Home General
Options

Other Hobbies

Comments

• Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited June 2023
    @Zouave1864
    Damn Yankees. Where's the pictures of the rebels?
  • Options
    @Zouave1864
    This mule, she’s starting to turn.
  • Options
    @Zouave1864
    Great comeback with that one!  :D
  • Options
    @Londy3 I can't speak for anyone else but I feel your interpretation is a lot more bleak than the reference. Not that this is a bad thing per say. I also feel like your painting has a glacier coming from the mountain rather than a lake nestled at the base of it. I also feel like your rocks feel more like a ridgeline that fades down to the glacier with the trees perched very close to the foreground as if it was a picture taken from atop this rocky ridge. I don't know that this is helpful to you.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for the comments @Whoispra.
    The reference is just that, a reference.  There was no intent on mimicking/copying the photo at all, only a mood or feeling through shapes and color.  More of, it is the "what you see" approach and personal interpretation and meaning.  
  • Options
    I couldn't believe this, the other day I was driving home, and on the side of the road someone threw out this clock! All I need to do is get some new weights for it but it appears to run. No I have to add clock restoration to my hobbies. The look on my long suffering wife's face when I pulled up with it sticking out the back window of my car was both priceless and terrifying.  I think she is tiring of my curb shopping. Also, anyone know where I can get some cheep clock weights? I found them from the company that made the clock but they are around $300!
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Zouave
    Nice find.  I'm sure the parts and labor to repair it could be expensive. Maybe that's why they got rid of it?  Who knows.  People throw away good things all the time. Bring it back to life man!!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @Zouave1864
    Use your crucible and fill some corncobs with lead😬

And….where in the heck would the weights have gone?  Maybe they were used to bludgeon someone😳
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar there is a guy that drives around and picks up scrap metal. He got there right before me and took rhw weights and left the clock. If he had kept the clock together he likely could have sold it for over $1500. I hope he enjoys the few bucks the weights get him. 
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @Zouave1864
    “Step over a dollar to pick up a quarter”, silly.
    You should have chased him down and given him $20 for the weights…..hindsight’s 20/20.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
  • Options
    @Londy3
    I keep watching videos where they take and bottle their mead and then don't drink it for a year. 
    My first batch of basic mead lasted two weeks after bottling. It was a nice light amber color, very clear and if I did my calculations correctly, about 13% ABV. 
    I gave a sample to a pipe club member who works as a brewer for one of the craft breweries in New Orleans and he said it was very good and was surprised it was my first attempt.

I took a sample of the strawberry mead I'm getting ready to bottle to our pipe club meeting and he thought it was pretty good also. 
    I'll take some pictures when I bottle the strawberry mead tomorrow and post them.
  • Options
    @Londy3
    These three bottles are going in my closet for aging. 

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @PappyJoe
    Looks really good man!!  Thanks for the update 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I'm curious,  how much honey does it take to produce what amount of mead? Ho ey is so damn expensive  around here.
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited July 2023
    @Zouave1864
    The first thing I learned was "Don't buy honey in a grocery store!" It's more expensive and despite what some containers say, it may not be pure, raw unfiltered honey. The raw, unfiltered honey is usually more expensive. Also, you have to read the label to see where the honey is from. It may say "Local Honey" on the label and actually be from a different state.

I buy me honey from local farmers markets or bee keepers. That way I know I'm getting fresh, raw & unfiltered honey. I pay around $17.00 for a quart jar which usually holds about 44 oz. of honey by weight. By comparison a 16 oz. jar of honey in the local Walmart sells for around $9 for 16 ounces. That means I would have to pay around $27 for three pounds. 

As a general rule, it takes 3 lbs. of honey for a 1 gallon batch. You won't get a full 128 oz. of finished honey because there is some waste between steps but you should get from 90 to 100 ounces of finished mead. 

After the initial expense to buy all the reusable equipment, I would say it costs about $20 for a batch. With the strawberry mead, I bottled about 96 ounces or four .750 ml bottles. That breaks down to about $5 or $6 per bottle. I see commercial mead selling from $10 to $30 a bottle.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe thanks for the explanation.  It sounds like a fun hobby.  
  • Options
    When I grew my own tobacco several years ago, I rolled some cigars with it…..not really cigars (the leaves were not “cigar” fermented).  I had bought a cigar tuck cutter to “spiff” up my hand rolled cigars.  The cutter trimmed them perfectly, however, it was missing the length gauge bar, washers, and eyelets (used as a wing nut type of fastener to hold the bar in place).  I made my own today out of some sheet metal and bought the missing hardware.  Also, it was nailed to the bottom board.  I saw the countersunk holes and decided it should have proper steel, slot head wood screws instead of the nails.  At some point I may fasten it to a cigar rolling/cutting board.  We have steel stamps at work, so I added the numbers along the scale on the wood (which it did not have originally) and also added the last inch of hash marks with a somewhat dull cold chisel.  I used the cold chisel to mark the metal bar and some smaller number stamps to mark the bar at the 6”,7”,8” marks (the original would not have had these either, not even the marks).  Notice, I errored on the side of caution when stamping the 6” digit in the wood, I didn’t want to split out the edge.  It looks a bit off….because it is🙂.  I may soak the new metal parts in a mixture of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and salt for awhile to get them to rust/patina
  • Options
    @Londy3
    Interesting off center point of view!
  • Options
    I'm kinda off-center