Home The Lounge
Options

New FDA Regs and pipe smoking

2»

Comments

• Options
    I agree @lostmason. We are looked at as trouble makers and a minority of people that cost others money. The end of pipe smoking as we know it is coming in a few short weeks.
  • Options
    StoneyStoney Newcomer
    No worries, I wrote to my Congressman.  That'll fix it.
  • Options
    haha you got jokes @stoney
  • Options
    the key may to start learning to process your own leaf. just may become an underground hobby... much like other things used to be. times change, people change, ignorance is acceptable and common sense is dangerous.
  • Options
    thesubconthesubcon Newcomer
    Thankfully I live close to Steven Brooks....he gets all his organic leaves and stuff off Native Reservations. Also I'm sure he doesn't care what the govt. does.
    oh snap
  • Options
    @Pappy, lets see how well it works out for us, I suspect that this will proceed the way it usually does, stall the case in litigation until we run out of money to fight anymore... the gov will get what it wants... we can thank all those precious "Snowflakes"
  • Options
    Don't forget that all of this was authorized by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (PUB.L. 111-31, H.R. 1256), with the support of big tobacco.
  • Options
    pipesithpipesith Newcomer
    I wrote my congressmen and the response I got from all of them was they supported the FDA. Told me it for the protection of the children.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @LostMason  Your not an old codger, and if you are then I fall in the same category being 31.  I served in the military and with all the crap going on it's disgusting watching the constitution being flushed by the politicians and bureaucrats that only look after whomever puts money in their pockets, and I'm not talking about the tax payers.
  • Options
    It has been my contention for several years that a good portion of the reason that smoking is held in such ill repute by many, many people, is that Big Tobacco totally refused to acknowledge any health risks with tobacco, and refused to market it as an adult product. Their stonewalling has contributed to this situation. 
  • Options
    Being the Libertarian that I am......this is just another "overreach" by the Feds to control everything. What constitutional right does any regulatory agency have to decree such an order? Am I missing something that I thought I understood from high school civics class so many years ago?

Without getting on my soap box, we are slowly but surely being stripped of our freedoms under the guise of "protecting us", and "oh the children". Come on, anyone with any sense of what is going on realizes this just gives many more people government positions to "protect us", and to substantially increase the monies taken in by taxes and licenses. "We are the government and we are here to protect you".

Make the parents of teenagers responsible for Billy or Sally should they purchase tobacco while underage. People of majority age should have the freedom and the right to smoke, chew, snort or digest any damn thing they want. We do not need to be subjects of a "Nanny State" where the Feds know what is, and can regulate what is "good" for us.

And lastly: Being an Historian, and a student of the early american era I cannot imagine what the founding fathers and the constitutional framers would have to say about this and SO MANY other bureaucratic overreaches that are and have been foisted upon us. These guys are spinning in their graves, visit an historic cemetery and listen for the hum coming from the ground below.
  • Options
    Oh, and I wanted to mention that ironically tobacco was a main source of income for many people in the early american era. Tobacco farming was a significant portion of the GDP at the time. Is that not ironic when you think about it?
  • Options
    "No matter how bad you think it's gonna get, it's gonna be worse." After all, it's always darkest before it goes pitch black.
  • Options

People tend to be issue orientated. They look at the world with tunnel vision without seeing the big picture. The rights of an individual are restricted to 'their' particular right without considering the right of the individual with an opposing viewpoint. They can spot a smoker sitting on a park bench from a mile away then jog towards that smoker - even though they might have originally been headed in the opposite direction - just to tell them about the effects of second hand smoke and how our bad habit is affecting their health.

Tunnel vision.

So many people are looking down at their iPads and cell phones and never bother to look up at the sky above them to see what's happening on a grander scale. Checkerboard cloud patterns are not a normal cloud formation. And mega-mile long streaks in the sky are not the cause of water vapor contrails from a jet exhaust as they would have you believe. Contrails dissipates rapidly. What you're looking at in the skies above are chemicals sprayed into the atmosphere for who knows what. nefarious reason ... and because no official credible response is given - other than misinformation or outright deniability - people think the worst and the conspiracy theories (as ridiculous as some may be) are abound. Making it easy for officials to paint all concerned people with the same broad brush as wacky tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist to be ignored.

So my advise for people with tobacco and second hand smoke on the brain, instead of narrowing your tunnel vision to your private pet peeve, and the one or two smokers you may come in contact throughout the day, I suggest you expand your range of vision to the sky above you and consider the very air you breath instead of the occasional smoker you run into during the course of the day. 

You want something to fret about ... there it is - right above your head. And if you're really concerned about the health and well being of your children and future generations - then write a letter to your Congressman ... not about the occasional whiff of smoke coming from a pipe, cigar, or cigarette smoker ... but to demand to know what chemicals are contained in the chemtrails being seeded into the sky.    

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Hey, Ghost, that's commie talk. The President "is like a smart person" and he feels there's nothing wrong with polluting water, earth, and air, if not dumping toxins is gonna hurt business. That's why he's getting rid of all the scientists in the EPA.
  • Options
    That frees up the scientists to do something useful ... like cloning a dinosaur. What could possibly go wrong with that idea? 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii -- Or, of greater concern, "How would the cloning affect Jeff Goldblum?"
  • Options
    @motie2 It would be most beneficial to Jeff Goldblum. He'll be able to film two movies at the same time. Possibly "Jurassic World 2" and "Independence Day 3". And with any luck we might get a third clone to make a reboot of "The Fly". 
  • Options
    Been looking into purchasing a condo when I finally sell my house and with all the rules and by-laws associated with getting a condo has made the option less appealing to me. Found one with a balcony deck suitable for a barbecue grill ... and I see several currently occupied apartments in the building with a grill on the deck - yet the by-laws strictly prohibit smoking of any kind either in the apartment or on the balcony. Makes little sense if you can cook burgers and hotdogs on a smoky grill but can't sit on the balcony with smoke emanating from your pipe. It's looking more and more like my best option is simply finding another house somewhere if and when I finally sell mine.