Home General
Options

Pipe scene in your neighborhood?

Comments

• Options
    Southern New Jersey here....I often feel like the odd guy out as I don't see too many "pipesters" around here. I also smoke cigars and I have to admit I do see some other "cigarsters", but infrequently.

With 5 grandsons all playing sports, I spend a good deal of my time at practices and games. Of course with kids and families around, I do not want to upset anyone so pipe smoking (or definately cigar smoking)) is verbotten. However, my son is playing baseball again with a County League Team that is made up of former College and Minor League type baseball players, and they play on weekdays later in the evening. With only a few family members present, and virtually no children I smoke my pipe and watch a great quality of baseball. And with the coming of fall weather, what is not to like?

I actually signed up one of my Sons' team mates who is a cigarette smoker who always complimented on the aroma of my pipe smoke. I gifted him a CC pipe, and several ounces of a quality aromatic and he is probably now one of us as he said the experience was great.

Other than that, I always feel like a leper or something.........
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- Pipe smokers appear rarer than hens' teeth up here in northern NJ. I've never seen one except on one visit to Smokers Haven in Metuchan (Metuchen? heh-heh), south of here. Up here in the north we have a choice of newsstands and a few drugstores that still carry OTC and some geezer tobacco, and a couple of wide flung cigar stores of varying quality.

In my immediate neighborhood, I think the neighbors, seeing me about the deck and yard smoking a pipe, think I'm pretentious or a Hobbit. Two, however, have commented on the aroma.
  • Options
    @motie2

My neighbors are constantly enveloped by either cigar or pipe smoke from my back yard.....NO ONE has ever said a word. Pretty soon with cool air on the horizon, they will also get to smell my chimnea while I am on the deck smoking in the evening. That should not be huge problem as both one of our side neighbors and our rear neighbors both have fire pits that burn occasionally. I don't think I could ever be mistaken for a hobbit, and if clothes "make the man" I would also never be mistaken as pretentious, but perhaps a bum (not that there is anything wrong with that).
  • Options
    Winter: Jeans, flannel shirt
    Summer: Jeans, cotton shirt
  • Options
    Summer: Shorts and Tee Shirt (Sleeves or Sleeveless)
    Winter: Shorts, Long Sleeve Tee Shirt, maybe a Sweatshirt. When it snows I might wear sweatpants.
    Pretty much the same thing all year (I don't like "big boy" pants).

• Options
    So it would seem.
  • Options
    I am a solitary man of sorts, but the thought of a gathering brothers briar seems quite appealing. I am from Labadie Missouri and work in Washington home of Missouri Meerschaum...I mean...there has to be some fellowship at my doorstep? Country Squire sponsor - lead a novice to the masters! I've been in this town for four years, pipe smoker for two, and the only encounters I've had with fellow pipe men is seeing two driving and smoking.
  • Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Newcomer
    Tiffin, Ohio.  I literally don't know another pipe smoker in this town.  I've heard Columbus has a great community, and I met a few this weekend at the show (including Premal Chheda and the ridiculously gracious Tim West), but that's a solid 90 minute drive for me.  Here it's just me on my back porch with my dog.
  • Options
    @Rusty69, I was at the show also.
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- My "profession" required suit and tie. So, being retired four years now, no more suits for me.

Unless SWMBO requires it.
  • Options
    Rusty69Rusty69 Newcomer
    @pipeman83 - sorry we didn't meet.  I met a lot of really nice people - both in the show itself and outside in the smoking area.   
  • Options
    @Rusty69, me too, maybe next year we can meet and smoke a pipe.
  • Options
    Maybe I should start a meetup and see if any pipe smokers show up. Than again, hosting could be a problem. Many establishments frown on this sort of thing.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    Live in Southwest  Ohio, outside of Dayton, rural area, no pipe scene at all. At one time, there four to five area pipe and tobacco shops, all but one have closed, that one turned into a coffee shop. Online is it, which makes This Pipe Life even more needed.
  • Options
    @dbh1950 -- Take a day trip to Straus Tobacco in downtown Cincinnati 

In business since 1880, Straus Tobacconist is the 4th oldest tobacconist in the nation.
    Offering a broad range of cigar, pipes and pipe tobaccos. 

Directions -- https://www.yelp.com/map/straus-tobacconist-cincinnati?start=Dayton OH

But, there's really no pipe shop in Dayton?
  • Options
    Out by Mt. Hood. Just me. Some horses. Cows. I know there's others out here. there's gotta be... Have 'met' a few others in the general area via Instagram, but nothing organized as far as I know. 
  • Options
    JLTRowJLTRow Newcomer
    @Londy3 You should start something and I'll come smoke with ya! I've gotten a couple messages back from the Triangle Area Pipe Smokers and it sounds like they have taken a bit of a hiatus but are hoping to start back up soon. If I hear that they have I will let you know. I've thought about making the trip to Fayetteville for the Pipe Club at Anstead's. I've got one piping friend in the area but we haven't gotten together yet. Otherwise I don't see much pipe action here in around the Triangle in North Carolina.
  • Options
    Just discovered a possible treasure, not known to me previously; until this the closest shop with any pipe stuff was an hour away.

R D's Smoker's Delight

1053 Stuyvesant Ave, Union, NJ 07083
    http://www.smokersdelight.com/

<<We carry assorted pipe tobaccos including aromatic and English blends. Also a selection of pipes including brands like Peterson, Stanwell etc. Pipe tools, pipe cleaners and lighters, leather cases etc. are also in stock.>>
  • Options
    @motie2 - Great News! Let us know what you think after you’ve checked it out. If it’s quality you could even post some pics & your review on the Local Pipe Shops thread. 
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    @Nevyen,  Hello, I’m just down the road from you in Oceana..
  • Options
    Charleston sc. all alone here in the low country 
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Went to the village pavilion today to see who’s around,,, None of the other pipe smokes from last year showed,,,,,don’t know why,, However it was nice sitting in the sun talking to the kids, and watching the people go by on the bike trail....they are soo funny.... The kids, mostly Hispanic, were very polite, and several stopped to chat for awhile,,, a fe even lit cigarettes..  all in all, a nice afternoon
  • Options
    kellyg53kellyg53 Professor
    Not many pipe smokers around these parts, I live in a small town in S.W. Kansas.  But I’m working on a few converts.  I hope to get a local club going at some point.  When I visit my “local” B&M, a four hour drive away, I take advantage of their lounge, but it’s mostly all cigar smokers.  They do have a decent selection of tobacco, occasionally including some difficult to find brands; scored an 8oz bag of Penzance not long ago.
  • Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    @kellyg53 - Isn't it strange though, how where there presumably isn't any pipe smokers the stock of tobacco and pipes keeps changing and depleting? They are out there. Why are they hiding? What are they hiding? Are they sitting on cellars full of McClellands or Esotericas and hiding from the world? If that is the case then why do they sneak out every now and then and buy up my "Burley Light Without A Bite" and my "Sunset Rum"? I don't think that's it at all. I think they are 104 years old and they send their chauffeurs in to pick up their tobacco in bulk once a month. Perhaps on the same day as their doctors visits. He has a list as long as his arm. You just wait and see. I'm gonna hire me a chauffeur! 
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    @OlePops

If you spin some of those stories that you tell, I will drive down and shuttle your butt around...............

• Options
    OlePopsOlePops Master
    edited May 2019
    @pwkarch - go check out my YTPC page...but not while you're driving.
  • Options
    pwkarchpwkarch Master
    Oh I did......and i enjoyed it and would like to hear more good ole down home humor