Home The Lounge
Options

Feeling Fresh for 2020.

Hello Pipe and tobacco aficionados, happy New Year and I hope all the new stuff you planed is working for you. Listening to some Stan Kenton and enjoying for the first time another blend of tobacco that I have never experienced before. I loaded a bowl of the "Esoterica Pembroke" that I had mentioned in the past and I would share that it is pretty pleasant in many ways I must say. The taste is different for me and I can not compare it to anything that I have smoked recently. However after the first few puffs I thought of the blends that I enjoyed made by "McClelland" which has this distinct overall taste to me. This blend just reminded me of this as I enjoyed the bowl. Stan Kenton and this blend came together without hesitation to make a perfect evening of relaxation for me. Remember, keep smoking what you like and like what you smoke. Happy New Year.

Comments

• Options
    @KABUL07 I love the old jazz standards as well. My favorite of the old tunes is Dave Brubeck's "Take Five". My preference is the German jazz fusion group Passport. Primarily their albums from the 70s'. Another great jazz fusion group from that era that doesn't get much publicity is "Brand X". Their earlier albums featured Phil Collins of Genesis on drums. Awesome stuff.
  • Options
    This is one of my favorites.
    I got to meet Bob, photo op and exchange CDs. Lots of good stuff here, just take a listen.
    https://youtu.be/P31VVD4jBl8
  • Options
    Thank you Pipe and tobacco aficionados for the feed back and yes, Dave Brubeck also does "Take Five" with Carman McRea and I feel that it is very well done. I had the opportunity to see Bob James with Kiko Matsui which was a great concert especially for jazz loves who enjoy key/piano work. By the way currently enjoying a cup of java and a bowl of Mac Baren's "Dark Twist Flake. This tobacco blend gives me a ruff start, nice mellow mid-way and a some what ending. Not bad but I had better flake(s). Now after a few puffs, let me get back in the net and share that when it comes to fusion I have not  listened to "Brand X" very much however the few pieces that I did have the opportunity to hear reminded me a little an artist by the name of "Jeff Beck", his earlier stuff around the late 70's and early 80's, (just a little). How ever "Fusion" will work with some Steps Ahead, Vertu, SMV and Elements, and yes, I do remember "Passport." What ever happened to that band ? As stated before, a nice bowl of one of your special blends, something nice to sip on and listening to one of your favorite artist should get you there. :-) Remember smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Thanks for being out there.
  • Options
    Put some music in and have my pipe. My fav tobacco is LL7 with a good glass of bourbon.  Excellent combination of you ask me. Just bought 8 more oz of the stuff.  
  • Options
    @Londy3 I don't have any LL7. Going to wait until the St. Louis pipe show and get some sample bags from Leonard...
  • Options
    @Londy3 , I have that BrandX album also, haven’t heard it in awhile. also have BrandX, Moroccan Roll, favorite song is Disco Suicide.
  • Options
    Any Allman Brothers freaks out their, a recent album was released called A Jazz Celebration Of the Allman Brothers, by Big Band Of Brothers. This is no soft Jazz outfit. They hit it hard, as one member said The Allman Brothers music is made for Jazz. Really good music.
  • Options
    Call me weird, but I've always got time to listen to "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" by good ole' J.S. Bach.
    "Blackbird" by the Beatles.
    "Flight of the Bumblebee" by the Canadian Brass (it's a tuba solo!)
    Just about anything from Eartha Kitt (the ONLY Catwoman for me)
    . . . aaaaannd perhaps a half-dozen others.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin
    Cat Woman...I think I like them all, but Eartha Kitt is the best.
  • Options
    On a side note; Kabul07, your choice for titling this thread  "Feeling Fresh" gave my daughter pause and me a good laugh as it has a possibly unintended connotation.
    Don't know if you are aware but it was a sort of advertising catch phrase for feminine hygiene products circa 2000.
    Now you may be wondering why I mention this.
    My daughter asked to use my computer and this thread was on the screen when I stepped away so she could check something.
    She said when she was finished, daddy did you know that the tube on a douche is called a douche pipe.
    I won't be smoking one of those.

• Options
    Thank you for the information concerning my post. No, I was not aware that I had offended anyone and please understand that that was not my intension(s) and I would never do that. The meaning behind the title of my post was in reference to a fresh start, moment and state of mind. I remember When we would return inside the wire, we wanted to feel fresh with hot chow, shower and a moment to contemplate, clear our heads a little, because we had very little time to do theses things if we had a chance at all. I would never be disrespectful to any person and I should have used more clarity in my communication(s). If I ever decide to post again I will be more careful in my communication/wording. Once again I offer my apologies to you and all.
  • Options
    @KABUL07 I don't think anyone here was the least bit offended. No need to apologize.
  • Options
    @KABUL07
    I’m pretty sure it was just pointed out as a humorous dual meaning and not offensive.  Maybe even for educational purposes?  They say you learn something everyday......I’m 55 and just learned the terminology/slang? of douche pipe.🤔  Useful to me, probably not, but also, NOT offended🙂
  • Options
    All involved are hereby absolved.😇
  • Options
    I'm old enough to remember when FRESH meant something else entirely: I remember my father's, "Don't get fresh with me, boy."
  • Options
    Or when acting "fresh" with a girl got one labeled as a Masher.
  • Options
    Ok @AnantaAndroscoggin
    ”Masher”?.....I may learn something new today too🤔
  • Options
    @KABUL07 Your thread was perfectly fine and there was no offense; I only posted my daughter's response because I thought it was very funny.
    A sort of 'out of the mouth of babes' moment.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    To be FRESH... or not to be FRESH... that is the question.
    🤔
  • Options
    No offense at all @KABUL07 we are all just regular guys mostly.
  • Options
    Ok, I finally had to look up the definition of “Masher”...learned something new today.
  • Options
    Funny, I am watching the old Carol Burnett and Friends tonight and guess what term came up.....Yep masher.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2020
    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE WEATHER.
    That is why it’s supposed to be around fifty degrees tomorrow in northern NJ.
    Meanwhile it’s snowing heavily, right now.
    Gives me that fresh feeling.

[An hour later, and it's lightly raining; no accumulation.]
  • Options
    Interesting, it was a beautiful 64F day yesterday, was going to take my big scooter for a spin but the damn battery was dead in the security fob.  Then I tried to fire the little scooter....damn charge tender does not keep the battery on the bike charged enough for some reason, and it would just barely nudge the starter.  It “ruined” the moment.  Instead, I unhooked the Jeep from it’s charge tender and it fired up with a little coaxing.  I took it to Tobacco Row to get some “cigar juice” for my humidor and a battery for my security fob.
         Today however, it is 33F and snowing.  The big scooter fired off fine with the new battery in the fob, no bike ride today pphhhffftt.  Kinda tough to keep the rubber to the ground when it is covered in snow and ice, at least for me anyway.