Home General

Do Pipes help relax you?

When you smoke your pipe...
Do you feel relaxed?
Does it boost your energy?
What does your pipe do for you!

Comments

• Personally, I am usually unwinding at the end of the day, working on relaxing.
  • I find them very relaxing. I have ADD, and as a writer it's easy for me to get distracted on multiple things other than writing. When I smoke my pipe, I find that having something to tinker around with as I write helps lessen my wandering mind from finding other distractions.

Of course, the internet doesn't help much with that, though.
  • I agree with you both, a pipe or Cigar relax me a lot, pipe seems to be more relaxing at time but there are a few good Cigars that are good. 
    So what are your best blends for relaxing?
  • drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I find smoking a pipe forces me to relax.  Ever since I hit that magic moment where I figured out my cadence and I slowed down and taste and enjoy the flavors being produced more I love it even more.  It puts me into a relaxed state that I use to unwind or for studying for school.  Cigar smoking can be relaxing for me but I seem to get in more heated conversation while smoking a cigar as I don't have to pay attention to it and it will stay lit.
  • I would have to say that a pipe helps me to relax and also it just helps me slow down and appreciate my surroundings. 
  • Definitely relax. When I started smoking a pipe my stress level went from high to nearly nonexistent. Its a lot like meditating in a sense.
  • For the most part it is totally relaxing. I am forced to sit and slow down.
    My favorites are gentle and mild aromatics for relaxing.
    Last month, however, I smoked a bowl of a specific VaPer blend. High nicotine. Jitters and head spinning ensued.
  • Yes. It's relaxing. It forces you to actually slow down. I find it helps me to mentally unwind from what I've been doing all day or, if it's a morning smoke, it gives me time to sit and plan out what's to come.
  • It's helps me to relax my mind, slow down, and think about life in general. 
  • Oh yes! So relaxing. I like to "zen-out" with my pipe. Play some Shostakovich, focus on breathing slowly. Maybe a dram. It's the best part of the day.
  • I think Drac2485 has it about right, even being  retired I tend to get wound up through the day and the loading, tamping, lighting and smoking just smooth out the evening.
  • It's definitely relaxing for me, it helps me slow down and take my mind off of things, especially things that are worrying me.
  • It's very relaxing, forces me to slow down a bit.
  • I think I need to smoke a pipe NOW, some things are getting to me today, if I snap at any of you please forgive me....having a bad month!
  • I love the community aspect of pipe smoking and I realize that many of you don't have that.
    I have a dad who lives next door, so a pipe load with him is the perfect way to end the day. Relaxing conversation with my 85 yr old Pop is a privilege that I don't ignore or take lightly. I also find that relaxing and smoking while skimming TPL has been an extended community of sorts. Thanks gents for helping create community!
  • Well today I went to foot doctor, was told I might need to be cut on, went to lounge (Cigar/Pipe) after that and a friend bought me a Cigar for my B-Day (last Sunday) so I smoked it and hung out with him and watched TV and talked, bought me a new pipe blend to try, headed home and watched a little TV then got on here, after I finish here I am going outside and going to try that new blend....I need to relax, hope this blend does it for me.  By the way, the store next to lounge does not have a huge selection on pipe smokes, I didn't even see any flake smokes, actually nothing but regular cut in small packages and some cans....didn't want to buy a can of anything until I try it in small pack first, I used to buy special mixes made in the shops.  Remember I was away from my pipe smoking from 1993 until 2014 so that was a long time without any pipe or cigar.  I was always to busy and didn't have places to smoke between them times.
  • @Wolf41035 sorry to hear about the doctor/foot business. That's a bummer. I find i really can't do much when I am smoking my pipe, so it is usually off to an audio book I go, or just sit and watch the sun set. It is very calming for me.
    @wolf41035 Sorry to hear about the foot.  I went through that with my hand the other week but lucked out and the shots they gave me helped.  
    @thesubcon  Another audiobook person. Woohoo!
  • @drac2485 wot wot! I have hundreds if you ever want any I can gdrive you some!
  • Audio books are GREAT, my eye sight sucks so audio helps, it also frees up your eyes and hands to enjoy your smoke!
    As for my foot, thanks guys but this is a normal thing with me, I have all kinds of health issues. I mainly posted that about pipe smoke and such.  lol
  • No pipe today, going to Cigar Lounge for Cigar event this evening!
  • OK I have decided my pipe with the right tobacco in it is better than most cigars for relaxing, although I have found a handful of cigars that do relax me!  LOL
  • RP has a good cigar that relaxes me!  lol
  • Had a very stressful week, including a pretty depressing weekend. Waiting for my job to start, and I'm just stressing about it. Grabbed a few pipes and went out to the garage tonight. One bowl in, and I feel like I'm doing much better. Just another example of pipe smoking at it's best.
  • My job is hectic as hell, and makes me want to pull my hair out. The best part of lighting up a pipe is that I can full concentrate on that one activity for just a few moments, and the rest of the world takes a back seat.
  • When I add a pipe, the conversations become a little longer and a little more relaxed. The book I'm reading becomes a little more meaningful. The prayer time is a little more focused. I'm more willing to watch and listen to my kids as they play. Some of my favorite times are when my wife is working on a knitting project and I'm enjoying a bowl of good tobacco. Great times. Great relaxation.
  • Who got everyone started on smoking a pipe or who did you know that smoked one and sticks in your mind when you smoke yours?
    I remember living in Columbus Ohio and my neighbor Paul Mincer would always smoke his pipe in his basement, I can still smell that pipe to this day, can't remember what he smoked but it smelled so good!  I think that memory is what made me pick up a pipe and start smoking!  Not sure where he is now but I will never forget him, he was like an Uncle in a way.
  • @wolf41035 see the discussion I started on that subject please.