Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Filters...Love em' or leave em'.

PIPE FILTERS. Some say they alter the taste and enjoyment of the tobacco by blocking the flavors and needing to use a stronger draw. Perhaps.
Others like myself feel better knowing that a good amount of tar has been blocked from entering my mouth. This is quite evident when I look at a used filter and see how dark in color it has become after a bowl full of smoke has passed thru it. I prefer to always insert a fresh filter ( my favorite being the Brigham system ) in any of my pipes that take them and use them only once. ( the Brighams can be rinsed off in water and used many times more ). Falcon rings and balsa filters are only good for one time use.
There is an exception and that is with the Medico and Dr Grabow paper filters. I don't like them. Instead, I insert a 2 inch length of thick pipe cleaner in the stem which does a nice job of soaking up any moisture from "wet" blends and also a good amount of tar from the smoke.
I have tried every brand of 9mm charcoal filters and find the Stanwell brand to be less restrictive than all the others. I hardly notice them when in place.

Comments

• Options
    I don't own any pipes with filters. If I get a new MM that has it, I dump it. If I have the need to do so, I run a cleaner through the pipe while I'm smoking.
    I also don't own any Medicos or Dr. Grabows,or smoke goopy aromatics. Been there.done that, well over 40 years ago.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I haven't had to much experience with filters but I'm neither for them or against them.  In my cobs that have filters I generally don't pay any attention to whether they have a filter in them at the time I smoke them, so sometimes I use a filter and sometimes not.  I have a Stanwell that takes the 9mm charcoal filters and I didn't notice any difference with or without the filter when smoking it.  My Savinelli's almost all have the balsa filters and I rather enjoy them on goopy aromatics but otherwise I usually forget to put them in.  So far what the filters do, I can do with a pipe cleaner as I smoke so, ehhh...  I have a ton of different filters I bought when I first started and may still have most of them when I keel over.
  • Options
    For the most part I don't use them. On occasion I will use the balsa Savenelli filters, but the balsa filters are designed for moisture control more than tar removal.
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
    I only have one Savenelli that takes a balsa filter. Given that I am a drooler, I appreciate the extra help controlling moisture. I have not noticed any flavor difference. Put me in the "Like 'em" category
  • Options
    What pipes I have with filters, I use balsa instead of paper. Most of them I take the filter out though
  • Options
    I really don't care for filters in my pipes.  They trap the full tobacco flavor I want.  Also, they are too messy to replace.  I don't replace them after every smoke...to each his own!
  • Options
    StoneyStoney Newcomer
    I throw 'em away.  I don't care for the mess.

But like most others, MoMeers are my only filter pipes.
  • Options
    Don't use them.
  • Options
    If I have a tobacco that is exceptionally goopy then I'll use s few clay Keystones in the bottom of the bowl. Anything is better than a filter which does little more than restrict the draw and collect all that nastiness the transfer it to the way the tobacco taste as you smoke it. A filter is suppose to be good for about two or three smokes - but I find that after the first smoke it's best to dispose of it immediately. If you hate having a pipe ghosted then smoking with a used filter is even worse. At least a ghost might contain the best elements of the tobacco you smoked, and if it's a blend you enjoy it might add to the enjoyment. Whereas the gunk captured in a filter is like smoking a bowl full of dottle.   
  • Options
    Never used one, never started and never will. Nothing against them, just not for me...
  • Options
    Carey's "Magic Inch" isn't a filter, but a moisture evaporator. Seven out of my nine pipes are Carey's.

• Options
    I just cant get into a filter.
  • Options
    @motie2 Have you ever tried one your Carey's WITHOUT a filter? If so, please give us a report...  OR... have you ever smoked another named pipe without a filter? If so, again, a report please... TNX...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I also have a Carey so I can answer that question as well. Because of the way the pipe is designed you really can't smoke a Carey pipe without the filter. If you look at Motie's illustration you'll notice the area designated The Magic Inch has holes in it to draw in cool air. Without the filter you'd be puffing like a locomotive but won't get any draw. The filter restricts the outside air flow allowing just enough air to cool the smoke while you draw on the pipe. It would be similar to poking several holes in a straw. You'll pull in air and probably won't even get any a sip of the soda to come to the top of the straw.  
  • Options
    Since I primarily have Savinelli, Rossi and cobs, I use balsa. I do like how it absorbs moisture. Don't think you can do anything about the tar though.
  • Options
    @Londy3 - I also have have Savinelli, Rossi and cobs in my collection.  You can omit the filters in those pipes and they will smoke fine but allow the passage of a pipe cleaner to go through.  In fact, Savinelli, and Rossi sometimes include a black tube in the little bag of balsa filters that initially comes with the pipe.  That tube is used in place of the filter and reduces the size of the draft hole.  You can also purchase them separately for a cob if desired.  Smokingpipes.com offers them from time to time in their accessories tab as well as cup o'Joes.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ -- In that one can run a pipe cleaner straight through a Magic Inch, I don't think of it as a filter at all; the design allows condensation and evaporation of any moisture collected by the papyrate sleeve. Here's a clearer diagram:

• Options
    @motie2 I get it. Thanks for educating me on the Carey...
  • Options
    Filters are not really filters, in the traditional sense. For pipe smokers, they absorb moisture primarily. If you find that a particular pipe benefits from the use of a filter, then by all means use one. Don't let the filter police intimidate you into forgoing the use of all filters. Some pipes will actually smoke better with a filter in place!
  • Options
    @Charles, yep, I am aware. However, I do see value in sopping up moisture with the balsa, I'm not one to always have a pipe cleaner on me out and about. I do the cleaning when done and I see how damp the balsa gets so yeah it works for me. Again, these aren't really filters just more of a sponge to keep the pipe dryer. Keeps goop from building up to I reckon. 
  • Options
    @motie2 Just saw a Carey on eBay. 0 bids, asking 8.99 +7.40 shipping. Ends in 2hrs. 40 min. Thought you might be interested...
  • Options
    I don't use filters on most of my pipes, I use the Papyrate sleeves on the Carey's that I have, super dry smokes. I also bend a coil of pipe cleaner around a pen body the right size that I cut into rings for my Falcon Humidomes that are also super dry. the papyrate sleeve last a few smokes, the falcon ring lasts 2 uses tops.
  • Options
    @Woodsman Didn't know you smoked Careys or I would have put you on my last post along with motie2...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I only have 2 a large Isreali Dublin and a nice bent Sitter they really are great smokers and I go to them often. The Dublin was the 1st Estate Pipe I bought on Ebay.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    edited December 2017
    @motie2 I agree with you I really enjoy my EA Carey pipes and I don't think of them as having a filter more like a system pipe. I just bought a new one the other day the Super Bowl 4 I put it to use for the first time a couple of nights ago and it is great. Has some thick walls and smokes cool.

@KA9FFJ I don't think the EA Carey pipes can be smoked without the 'papyrate' inserted. Like @ghostsofpompeii
      said if there isn't one in the system then you will not be able to get a good draw from the bowl; more air than smoke. I was skeptical at first but I bought an estate EA Carey and tried it and was pleased with how it smoked cool, even put it in my regular rotation.

I have a Falcon pipe that I sometimes use with some moist Aro's and I use the Falcon dry rings in the bottom:

They seem to work pretty good but I never reuse one more than 1 bowl full.

Also tried the Savinelli balsa wood filters in my Savinelli pipes but after a couple of bowls I find they tend to have an affect on the flavor of the tobacco. I normally use the converter with those pipes.
  • Options
    @piperdave -- I agree with one reservation:
    You wrote: <<I don't think the EA Carey pipes can be smoked without the 'papyrate' inserted.>>
    If you cover the slots/airvents in the stem you can smoke a Carey without a papyrate, but why would anyone want to, except in an emergency (no papyrates handy). The papyrates are cheap and easy to obtain and employ. Some folks change them after every smoke; I change after the papyrate turns brown, but I'm known locally as a cheap bastard.
  • Options
    Nice to know @piperdave Thanks for the info. I don't own a Carey but can understand the principles behind its success. If I ever have an estate sale find, I'll be taping you guys for the basics, tips and tricks...
  • Options
    I don't use filters, except on the rare occasion I smoke an aromatic toby. The reason I use them is for moisture management.
  • Options
    Hey, @KA9FFJ -- https://www.ebay.com/sch/Tobacciana/593/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=carey+magic+inch+-papyrate&_ipg=200&rt=nc

That's where I've purchased five of my seven Carey's. Just be a careful shopper. Read the descriptions; examine the photos; observe the seller's rating. Ask questions. I've had luck with both auctions and Buy-It-Nows. Not been burned so far.
  • Options
    Thanks @motiie2 I've written down the sites and will check on them from time to time. I can always count on you to steer a good direction...