  • Options
    Christmas and Holiday Blends are always out of stock, the ones they do have I have already ordered and have here....I wonder if they will stock up soon or have more left over after the Holidays and maybe get it then?? LOL
  • Options
    I'm still looking for a birth year Peterson but they're very rare. 1941 was 2 years into WW II and the supply of briar was cut off. The letter date on the silver band is an Uncial Z. here's the Peterson hall marking to show how years are marked. The letters are part of the 3 character stampings.hallmarking-new[1]
  • Options
    @Woodsman that is a nice share, I will look through some of my older estate pipes and see what I have.
    Be right back with a list  that is if I have any on this chart.
  • Options
    Pipes I have: PANEPINTO  Briar  I don't know anything about this one.
    Thompson Bent Stem, Dr. Grabow - Briar Bent Stem, Unknown marble looking pipe with what looks to be some kind of metal type bowl, Antique Opium Pipe, Royal Ascot De LUXE Algerian Briar from France, Dr. Grabow - Silver Duke imported Briar and 4 Missouri Meerschaum corn cob Pipes. 
    Ordering two custom made Clay pipes from Europe after the first of the year one will be a Wolf head and the other will have a Christmas tree with presents around it.
    Did not find any Peterson Pipes but have more from family in storage that I need to get out and check.
  • Options

Speaking a Christmas pipes, some folks always break out (no pun intended) a clay and smoke a few bowls during the holiday season. I think everyone should smoke a clay a few times at least, in order to get an idea what type experience pipe smokers had, prior to briar.

Also, if you are interested in learning about the history of pipe smoking, Richard Carlton Hacker's book "The Christmas Pipe," is a great read. It researches the days, when parents didn't have to be concerned about their children's exposure to pictures of Santa Claus clenching a pipe, and the libby's were more concerned with welfare reform and protesting the war.

• Options
    @xDutchx - we call those "The Good Ol'Days"

I have never associated a clay pipe with Santa Claus though. I have seen old pictures of him with a pipe but my perception has been that they were churchwardens or a calabash gourds for some reason.
  • Options
    Yes the good ol' days, where have they gone?  I remember pictures of Santa with a pipe but until you just mentioned it I forgot all about it.......I can give you the information form the lady that is going to make my custom pipes, I think with shipping it is only going to cost around $60 US dollars which is not bad since she is making the design custom for me.  She will not be doing any Pipes until after Christmas though so don't be in a rush. 
    If any of you want the information just let me know. 
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that the Hallmarks are only on the Silver banded ones.