Home General
Options

Favorite Smoking Weather

Since many of us are sentenced to smoking outside, what's your favorite weather to smoke in?

Comments

• Options
    Since I'm in my garage, I prefer an nice cool spring/fall evening, perhaps with a bit of rain. There's something about a nice, crisp evening that begs for a pipe to be enjoyed with it.
  • Options
    Definitely like it to rain when I'm sitting in the garage during the summer. Otherwise a nice fall or spring day sitting under the trees in the back yard. If it's not to cold in the winter, I like sitting around the fire pit with a pipe.
  • Options
    I have an enclosed front porch so all weather is good. That's my favorite place. I do enjoy it when it rains though. I smoke inside also my lady doesn't say anything so I guess I'm lucky.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Preference is a perfect 65 degrees with a 2-5 mph breeze on a cloudy day.  Reality is very different.  Living in Texas, I prefer the weather not so hot I melt or so cold my pipe freezes to my lips, still air or at least not so breezy that I can't keep a lighter lit, and as far as shade I'll take whatever but I still end up in the sun.  I have been know to hide in the entranceway, outside the front door, to smoke when raining.  All in all my favorite weather to smoke in is weather I can smoke in.
  • Options
    Give me a Saturday morning in October and it will be perfect, no matter the weather.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Where I am right now it's 90+ degrees F and the humidity is a tad over 70 percent. Not sure what my favorite is, but this is not it.
  • Options
    @topaz - I feel your pain brother. There are days in SE Louisiana where we get 90+ with 90% humidity and I don't even think about lighting up. Makes me appreciate thunderstorms dropping the temp below 80 even more.
  • Options
    I live in Houston now, but I am originally from Michigan.  There is something really special about lighting up a bowl outside at night during the winter with snow on the ground.  The air is still and sounds are intensified by the cold.  I love sound of that soft crackle and the sight of the glow from the expanding tobacco with that first light.  Getting homesick right now just thinking about it.
  • Options
    Late fall just about the time the temp drops to about 50. Early morning right before sunrise with a hot cup of coffee on the old porch swing. 
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    I smoke inside 85% of the time,But a cold winter day with snow on the ground
    begs for a bowl enjoyed while taking a short walk.If I'm feeling particularly frisky
    I'll fire up a cigar and split wood.Even though I don't have a wood stove/fireplace.
  • Options
    I like cool summer nights or fall , the summer is just to hot to smoke outside during the day, it gets your pipe hot, its been in the 90's here most of the summer. I also enjoy a nice, steady rain, as long as its not a thunderstorm , there's just something about a nice rain and pipe smoking.
  • Options
    @pipeman83 there's nothing wrong with a good thunderstorm as long as you're safely inside your garage and not on the water in a boat. In SE Louisiana a good rain can drop the air temp by 15 to 20 degrees. 
  • Options
    I like an icy cold, below zero day sitting by the fireplace with nothing to do or nowhere to go. Really anytime when I can relax and I don't feel like I should be getting something done.
  • Options
    I'm from California. I didn't know there was anything besides perfect days? :)
  • Options
    I get off work at 11pm. Through summer and early fall, with clear skies and no moon, it is a perfect time for star gazing with a good smoke. I love it!
  • Options
    @mangoandy - How's that drought, high taxes and lack of personal freedom working for you?
  • Options
    Spring or fall....middle 60's is my preferred weather
  • Options
    @PappyJoe - touche' - now you've just made me depressed, but really only about the drought. Lifelong Californian's don't seem to feel the sting of government impingement or the lack of real seasons.  Like the Isarelites born in Egypt, I guess we've only ever known slavery. :(
    But, try as I might to ever consider leaving...I'm a spoiled Californian who LOVES consistently good weather, the Pacific ocean, farm-fresh food, wineries, redwoods, killer Mexican food, and everything that comes with the goofy Californian culture. 

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    Spring thru Fall in the evenings is my favorite time ideally temperatures from the mid 50s to the low 70s as I do most of my pipe smoking outdoors.
  • Options
    @mangoandy - consistently good weather? Why do you think you are in a drought? Farm Fresh food? Do you think California is the only state with farms? Come to Louisiana and try the strawberries, creole tomatoes and satsumas. Wineries? We have a few here also and you can buy any wine you want at any gas station, drug store, grocery store, etc. Killer Mexican food? Yep. Got that too and I would match the cuisine available in New Orleans to anything you have in California. We do farm to table and water to table like no one else. Goofy California culture? Hell, man! We have Mardi Gras and there is nothing in California that can touch that. I will give you the Redwood trees, they are spectacular. But you've have never taken a boat ride down a Cypress lined bayou either.

• Options
    @mangoandy - and we have the St. James Perique factory and plantation.
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    @PappyJoe, you need to work for Louisiana Tourism Office. Talk about a community that comes together in a time of need. The Cajun navy did wonders for those disaster victims.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe - Yeah yeah yeah, but I'm talking about my own backyard. We harvest over 25 different fruit trees. Not to mention the family vineyard and winery which produces killer Zinfandel wine every year. There is also the fresh olive oil from our olive orchard...and then in under two hours I am paddling out in an ocean where we can surf some of the best waves on the planet. 
    That being said, you drive a hard bargain for your state and I've never been on a bayou. As I read through your description, I think I heard an invitation to visit the fine state of Louisiana. I assume you have room for me, Mrs. Fletcher and the rest of the family at the PappyJoe motor inn?

Screen Shot 2016-09-08 at 6.03.46 PM
  • Options
    PappyJoe,I live in an apartment complex so I don't have a garage, I either sit out on the front lawn or under the canopy of the front door.
  • Options

Fall is my favorite time, I smoke on the patio if it's cool and on the porch if it's raining. Winter is  another story.

• Options
    I like any weather I can get. Of course I am one of the lucky ones I smoke indoors and out.
  • Options
    We've been experiencing some cool weather for the past week. Mornings have been in the mid-60s to low 70s and late afternoons have been under 80. I've really been enjoying sitting outside and smoking.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Apprentice
    I live in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago, we have a sun room on our patio, screens, window's and a little stove. so almost any time is perfect. I agree with Pappy though when we hit the dog days of summer 90 degrees and 90% humidity, it's not to fun to sit out and light a bowl. I will say rain is nice but when it's dark out and the snow is coming down, big, gentle flakes, and the stove is going, it's a perfect time to light a bowl, and reflect, on the majesty the surround's us. 
  • Options
    Nice cool evening out here in the Golden State tonight with a nice sprinkle over our drought ridden land. Beautiful!
  • Options
    Garage open door, fall weather