Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Savinelli 320

Hello Pipe and Tobacco Aficionados, around 2016, I purchased a "Savinelli 320" pipe and never smoked the pipe and it is now 2019. I really don't have a reason(s) as to why I never smoked the pipe except for I never felt to smoke it. I would look at this very nice looking pipe but never selected it for a smoke. Now I have other Savinelli's and they are very good smoking pipes to me, very good. I have an old savinelli autograph #5, what a winner it is. Now here we are, Nov. 2019 and I reached over and selected the 320 and in it I smoked some "McClelland's Gray Havens. The 320 is a filtered pipe and it is a very nice smoking pipe. I share this information because if you do not own one, I would recommend that you do. The pipe could be considered bulky/thick in its structure but not really heavy. I would not be walking around trying to clench it in my teeth all day, that would be a NO-GO. It has a nice size bowl which is an off and on all day smoke for me. Thanks pipe and tobacco family and remember, "Keep smoking what you like and like what you smoke."

Comments

• Options
    @KABUL07 The 320 is a modern classic. I am not a fan of thick pipes, but appreciate your post. The thing I love about the hobby of pipe smoking is the variety of tastes and the acceptance of opinions. 
  • Options
    Love the 320s I have 4 of them. Rossi, Savi Oceano, Savi 2017 Christmas, Savi "Basket" that I got in Italy on my honeymoon.
  • Options
    I've had two Savinelli 320 pipes. Note, I said had. Both were estate pipes, one was a Giubileo d'Oro KS and the other was a Sherwood Rock Briar EX. I found them to be too big and clumsy for me, especially the Sherwood EX. Oddly, they both whistled rather noticeably especially if you didn't pack them right. Could never figure out why, but being early pipes they weren't fitted for the 6mm filter, so maybe that's the reason. 
  • Options
    @KABUL07 If you're interested, I would be willing to sell one or two of them. The Oceano is unsmoked, the Christmas has been smoked 3 times, the rossi has been smoked about 10 bowls.
  • Options
    I have to say, the Savinelli 320 is a sharp looking pipe, and iconically Savinelli. It's not my style, as I'm more of a fan of sleeker Canadians, Billiards, and Lovats, but I love seeing them when they pop up on my instagram feed. They definitely have their following, and those that love them have more than one. 
  • Options
    I have 5 of the 320's.  A Roma, Tundra, Alligator Brown, Rossi, and Siena.  All are KS except the Tundra, which is EX.  It is almost too much pipe, you need a while to smoke a bowl full. 
    Obviously I like this shape.  I find it a good pipe for Heavy English and Balkan blends.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper That is what is happening to me. I'm starting to lean a lot more towards straight billiards, apples, dublins, and pots. More because of my struggles with being a wet smoker. I love the 320s, but i'm finding it harder to keep that passion alive. I'd like to remove some from my collection and purchase some billiards.
  • Options
    @Oddjob27 I hear ya. For me, I've learned that the simpler the pipe is in maintaining it, the more the pipe is smoked. It's a shame, because I really do like some of these shapes, but I know they won't be used as much.