Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Latest Pipe Purchase

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    @KA9FFJ
    Yes, lately, apparently Peterson did not have a source for these short P-Lips.  I have been watching for a Killarney 53 with a P-Lip, but had not seen one.  It’s not that I care about a P-Lip (I actually prefer a fishtail), but the Peterson P-Lips are shorter than the fishtails on the 53’s I have seen.  I like the aesthetics of a bit shorter stem better.  They must have found a new supplier for these short P-Lip stems.  They are brittle…..found that out the hard way.  The first time I removed the stem the tenon broke, another flaw in this pipe, the tenon is crazy thin.  I SuperGlued the broken piece back in place and sanded the tenon down slightly so it was not as tight a fit….I hate tight stems, too loose is bad but at least they don’t break, and it’s easier to tighten a loose stem slightly if needed.  I would  have made and installed a new more robust tenon, but the stem airway is cut slightly off-center so it would be difficult for me to get it aligned with the shank again.  I guess I will see how long my repair lasts.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    OK, for the most part you have not seen or heard from me in almost 2 weeks. The reason is simple. I just returned from an 11 day cruise starting with 3 days in Rome, then ported at Florence, Montpelier, Marseille and ending in Barcelona. 
    I took no pipe because of possible problems with customs, etc. It worked out pretty good because I really didn't have any down time anyway.
    I kept looking for B&M as I toured the cities with no luck UNTIL, Marseille. That's when I finally found the one and only pipe pipe shop that was in walking distance as we toured.

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited January 7
    It had a small variety of French made pipes which is what I was looking for... a souvenir, if you will.
    Turns out COMOY makes a line of pipes called, "The French Pipe". The distinguishing feature of their various shapes is the deep navy colored double band between 3 white bands on the shank.
    I sifted through those pipes until I came across a #6. Liked it and bought it... 59 euros with no tax and duty free.
    It came with a box, a pipe sock, a booklet showing all styles, a book of extra long matches and a Chec tool...

• Options
    @KA9FFJ;
    That's a beautiful pipe. If it wasn't such a far drive, I might get one meself.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ
    What was their selection of pipe tobacco like?
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @PappyJoe
    Very slim. Over half of their selection I could get from Pipes & Cigars!
    There were a few tins of European blends, but the descriptive labels were all in French.
    I don't know French, and when I asked him for aromatics, he shrugged his shoulders, shook his head and continued to read his newspaper... I knew then I would have to be satisfied with just the pipe purchase.
    But all in all, I was still happy...
  • Options
    Slowly. Very Slowly. The pipe shop where we hold New Orleans Pipe Club meetings (Mayan Imports in Metairie, LA) is finally getting new pipe tobacco tins to restock their shelves. 
    I was completely surprised to walk into the shop yesterday and see some very hard to find pipe tobacco sitting on the shelves. I think it's been over four years since they last had any of these blends in the store. 

I bought two tins of the Pembroke. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe;
    That's good to see. When most B&M shops are closing their doors, you have a place to meet and resupply. I hope they continue to thrive(along with yourself).