Home General
Options

Trading Post!! Trades?? Pipes? Blends? Pipe related stuff??

Comments

• Options
    Been offline and will be for a while longer but when I come back I will have 1 oz. blocks of cleaned bees wax for sale. This will be cleaned (Filtered) wax not burnt, no residue in it but very clean high quality Bees Wax right from the Honey Bees themselves.  I can make 1 oz. 2 oz. or even 1 lb. squares or rectangles.  Let me know your preferred size and shape if your interested.
  • Options
    @motie2 I completely understand, and hope I didn't come off like I was pressuring you at all. I just wanted to make sure you knew I wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg for them. We all have our pipe preferences, and I respect your choice of brand :).

@PhilosoPiper Thanks for the heads up! It is a good pipe, but I just prefer my other shapes a bit more.
  • Options
    @baconjacket would you please post a photo of the black morta pipe?  Thanks
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper -- Thank you for the courtesy of your reply.... Much appreciated.....
  • Options
    I have two ounces of Country Squire's Pirate's Alley for trade.  Looking for Samuel Gawith Scottish Autumn Flake, if anyone has any they wouldn't mind trading for.

• Options
    Looking to offload the estate Castello I posted photos of on the "Antique Hauls" thread. It also comes what looks to be an SMS leather meerschaum case, that the pipe was in when I bought it. (I love how antique dealers do stuff like that) 

https://imgur.com/a/hkVaH

Estate, Carlo Scotti Era, Triple K, Bent Egg Military Mount, Castello

Chamber Diameter: .81" Length: 5.5"

Asking $200 OBO

• Options
    @mfresa Sorry for the delay! I have been offline for a spell. Will get some pics up asap...
  • Options
    @mfresa Here are some pics of the morta poker. I can send more detailed close ups if there is any interest. It has had only two bowls smoked in it. Looks like a sitter, but it doesn't without help. Could probably use a little bee's wax or some other mod for a tighter fit on the stem, but smokes great otherwise. Paid $150 for it, but fully do not expect to equal that in trade. Ideally looking for tobacco, a halfway decent church warden, after-market cob bits, or any combination thereof... I'm pretty open.

• Options
    @baconjacket, would you be open to a custom churchwarden?  I'm going to make one soon.
  • Options
    I'm just researching morta/bog oak as a resource. Damn, but there are some fine looking morta pipes.
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1124&bih=692&q=morta+pipe about 
  • Options
    Yeah, they are supposed to give a "neutral" smoke, similar to a meerschaum.  But harder to work with woodworking tools because the material is so hard.
  • Options
    Now I want one. Damn. 
  • Options
    @motie2,I really like my morta.
  • Options
    There's a wide variety of morta pipes on eBay, but they are too rich for the money I spend that I can conceal from SWMBO.....
  • Options
    Vermont Freehand has morta blanks if anyone wants to try creating their own.  I don't have the equipment for it.
  • Options
    I have never made a morta pipe. I have giving it some thought though I am getting ready to place a order I might add a block to it and stare at it for a while. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I have a mess of bulk and some sealed tins I want to trade, mostly English/Balkan. Just need to pull the cellar apart and sort them out. Will post ASAP.
  • Options
    @baconjacket, let me know what you have, please.  Also, have you tried the churchwarden yet?
  • Options
    @baconjacket I wiuld like to know as well.
  • Options
    I will be adding Bees wax to trade list but been to busy with personal life and farm work.
  • Options
    @mfresa @Corey562 Checking in - have had almost zero free time lately, but plan to pull the cellar apart sometime this week hopefully and will get a list and pics up as soon as I can.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

UPDATE: 12/1/17 - The FM Cellar has left the building.

Ok. Round one of potential cellar trades. Nothing huge here, just some stuff that won't get smoked.

1st pic are all sealed tins. 2nd pic are tins jarred after a smoke or two. I can get exact weights if anyone wishes. Most were 2oz tins, except the DaVinci was an 8oz (I will trade this in it's entirety for one sealed 2oz tin), the Acadian Perique was a 3.5oz, the Baker St. was bulk (from The Country Squire - I also have 2oz of their Rivendell to trade but not pictured). The 'ODY' is GLP Odyssey.

I'm not a stickler for 'even' trades, I might even do 2 for 1 if you have something I really want, I'm open to haggle. The only thing I do not want is straight VA or aromatics. Other than that I'm open to mostly anything based on my likes and whats in the cellar. 

Bonus points if you have any of the following to trade (a guy can hope...) Navigator, Haunted Bookshop, White Knight, Dunhill Std Mix, any of the McClelland Grand Oriental series, Jack Knife Plug.

Let me know if you're interested! 
  • Options

Knowing full well that the members here have a much more discriminating palate for quality tobacco than the old timers I shared a bowl with way back when I was still working in the Steel Mill, I'll not insult anyone with the notion of a trade for what I'm about to offer. So instead I'm simply offering it up to anyone who enjoys the old codger OTC blends. And the blend I'm offering to the first one who responds is none other than the "Velvet". I've had two one pound cans in my cellar for well over 20 - 25 years. The cans were actually gifted to me by an old Supervisor well over two decades ago. One of the cans is still unopened, the other I've used on occasion for my experiment blends. I've rehydrated it and it works fine for blending and making my strange concoctions. The strange thing about the opened can is that no matter how many times I've taken tobacco from the can it still looks to be filled to the top. I believe it's regenerating. I wish my Molto Dolce would do the same thing. It's just typical that the blend I don't like is replenishing itself. So I'll gladly send the unopened can to whoever wants it. Or both for that matter.   

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii it is the bottomless tin.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, would Velvet be a Virginia style blend?
  • Options
    @mfresa I'm reading the side of the can right now and it states "Velvet is made from the best sun-ripened Kentucky Burley Tobacco aged to perfection in nature's slow but sure way". So judging by that I'd say no, it's not a Virginia style blend, it's a Burley blend - but I wouldn't call it a flavored aromatic either. It's similar to Carter Hall but I like Carter Hall better. The old guys I worked with back in the day seemed to buy the stuff by the case. Unlike now-a-days since I've retired and haven't bumped into another pipe smoker in my travels, when I worked in the Mill there were several dozen maintenance and productions workers in my shop that smoked a pipe. There might be six guys sitting around the picnic table in the shanty at lunchtime puffing a pipe.  And they all seemed to smoke either Velvet, Prince Albert, or Half & Half. When I showed up smoking Captain Black they taunted me to no end. "That's not tobacco",  they'd sneer. "Now here is tobacco for men" - to which they'd brandish that bright red can of Velvet. I was never impressed with their macho bullshit and eventually got a few to switch over to Captain Black, but I've smoked my share of Velvet over the years and there's nothing really wrong with it other than it's not my cup of tea. Cigarette smokers say it's a step above cigarette tobacco ... and there were a few who actually did roll their own cigarettes and used Velvet. I have a few vintage cans of Velvet that suggested it could be used for both. The later period cans dropped the reference to cigarettes as well as the picture of a smoldering cigarette on the can and simply advertise it as pipe tobacco. The only people rolling their own cigarettes today don't usually use tobacco anyway.  Hope this answers your question. I tend to give the long answer for everything.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, I'm game, I'll give it a shot, I like codger burley blends, I'd be happy to take it.
  • Options
    @Pipeman83 Send me your address and I'll send it off to you.