Home Tobacco Talk
Options

More by Sutliff

Hello Pipe and Tobacco aficionados, hope all is well in your world out there. A little chilly out this way today with cloud cover however it's still a good day especially if your vertical one might say. I wanted to share and asked the question, is there any "sutliff presbyterian" lovers out there? I have always enjoyed the presbyterian mixture from the first time I smoked this blend, I really enjoy it especially during this time of season. Recently I have tried their new blends which are the Presbyterian "ordained" and "Reformation". If you have tried these two blends I would like to hear your opinion and which one do you enjoy the most. Thank you and be safe out there. Remember, smoke what you like and like what you smoke, take the time to contemplate.

Comments

• Options
    I haven't tried either blend, but my cellar is loaded with a variety of aromatic Sutliff blends. And I've always enjoyed their products.
  • Options
    Thanks ghostsofpompeii, I hope you’re having a great day and enjoying a great blend in one of your great pipes. Once again thanks for the response.
  • Options
    Sorry, not a fan of Latakia or Sutliff.
  • Options
    Thanks RockyMountainBriar for your response, this is what make “TPL” interesting. There are so many different opinions concerning the joy and relaxation of tobacco(s) and pipes. The “TPL” provides us the opportunity to communicate this fact. Thanks once again and enjoy your blends. :-)
  • Options
    @KABUL07
    👍🏻Like what you smoke and smoke what you like🙂
  • Options
    Since we are on the subject, I went looking for my Sutliff ‘Moulin Rouge”, one of the few Sutliff tobaccos I did enjoy.  It’s at least 10 years old, and it is finally almost dry enough to smoke straight from the jar.  Sutliff tobacco’s are soooo wet when fresh.  I hate paying for water/propylene glycol.
  • Options
    RMB, I agree with you when it comes to the very wet/damp tobaccos, it just takes away the joy from the very start of a pipe smoke. This may be changing lanes just a bit but I would like to share that in 2018 I purchased some "Dunhill" Elizabethan Mixture. I prepared a bowl and went for it, let me say I did not like it at all. So I jared it up and I put it away and not on purpose, I forgot about it until two days ago. RMB, I have been smoking it now for four straight days non stop. Yes it is that good, time has done a great job on this blend. Thanks, I just wanted to share. :-)
  • Options
    Sutliff:
    Almost all their blends are goopy, but here's what I've found, given my house temperature and humidity.
    I put down a couple of thin plastic cutting sheets I pick up at the Dollar store, then place 2 layers of absorbent paper towels on top.
    I then spread out the blend as thinly as possible and forget about it for at LEAST 24 hours!... that's right, 24 hours.
    I then check on it and go from there.
    There have been times when it has taken as much as 48 hours + to get thier blends in a better smokeable condition.
    Remember, this is all based on MY judgements. But it does seem to work for me...
  • Options
    What a process just to enjoy a bowl from a fresh tin of tobacco, this issue can turn a lot of pipe smokers away. However I have experienced this situation and relighting the pipe after each and every puff is unpleasant to me. KA9FFJ, I thank you for your feed back and please enjoy your blends and pipes.
  • Options
    Like I mentioned, I hate paying for water, propylene glycol, and probably preservatives to keep mold at bay.  I did an experiment to see how much weight was lost after drying my Sutliff to a smokeable moisture.  It was still a bit wet for me, it never dried out in at least a week, maybe more.  It’s been awhile since I did the experiment.  I think the weight before and after dropped around 50% if I recall correctly.  It means that the cost of Sutliff tobaccos is probably at least 25% more expensive than they look, as most tobaccos require some dry time fresh from the tin.  
         On a side note, In my opinion (which really isn’t worth much) I’m pretty sure the reason that C&D had a tin mold issue years ago was that they were trying to figure out how moist they could pack their tobacco (for profitability) without any mold prevention or propylene glycol, and they missed.  Just my two bits.
  • Options
    RMB, this is very interesting info. Once again I thank you. 
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited February 2023
    Not all Sutliff tobaccos are that bad. I just finished a bowl of Edward G. Robinson which is a Sutliff distributed blend and I didn't need to dry it. 
    Now some of them, like Molto Dolce are goopy. But let's not generalize all of their blends. 

They have over 412 blends listed on tobacco reviews and their blends are obviously selling well enough that many pipe smokers don't hate their blends. 
  • Options
    As an aromatic smoker I've come to expect most of the sweetest blends to be somewhat to extremely goopy, and I've learned to cope with it either by giving it a little extra drying time or dealing multiple lights til it gets going.    .
  • Options
    Try Boswell aromatics and avoid the PG.goopiness altogether.
  • Options
    Montecristo and other members of this conversation, I am really enjoying our communication concerning this issue. However "Monte" just touched on something that maybe all of us may wish to pay some attention too. "Boswell's", I personally never heard anything negative about their tobacco blends. Not saying that there are not any disappointments by customers concerning their tobaccos, I just have not heard them. I personally think "Boswell's" make some pretty good tobacco blends. Just stating an opinion of course. They pack and burn well, very good test, not many relights, most blends arrive ready to smoke. They appear to have a system that really works. :-)  
  • Options
    Boswell’s Northwoods and Countryside appeal to English tobacco fans, if the reviews are to be believed. 

While I enjoy a couple of English blends from other labels,  I have become quite fond of Boswell’s aromatics, leaving Sutliff blends behind. Boswell’s tobaccos remind one of Rattray’s aromatics, which are considerably more difficult to acquire.

Another thing about Boswell:   Nice folks and superior customer service.
  • Options
    Thanks "Monte" for the response.