Home Pipes & Tools
Options

How do you feel about estate pipes?

2»

Comments

• Options
    We are going on a antique shop expedition tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if I find anything worthwhile.
  • Options
    Most of my pipes, especially early on in my pipe collecting days, are estates from eBay. I don't shop for pipes on eBay anymore, as I've lost too many last minute bids, or paid more for a pipe I didn't want to lose than I've wanted.

Still, there's something special about owning a nice estate pipe. As others have said, you feel like you've established a connection with someone through history. And theres part of me that thinks about my pipes, and how one day they will belong to someone else, and I hope that they are cared for just as much as I care for them now.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe - Ok...so I took your advice and on a whim I dropped by the one antique shop in our very small town. There were several poorly kept pipes, but I was pleased to find two pipes in pretty decent condition. One was a Comoy and one was a Dunhill. I have pictures of them over on my blog. I'd love for you (or anyone else) to weigh in on the value/price I paid.

Recent Estate Pipes - Comoy and Dunhill

Thanks, Fletch
  • Options
    @mangoandy - from the photos the look in decent condition. What did you pay if you don't mind telling us?
  • Options
    @mangoandy just followed you on twitter
  • Options
    $17/each what do you think?
  • Options
    $17 bucks for either a Dunhill or Comoy pipe is an absolute steal. They both look like they should clean up nicely with a little TLC. They'll serve you well!
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @Mangoandy nice blog man. Also, nice grab on the pipes.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @mangoandy  very nice find.  $17 for a Dunhill and it doesn't look to be to bad of condition is a steal
  • Options
    Those were both steals. I dream about finding a Dunhill in restorable condition but haven't seen any in the places we've been. Same with a Comoy.  We have already started planning our next weekend excursion for the end of the month.
  • Options
    I think estate pipes are great. Several of the pipes I own are estate pipes. Got some really good deals on pipes that I would have never been able to get new.
  • Options
    @mangoandy  HOLY CRAP....way to immediately make a couple hundred bucks immediately!
  • Options
    @thesubcon - I know. When he told me the price, I almost broke my arm reaching for my wallet.
  • Options
    I have a good number of estate pipes which I've gotten from Ebay and from haunting different sources. I've only gotten 1 bad pipe from a someone on a figurative meerschaum that had the stem glued on. I took it as a challenge. A razor saw parted the stem and my buddy's machine shop supplied the threaded adaptor that was used to make it useable. It's now a good smoke and the Figure is of Versingetorix which I always wanted.
  • Options
    The thought of putting a stranger's pipe into my mouth once horrified me - but now when I find an old pipe in an antique shop or resale store I'm as excited as an archeologist uncovering an ancient tomb. I have bought one or two estate or 'pre-smoked' pipes off EBAY ... but for the most part the joy is in discovering them firsthand. You can get a close look at the condition and better evaluate (based on your personal expertise) if you are capable of restoring the pipe to usable condition. There is a certain satisfaction in bringing an old pipe back to life - and putting it back to work. A pipe on the shelf of an antique or resale shop is an abandoned orphan - but take that same pipe home and place it in your pipe rack and it's a valued member of the family.  
  • Options
    MikeG88MikeG88 Newcomer
    Love them.You can get some nice pipes at a great price! If you buy them restored they clean them like new.Its a good way to build up your collection.
  • Options

IMO, some estates are much more desirable to own than new unsmoked pipes. Briar from certain regions will give a fantastic smoke, that cannot be duplicated with pipes in current production. For instance, if you find an estate that is 50 to 75 years old, made from Algerian briar, you will most likely have added a rare gem to your collection.

• Options
    In most cases I call them "rescued" pipes if you find them at antique/collectible malls, shops or flea markets. They are pipes that were cast off by those who saw no value in them. Some are not worth the effort of cleaning. Some are too damaged to clean & restore. But every now and then you find  a jewel sitting in a dusty display case or stuck in an old pipe rack.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I think that I cherish some of my estate pipes more than the ones I have gotten brand new. There is something about an estate pipe that holds a connection like @thebadgerpiper said it makes them special. I would never part with my pipes that have come from family members of course and they mean the world to me. The estates that I enjoy which I found and cleaned up myself just hold a special meaning. Kind of like finding a new friend and getting to know each other, and maybe some day if no one from my family wants them; someone else may get my pipes and enjoy as much as I do.
  • Options
    After a thirty year haitus I resumed pipe smoking and bought two additional Carey's, one an Apple with a flat saddle bit anfd the other a large billiard, use, on eBay for less than $20,00 each including shipping. As long as you use your head and follow the rules, you'll be OK:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 18.8px 0.0px; text-align: center; line-height: 36.0px; font: 28.0px 'Helvetica Neue Light'; color: #323333}
    p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 22.0px; font: 15.0px 'Helvetica Neue Light'; color: #555555}
    p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 22.0px; font: 14.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #323333; min-height: 16.0px}
    p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 24.0px; font: 15.0px 'Helvetica Neue Light'; color: #323333}
    p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 24.0px; font: 17.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #323333}
    span.s1 {font-kerning: none}
    span.s2 {font: 15.0px 'Helvetica Neue Light'; font-kerning: none; color: #0554ba}
    span.s3 {font: 15.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; font-kerning: none}

How to Buy an Estate Pipe for Less

Pipe smoking or collecting elicits images of dark libraries, curling smoke and aged whiskey. Regardless of if you are a collector or are toying with the idea of pipe smoking, there are a few ways to get a great piece for less to capture the nostalgia of this masculine accessory.

There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale: new and estate.

New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. These estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions. Imagine finding a pre – war top of the line John B. Stetson, or a real Ferrari Dino for pennies on the dollar.

Estate pipes represent such an opportunity. If you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

eBay is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent estate pipe. There are literally tens of thousands of items under “ pipes” on eBay. However, a huge percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best postponed until one has gained the experience to be a savvy buyer. Until then, here is a list of some pipes we recommend from reputable pipe makers.

• Options
    What the heck? What's with all that garbage that got inserted above

Anyways, here are some tips to purchasing pipes on eBay:

1. There are no great pipes for a dollar or two. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 
    2. Stick with reputable pipe makers if you’re not pipe-savvy. Brands like Savinelli, Peterson, Dunhill, Stanwell and Davidoff will always offer you a great smoking experience if it’s authentic and the pipe is in good condition. Even less expensive brands like Dr. Grabow offer a good introduction to pipe smoking. 
    3. Look for pipes made from Briar, Meerschaum, and corn cob only. 
    4. Before buying or bidding, research the pipe on various pipe forums to see reviews and information. 
    5. There is such thing as counterfeit pipes so be sure you examine the photographs, read the description and determine whether the seller is reputable. 
    6. When in doubt, visit one of the many pipe smoking groups or forums like our TPL and ask the members about the pipe. Most are happy to help and will even vet the listing for you in some cases.

• Options
    @motie  - You got to watch those statements. This is a Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro I found at an antique street fair. I paid $3 for it.

savinell_giubileo_clean
  • Options
    @PappyJoe -- I'll stand by Statement #1 -- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

You are one very lucky guy......
  • Options
    True. I have picked up some pretty good pipes for under $15 though. Including a Savinelli Oom-Paul and a Mauro Armellini Caviliar - both 1970s vintage pipes. 

For the most part all you see are Kaywoodies, Dr. Grabow's and Medico's that aren't worth the price people are asking for them.
  • Options
    I may have screwed myself because the second hard store I frequent - which acquired a collection of pipes a while back from a gentleman who was forced to get rid of his entire collection due to health issues - noticed I've been coming in regularly and picking up the cream of the crop from his collection. And since I appear to be the only one buying them I was getting them pretty cheap. I started out paying a mere $5.00 for what was clearly the nicest of the collection. The next two times the price increased an additional $5.00 each time I came in, for pipes of increasing lesser quality and in greater need of work. This last time I went in he gave me the once over, assuming I must be making money off his pipes by reconditioning them and selling them for a high price, so he and upped his asking price to $35.00 for a no name basket pipe that was in far worse shape than anything I'd purchased up to that point. The cake had been allowed to build up so thick in the bowl I could barely fit the pick on my Czech tool through the opening - and the bowl itself was starting to split.         
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - hopefully you passed on that pipe. I hate it when we go into shops and everything is over-priced. It's gotten worse with shows like American Pickers. I have gotten into discussions with sellers about a price being too high and they say that's what they are selling for on eBay. I correct them and say, "No, that's what people are asking for. That's not what they are selling for."