Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Cob Breakin

When I have a new cob pipe I try to smoke it down to the end with hopes to char the wood stem in hopes to allow for more enjoyable smokes after it is burnt out. I have seem some people fill the bottom with pipe mud. I was wondering what the rest of the cob pipe owner here prefer to do when breaking in a new cob.

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Honestly, for me it's a cob. If it gets destroyed... Oops to bad I'll get a knew one. However, I have been reading about the stuff you brought up and experimenting. Also, I love cobs because they don't require the normal break in of a new pipe.

Pipe mud- from what I've read it just helps to keep the bottom from burning out, under the stem in the bowl. The pipes that have hardwood plugs shouldn't need it as the plug serves that purpose. I bought some from Aristocob to try but haven't had a chance yet as my cobs have the hardwood plugs.

Charring the stem in the bowl by smoking down to it. I finally tried that the other day and I prefer to not purposely do it again as smoking pine is not pleasant. However, the idea is that by charring the wood you actually make it fire proof and it lasts longer.

Cutting the stem back- I have heard that some people actually completely remove/cut the stem back so it is not inside the bowl. I thinks it's so it doesn't catch fire but I may be wrong. I read that some don't do it because it just leaves more unburnt tobacco in the bottom of the bowl, since the hole in the stem is actually above the bottom, and the stem actually acts as a filler or plug.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    I do agree that burning down to char the pine stem is far from pleasant. I expect if I was to cut out the stem I personally would fill the bottoms of the bowl with pipe mud as not to have unburnt tobacco in each bowl hard wood plug or not.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @disrib I see where your coming from just make sure you fill it high enough that the daft hole in the stem is close to or level with the bottom, you don't want it to high, IMHO
  • Options
    I'm with @drac2485. It's a cob;  I load it and go and don't sweat it.
  • Options
    Pipe mud to the level of the draft hole if having a little dottle bothers you, but I don't do anything at all to the insides of my cob bowls.

I kinda like having the space below the shank in the bowl.
  • Options
    If you keep smoking your cob and don't clean the dottle from the sides of the shank, eventually the tobacco will carbonize and fill in.  If I get a taste of burning wood I make pipe mud with Honey and water and fill it in.
  • Options
    I don't use pipe mud on most of my cobs, but if the wooden shank (birch, not pine, BTW) is too high in the chamber, with mud with or without a wooden plug I'll raise the bottom with mud. Burn-through is a consideration if you happen to have one of the Morgan Nosewarmers without the wood plug, because at best the bottom is 3/16" thick.  Scott
  • Options

In my house, the cob deserves the same respect as any high grade or production briar. I always pipe mud the bottom of the bowl, and smoke gently until a good cake starts to build. I am reluctant to burn out the birch shank extension, and try to preserve it, under the protective pipe mud. When done properly, the cob becomes unadulterated and perfectly broken in with love and patience. Just because it is a cob, doesn't mean it deserves to be abused. On the contrary, it deserves the loving patient breakin  that all pipes deserve. In the long run, you will have a pipe that serves you well, with a minimum expenditure.

• Options
    Pipe Mud???? Not sure what this is, although at a guess it is pipe ash mixed with???  Honey and water seems to be one thought, what are some other recipes????

I have two cobs coming in my next order from P&C so this thread is of more than passing interest.
  • Options
    I have 6 cobs of various shapes at the moment. I have never put pipe mud in the bottom of any of them. The oldest are a pair of Missouri Meerschaum Legends I bought 6 years ago and they still smoke good. I like the Legend size because they are good for a 30 minute smoke. I also take two of them when I go fishing.
  • Options
    I never use mud or anything like that, I tend to allow it to burn down to the bottom.  After a half dozen or so smokes the woody flavor at the bottom goes away.  I am of the school of thought that building cake is a good thing in cobs (many websites say the opposite, that cake prevents the cob from cooling the smoke) I find a well seasoned cob lets the flavor of the tobacco come through better, again this is just my opinion-my father never seemed to buy into the idea that pipe smoking needs to be complicated and I agree with that train of thought. 
  • Options

@abcbill, Bill, I always use cigar ash mixed with saliva when mixing up a batch of pipe mud. You will notice that after mixing, the pipe mud begins to get watery after sitting a couple minutes. I like to continue adding cigar ash into the mix, until I get the mud the consistency of brick mortar. I want it gritty with very little moisture. If the mud is too watery, it will tend to chip out more easily. Another reason I like pipe mud, is because once I have it packed into the bottom of the bowl, I can use a pipe cleaner to make a perfect trough, similar to what you find in a  well engineered briar or meer. After mudding the pipe, I will let it sit for 72 hours to properly dry.

The pipe ash serves the purpose of bullet proofing the bottom of the bowl, as well as bringing the bottom up to meet the draft hole at the perfect height. A factory cob can last for years, but the weak point is in the birch shank. A custom cob that has had the shank replaced with a more durable wood and a vulcanite or acrylic bit, can easily last for decades.

The entire process is fairly quick and simple, and can be easily performed without a set of calipers.

• Options
    Dutch...much obliged. Never heard of the process. My current process is using P&C Virginia/Burley Cube-cut as a base for all bowls of tobacco and working with the ash and the resulting "wet heel", letting the pipe rest, then smoking another bowl over the top of the resulting matrix. In broad context, I suppose there is some cross-over. 

Gonna take it up a notch...

Hmmm---wonder if scotch will work???

• Options
    Just a question, are "Forever Stems" still out there? They were great to convert Cobs to Churchwardens.
  • Options

@Woodsman, Dave Wolff of Walker Briar Works sold his Forever Stems biz to Pat Morgan of Missouri Meerschaum around May of 2015. Everything went smoothly for about a year, and then in the spring of 2016 Old Log Cabin Pipe Works (The new name under the new ownership) posted a message on their website stating that they were having issues due to a "disruption in shipment of materials."

Hopefully, they will be able to continue to produce these high quality stems at some point down the road. I have 2 of them, that I purchased from Dave, one in vulcanite, and the other acrylic. IMO, they are a must have for any cob you keep in regular rotation. I especially like the little stubby nosewarmer models.

Do a google or bing search for Old Log Cabin Pipe Works, and keep an eye on their homepage for updates.

• Options
    xDutchx thanks, went to the site and they're still out of material.
  • Options
    @xDutchX--any other purveyors of replacement stems??? Now that I have two MM-CCs I can see the need for the replacement stems.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm trying to find some better stems for mine as well, I was not aware it would be this hard to find stems that fit my MM pipes!
  • Options

@abcbill, you fellas might want to consider buying cobs with the higher grade stems already fitted. In most cases, you will spend the same amount of money for the pipe with the fitted stem as you did purchasing them separately, and you will have a matched stem for every pipe. One of the problems I had when I tried to buy just 1 forever stem, and use it with all my cobs, is that the shanks sometimes have slight variances internally, and then the end result on the tighter fitting stems, is a cracked shank. The birch shank isn't as durable as some of the aftermarket cobs, with upgraded shanks and stems.

There are several sellers on ebay that buy their cobs directly from MM, and then replace the stem and/or shank with higher grade materials. If you go ahead and buy the upgraded cobs, with a little pipe mud, they have the potential to last decades.

When we are talking around $25 to $30 for a long lasting cob, they are still the best bang for the buck, and my recommendation for a new pipe smoker attempting to build a regular rotation.

• Options
    @xdutchx--again, thank you for the wisdom...incidently--the pipe mud suggest is just killer good. I have two new pipes and am going to use the technique with both. Also, I am gonna start a Pipe Mud topic..please look for it...and please, again, share your knowledge...
  • Options
    @abcbill, thanks for the kind words. I am just passing along valuable information that was graciously passed on to me. A large part of the enjoyment, is the experimentation with different blends and different type pipes. As they say, it's more about the journey, than the destination. Please let me know, anytime I can be of assistance.
  • Options
    Whenever I buy a pipe from MM I always order some of their plastic stems for spares. They only cost fifty cents each. Being that I smoke my cobs while working on cars, yard, etc. and I clench while smoking them so I dent the stems often.
  • Options
    The Cobbit Pipes from MM have hard rubber stems and I don't see that they're selling spares for them yet.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Yes, if anybody knows if, where or when the Cobbit series gets replacements stems let us know. I love my Dwarf and smoke it often, just a matter of time before it needs replacing.
    @Aristocob Scott do you know anything about Cobbit stem replacements?
  • Options
    @SLCarrico they aren't available yet and MM has a hard enough time getting enough for new pipe production. As soon as we have them available you better believe that I will be yelling from the rooftop. Scott
  • Options
    I bought two of the Cobbits in 2015. Recently broke the stem on one of them and now need either a new stem or a new cob.
  • Options
    After looking closer at the photos of the Cobbit I realized I got one in a MM grab bag of seconds (just a shorter stem) It is still longer than any other stem I have from MM and is a great pipe for strong perique/"Bayou" type blends. 
  • Options
    One of the really nice things about MM is they really go out of their way to help their customers. Drop them a line or give them a call, they'll usoally be glad to help.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Fortunately the Cobbit pipes are not expensive.
  • Options
    JaGri1JaGri1 Newcomer
    @Woodsman just fyi i went to the old log cabin website and it appears they have material again.