Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Overrated Tobaccos

Being fairly new to pipe tobacco and mainly trying the popular easy to get bulk tobaccos I am looking for some input from the more experienced bunch of the group. What blends would you consider overrated. I know there are a few tobaccos out their that have a sense of aura around them. Maybe it is brought on by great marketing, limited supply and high demand, or just plan old scuttlebutt that makes it so prestigious. What is on your list?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not much help on bulks, 'cause I don't smoke 'em much. I will say that I think the Frog Morton series is overrated.
  • Options
    Penzance.  Oh Lord, Penzance.  It's a good tobacco - I'm not saying it's bad...but I don't understand why there's always such a rush to get it when it's in stock.  Based on it's reputation, you'd think it has the ability to grant eternal life. 

Actually, I think this applies to pretty much all Esoterica blends, with the exception of Stonehaven (which, I think, is every bit as good as it's rep).
  • Options
    @idbowman, the only reason I can see is simply because they are hard to get. I enjoy Penzance a lot; I still have three tins stashed away. But I refuse to partake in the frenzy.
  • Options
    There are so many great blends out there and tastes are so varied. I would take the opposite approach. Rather than trying to cross off over-hyped blends, I'd start trying to ferret out the under-hyped blends. That is a sure way to find some gems.
  • Options
    I have to agree with @tomatobodhi. I will say from experience anything that is limited in release seems to be extremely hyped tobacco, such as Esoterica's blends.  Are they really better than all the others, probably not.  Are they good, the ones I have gotten my hands on... Yes.  Do I enjoy other blends that are easy to find and cheap to buy in bulk just as much or more... Yes.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @tomatobodhi, that is the exact reason I created a thread asking for input from others to find hidden gems among the sea of variety of tobaccos out their. Unfortunately only has about 3 posts so far.
  • Options
    What type of tobacco do you prefer? That would help narrow it down. Aromatic, English, Virginia, Burley, etc.?
  • Options
    I've been having a lot of good experience with Newminster bulks I've really liked their English Ultimate, Superior Navy Flake, and Sliced Superior Rounds
  • Options
    None of the above are Aromatics. Mainly I like English and Burley blends.
  • Options
    For me it would be Trout Stream. I love the name, the description, and most of the reviews are glowing about the blend. Unfortunately, I get nothing but tasteless, hot, tongue burning air from it.
  • Options
    For me it would be Trout Stream. I love the name, the description, and most of the reviews are glowing about the blend. Unfortunately, I get nothing but tasteless, hot, tongue burning air from it.
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    I finally got a Frog in my pipe, and @judandhispipe and I agree, frog morton is not at all what I had hoped it would be.  I really wanted to like Frog Morton, the reviews are generally positive and the Frog series is almost always in the top 10 at smokingpipes.com so it must be great right?  For some it seems to be a holy grail, for me it is a purchase I wish I hadn't made (to each their own, I don't mean to say it is a bad blend, only that it isn't a good fit for me or my pipe)  I will ask some of the more experienced smokers on here-Frog Morton is described as a Latakia blend, so why does it taste and smell so different from almost every Latakia blend I have smoked?  I don't get the leather or woodsmoke taste or tin aroma that I associate with Latakia blends from Cornell and Diehl, Dunhill, or Hearth and Home.  Do they have a different type of Latakia or does the Frog Morton top note just hide it?  As for the top note....reminds me of Velvet quite a bit, as much as I like Velvet I was not expecting to get a hint of it in a "legend" blend like Frog Morton. 
  • Options
    @paulwansing - Which Frog Morton did you try? I've had Cellar and On the Bayou and they were good smokes in my opinion. I don't care for Across the Pond, On the Town or just Frog Morton - and I like latakia. 
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur

@thewanderingdude I will have to agree with you on that.

• Options
    tim12stringtim12string Apprentice
    I know some people love them, but I HATE flake tobacco. Too much trouble. I just want to pack my pipe & fire it up. Call me lazy, but flakes are too much work.
  • Options
    paulwansingpaulwansing Enthusiast
    @PappyJoe I tried the regular Frog Morton, but I have cellar on my shelf as well (unopened).  I am going to try the advise I see on here and other pipe websites that says to pop the lid on and come back in six months to see if I like it then. 
  • Options
    @xDutchx -- freakin' hilarious!!!!! Thanks.
  • Options
    @paulwansing - I wouldn't let it dry out that long. I found loading my pipe and letting it sit for an hour or two dried it out enough.
  • Options
    @xDutchx -- freakin' hilarious!!!!! Thanks.
  • Options
    I have purchased and smoked both the Frog Morten Cellar and Moto Dolce and found both to be extremely wet in the tins. Drying them out helped, but they are both still wet and "gloppy". I usually get my bowls lit one time and they smoke through to the bottom without ever needing a relight. Both of these tobaccos needed multiple lights and just would not burn right. The flavors and profiles were OK, not necessarily my type, but I cannot fault that on the tobacco. I am going to try and dry them out a bit more and take them for another run or two. If I still have issues then that is it......life is too short to have to fight while trying to enjoy a smoke.
  • Options
    Here's a curiosity: My first couple of cans of Molto Dolce (ordered from P&C) were..... gloppy, just like everyone says. (BTW, I love it anyway.) But my most recent tin, also from P&C) was not gloppy; just nice and fresh feeling. Smokes the same, too. Again, go figure.
  • Options
    @paulwansing,the Frogs are topped, and it's the topping I didn't care for. The ones I tried - original and Across the Pond, IIRC - are pretty light in the lat department. I was dissatisfied enough not to try any others.
  • Options
    I may be getting myself accused of Heresy but, I tried Escudo fresh from the can, and a can of 7 year old and I still don't like it. I think Stokkeby Luxury Bulls Eye slices and Newminster Superior Round Slices are much better.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Holy cow! Are you trying to start a fight? I wouldn't dare mention any blend since just because I don't like something doesn't mean it isn't good. 

One rotten thing I'll admit to doing is finding out a band, or singer, that someone likes then saying something like "the Rolling Stones are the most overrated band ever". It's a sure way to spin someone up, and if done right can be quite fun. Just be ready. I know people listing a tobacco blend is not trying to get anyone going and it's a fair question. 

I also know the spirit of the thread is good, I'm just saying if someone sees their favorite mentioned, it's only a matter of taste. Personally I love 7 year old Escudo fresh from the can. Just kidding Mr. Woodsman!

P.S. I do not think the Rolling Stones are the most overrated band ever, I just used it for an example. Everyone knows the Beatles are. 

again . . . joking!!
  • Options
    As an aromatic smoker who dabbles in English mixtures and an occasional VaPer, I find Escudo to be delightful. But what the heck, "De gustibus non est disputandum."
  • Options
    McClelland makes both tinned and bulk, I like Frogmorton but McClelland 5110 Dark English bulk is better in all the right places.
  • Options
    Like what some have mentioned above, I hesitate to say a blend is overrated. For the most part, if a blend has a fervent following, then there must be a reason. There might be a blend that I don't care for, but it could be your next favorite blend. And sometimes a blend needs some age to shine, which happened to me with Newminster Superior Flake. Didn't like it at first, let it sit in my cellar for a few months, and now I like it. Heck, the first time I tried Orlik Golden Sliced I wasn't impressed, but enjoyed my second bowl.

Frog Morton on the Town was a blend that I thought was nice, but didn't need to sample again. On the Bayou, however, is a favorite of mine. You might not like one Frog Morton, but there might be another one you'll enjoy.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Does that 5110 lean towards Cellar or Across the Pond, comparing it to the FMs?
  • Options
    SERENTILSERENTIL Newcomer

As many have pointed out, there is no such thing as "overrated tobacco" if the reviewer is the consumer.   Liking or disliking a particular tobacco is an entirely subjective affair.  There are some wildly popular tobaccos that I am not too fond of and the ones that I find to be "the best" may be so-so in your book.