Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Sutliff Private Stock Eastfarthing and Panna Cotta

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just ordered a tin of Eastfarthing from TobaccoPipes.com! Can't wait to try it... but at the opportunities I've had to try... might be a while... Haha
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - 100% agree.  I've tried both as well, Ghost, and think I'll be hanging with Vanilla Custard and saving a few $

• Options
    @FatherBriar
    @ghostsofpompeii
    Yeah, I think we established, elsewhere, that Molto Dolce = Creme Brulee and Panna Cotta = Vanilla Custard.  Albeit I find the "flavoring" of Panna Cotta to be a bit heavy handed compared to Vanilla Custard. I think the same is true of the MD = CB comparison. In each case, the bulk is the same as the tinned, but just a little dialed down. Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. It's happened before.... ask SWMBO.

BTW, I used the word "flavoring" because, even after reading up, I still can't really distinguish casing from topping/top dressing. I mean, I know the difference on paper, but how does one tell?

As I understand it, casing is a process that has tobacco absorb things like sugar, molasses, and/or cocoa -- sweeteners -- as a flavor base/foundation before adding other, more specific flavors. The type/amount of casing used can render the tobacco sticky (See: Molto Dolce); not a necessarily bad thing, but an attribute some folks find off-putting. Anyways, specific toppings or top dressings such as vanilla, rum, caramel, whiskey, cherry, yada, yada, yada, are added by evenly spraying a prepared tobacco blend. This creates a palette for taste and room note/aroma. 

Or am I wrong? And how do you tell in situ?

• Options
    @motie2 - I believe you are right on Panna Cotta having a "heavier" dose of "flavoring."  I've not had the Creme Brulee but I love my Molto Dulce.  The Panna Cotta also feels a little "gupier" than the Vanilla Custard.  

• Options
    Well I just scored a tin of Panna Cotta, a tin of Eastfarthing from P&C, said they only had 3 tins of Eastfarthing.This is the first time trying these blends so I didn’t want to go crazy buying a bunch.
  • Options
    @buflosab
    The Eastfarthing is outstanding; a good stand in for Frog Morton Cellar. The Panna Cotta appears to be a fuller flavored version of Vanilla Custard.
  • Options
    I love Panna Cotta by itself, but have found it to be a great mix in other aromatics -  adding richness and a flavor boost to an already great blend. It enhances and never detracts. I've never been a fan of Cherry blends, but of those I have in my cellar the addition of a pinch or two of Panna Cotta to each bowl can transform a mediocre cherry blend into a pleasant smoke. It seems to tone down that chemical taste associated with many cherry blends. At least that's my experience.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    i agree with you 100% once again.