Home General
Options

Tea and Pipes

Since I don't drink coffee does any one have any good tea, hot or cold, pairings with tobacco they'd share

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Sweet tea and straight Virginias
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Burly blend with a green tea, I have this tea that's the bomb. It's gingered orange peach, it's amazing in the morning with a good tobacco

• Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Personally I like Earl Grey,and Constant Comment but I would like to try a green tea with
    an english blend.I usually have coffee at hand,go thru about 4 to 5 pots a day (on a slow
    day).If I'm smoking a new blend or a real mellow blend I drink water.If I load EGR or OJK,
    I fill my low ball with scotch.Once or twice a year I might buy beer but don't count on it.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @LostMason message an addy and I'll send you some of my loose leaf.
  • Options
    @mhajec that tea sound great
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @drac2485 message me your addy bro, I'll send some your way
  • Options
    Lapsong Souchong is a great smokey tea to pair with English blends. Twinings has a great LS loose leaf tea that is one of the best I've found and easily the most affordable.
  • Options
    Ok, I'll admit being in the south sweet tea is my thing. I've never tried loose leaf tea but have always wanted to. Any suggestions where to start or what I need?
  • Options
    I smoke peach cobbler while sipping on peach tea...its fantastic!
  • Options
    @drac2485,you can pick up a Tea-spoon at Walmart pretty cheap,or for me a
    tea-ball is better.The ball is a small wire mesh job that you fill with
    loose leaf and the use like a tea bag.I like being able to let it steep
    longer.

@mhajec,Thank you,but Momma has got me some coming from a
    friend in Ca.She insists that we have to get the proper tea set
    now.There goes my next baccy order.Lol
  • Options
    @lostmason thanks for the idea of the tea-ball I had completely forgot about that. I know just where to get one
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Just remember not to over fill the tea ball or tea spoon. It may look like you don't have enough, however a small amount goes a long way. Plus you can always mess with the amount you brew, 1.5 ounce tins last a while. Also, teas have brew times, sometimes if you brew tea too long it changes the flavor profile towards the bitter end.
  • Options
    I use a gaiwan. It is a lidded steeping cup. You just put the tea leaves in the cup, pour your hot water in, then put the lid on. When it is finished steeping, you just hold the lip of the gaiwan (that's why it is flared) and hold the lid slightly ajar to pour the tea into your cup. No filters or anything else required. Some people even drink from the gaiwan itself, straining the leaves by holding the lid firmly in place, but I've never had luck with that method.

WARNING: Getting into fine teas is another leaf-related money hole. You've been warned.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @LostMason be sure to get a clear pot one of these days and get a tea bloom. They are cool to watch rehydrate and if you pick a good one the tea is not so bad either. Is she going to send you to finishing school too so you can learn the proper pour technique and high tea etiquette as well? 
  • Options
    @mhajec,Lol,I'm pretty sure she's trying to get me fitted for bloomers.In truth though
    she's more interested in the Japanese tea ceremony.But I just like a good stout tea to
    relax with and a gentle tea for smoking.I know that both are supposed to be the same
    thing but alas sometimes the relaxing can be more work than the smoking.
  • Options
    I know a Buddhist master who was also a Japanese tea ceremony master. He doesn't ever do the ceremonies any longer, even though there is a tea house on the temple grounds. He has gone over entirely to practicing gongfucha or Chinese tea ceremony. When asked why, he said, "Because Japanese tea ceremony is all about the ceremony, and Chinese tea ceremony is all about the tea."
  • Options
    So far as tea goes, I prefer English or Irish Breakfast blend brewed strong and served with a bit of milk, sweetener optional. My second choice is Constant Comment doctored with a little brown sugar.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @LostMason ceremonies be damned, I'm with @tomatobodhi's Buddhist friend, it's about the tea, not the flash. Not to say that the ceremonies aren't beautiful or steep in tradition, I just personally forgo the formality and go straight for the drinking of it. LOL
  • Options
    jacksons blend..from the UK is nice..had a christmas blend that was amazing,,smoked it with black mallory

• Options
    i prefer to add tea right to the pot and simmer..use a screen to filter out the leaves..
  • Options
    I can agree that it should be about the tea,but,(Saw that coming didn't ya)
    Some times it's about the culture and people behind the tea.I take the short
    road enough when I fire up a cigarette and down a pot of coffee from my
    Bunn.When I meet people I ask them where they're from and about those
    places.Tea is a worldwide tradition from many cultures,I would like to learn
    and touch on as many of them as possible.I like the English tradition of
    lemon and honey,and can't fathom using cream.But I am willing to try
    anything as long as it legal.
  • Options
    There is a large Indian population in my area (thanks to WalMart HQ), so I buy tea masala (spice) in the grocery store and it is quite delicious.

Many people here boil their tea leaves directly in milk and then add spices, but I haven't figure out quite how to do that right. I just spice the tea and pour in some cream.

I have never given any thought to pairing Indian spiced tea with tobacco. I probably never will, either... The spices are quite strong.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    @tomatobodhi is that anything like Chai?
  • Options
    The spices? I don't think the spices themselves make it 'chai.' Well, boiling the leaves in milk is how they make traditional chai in India. It is like comfort food. But the spices themselves... They are actually hot n spicy. That kind of spicy.

So, if you lightly spice the tea and milk while it boils, you get chai. The milk softens the flavors.

But people also simply put the spices into normal hot black tea, in which case it is like tea-basco. (See what I did there? :D)

Obviously, a little spice makes it a little spicy, but it doesn't take much to qualify. The stuff has kick.
  • Options
    mhajecmhajec Enthusiast
    Well, looks like I learned something new, and oddly it has nothing to do with pipe or tobacco. I'm going to have to give that a try, I love trying new things (to a certain extent).
  • Options
    Twinning's English breakfast tea has been pretty good with every tobacco I've smoked so far.
  • Options
    Iced sweet tea and a Virginia tobacco is fantastic!
  • Options
    I like a strong black tea such as assam, it holds up well to cream and sugar or honey and compliments English blends very well.
  • Options
    I learned a long time ago that a properly made ice tea is sweet enough on its own without added sugar. During the summer months I make sun tea by the gallon and refrigerate it as soon as it cools to an indoor temperature. I drink unsweet iced tea with my pipe most afternoons and its always enjoyable.
  • Options
    I'm with JamesH71: Twinning's either English / Irish Breakfast - a quality dark strong tea, 1 packet sweet'ner, no lemon, no cream & whatever tobacco I have on hand. Pipes & tea may be better together than pipes & coffee.