Home The Pack
Options

Travel Meet Ups

2»

Comments

• Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin - What I always found interesting was everyone in engineering berthing stayed clean even thought working in the engine rooms was hot, sweaty work. I was fortunate in that my engineroom also held the freshwater evaporator so we made the potable water. As long as we kept making the water, the Master-at-Arms gave us a few extra minutes in the shower.

Let me explain. I served on an icebreaker April 1972 till July 1974. The breaker was built during World War II and given to Russia as part of the Lend-Lease Act. The Russians used it until they got it stuck in the ice and abandoned it and gave it back to the U.S. Navy in the mid-1950s. The Navy looked at it and said "We don't want that piece of crap. Let's give it to the Coast Guard." It had been in service for about 30 years when I reported aboard. We had a relatively small freshwater evaporator that took in seawater, boiled it, and condensed the steam into freshwater. When this happens, it leaves salt and other residue in the tubes which then had to be periodically cleaned to keep them from getting blocked. Think of what cholesterol does to arteries.  Anyway, on a good day, we could produce somewhere around 250 gallons of freshwater per hour or 7,200 gallons a day IF we were able to run it 24 hours straight. We had a crew of around 180 to 200 so figure 30 to 40 gallons per man per day. That potable water was also used for cooking and cleaning, coffee, bug juice, etc. And, because we were operating in salt water, the occasional fresh water washdown to remove salt. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    In the Armed Forces, especially the Navy and Coast Guard, "Soogie Powder" was equivalent to scouring powders such as Comet or Ajax
  • Options
    PappyJoePappyJoe Master
    edited July 2019
    @RockyMountainBriar - Powder cleaner. Think of the generic version of Ajax or Comet. It was a very strong and abrasive cleaner that the deck crew would spread on the teak deck (you don't build icebreakers with metal decks because of ice) and then scrub the wet deck with something like a buoy brush or holystone. 

It would be like using 60 grit sandpaper on your skin.
  • Options
    @motie2
    Well, My guess was close :)
    Ya lern't me sumt'in new today :)
  • Options
    @PappyJoe
    Ok Pappy.....I got buoy brush from @AnantaAndroscoggin......now we have "holystone"?.....I guess I need more translations....you old seadogs :)
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar  Basically, a sandstone brick attached to a stick if you were lucky. A form of punishment for lesser offenses aboard ship was to make the offender use the brick while on his hands and knees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holystone
  • Options
    Well, today is a good day.  I learned two things🙂
    I was thinking that such an activity would wear out the deck wood.  I read through the wiki link and indeed it did mention that as a possible result.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe Once on my first ship, WLV 604 Columbia had the "privilege" when our evaps were down of taking a shower in seawater directly pumped out of the frigid pacific.

I'd rather live with penguins for a month.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin - I remember the Columbia. Even flew over her a couple of times while on photo ops with the air station after I became a photojournalist. I know about those types of sea showers. When we had the initiation for crossing the Arctic Circle one of the final stages was getting blasted with cold Bering Sea Water. Crossing the equator/dateline was better because the water was definitely warmer. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe I never crossed any of those lines at sea, probably the closest I ever came was when the Chase did the very last ever Iceberg Patrol at Ocean Station Bravo (unless I mis-remember the name) thanks to satellite coverage being high enough to spot them.

Titanic, R.I.P.
  • Options
    A dude in our basic training outfit at FT. Benning was the victim of a GI shower, I of course didn’t take part in this, sorta felt sorry for him. This guy was catching all kinds of hell from mostly our DI and a few others all thru basic.
  • Options
    Bumping this back up because I'm headed out for some work travels... Will be in Houston next weekend and then in Salt Lake City in December. Can anyone recommend any pipe shops? If you're available and our schedules work out, would be awesome to have a pipe with you!
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper I live north of Detroit, but am in Milwaukee (often Franklin) at least 2 weeks a month. I'll be there next week, and then Tues-Wed evenings free the first 3 weeks of December. Uhle's is often on my stop list. Let me know if you want to meet up.
  • Options
    @flyfished I'm definitely interested in an Uhle's meet up. I'm not sure next week will work, but I think I can drive over after work on a Tuesday or Wednesday in December. Send me a message and we'll work something out!
  • Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited June 2023
    Visit to Cleveland and Little Italy. Stayed in new apartments near Holy Rosary Church at Mayfield and Random. Lots of new construction. Highlight was driving out to Cousin’s Cigar store on Chagrin where I bought eight ounces of one of their fine aromatics. Thought one or more of our guys were locals, but couldn’t find them. 

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Montecristo
    My old stomping grounds.  My family lives there. Pretty much owns all the homes there too.  It's getting very developed. It's not like the old days though.  My aunt and uncle live in the old nunnery behind the church. My cugino owns the old Philips 66, now a nail salon. Many great places to eat there. Best food in town.